The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
They're based in NYC? I'm here and i never heard of this station before yall brought this up.

Plenty of Carribeans all over the city, it doesn't make sense why they're not as vocal on the station. I find it funny they primarily put mostly Africans on the station when they're nowhere as numerous as Caribeans here and are mostly concentrated to Harlem and the Bronx where you'll find West Indians everywhere.

Yup, the creator is from NYC and I remember they had a casting call for hotep men and the location was NYC, so yeah.

"I find it funny they primarily put mostly Africans on the station when they're nowhere as numerous as Caribeans here and are mostly concentrated to Harlem and the Bronx where you'll find West Indians everywhere"

Exactly. :mjlol:

The creator is African so I'm guessing she's just heavily heavily biased in seeking out people similar to her. Because you can pick out a Caribbean way easier than an African. The African immigrant presence in America is a very recent presence.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
They didn't even have a CARIBBEAN panel like everyone else had theirs, they just went
with the "collective". :snoop:

HoW are you going to call it "- Africans vs AA's vs West Indians" with no West Indians in it?

They can't find any fukking Caribbeans in NEW YORK?!:dahell:

Motherfukkers have Nigerians and Ghanians on deck, though.

All the West Indians would have did was dikkride the African talking points :comeon:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
They didn't even have a CARIBBEAN panel like everyone else had theirs, they just went
with the "collective". :snoop:

HoW are you going to call it "- Africans vs AA's vs West Indians" with no West Indians in it?

They can't find any fukking Caribbeans in NEW YORK?!:dahell:

Motherfukkers have Nigerians and Ghanians on deck, though.

Just to chime in, the casting was really hard for this episode... we sent out a casting call on Twitter for BAs as in descendants of American chattel slavery and had first generation children of African immigrants replying... same for the West Indian panel, did a call for WI and had a lot of ppl removed from the culture but still considered themselves WI replying. And it was very difficult to tell ppl no that's not what we mean because then they hit the :dwillhuh::wtb: "So you're saying I'm not Black enough/WI enough/etc"

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
Just to chime in, the casting was really hard for this episode... we sent out a casting call on Twitter for BAs as in descendants of American chattel slavery and had first generation children of African immigrants replying... same for the West Indian panel, did a call for WI and had a lot of ppl removed from the culture but still considered themselves WI replying. And it was very difficult to tell ppl no that's not what we mean because then they hit the :dwillhuh::wtb: "So you're saying I'm not Black enough/WI enough/etc"
what the hell :mjlol:

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carl was being obtuse at his worst and ignorant at his best. If they really had an unfiltered and politically incorrect conversation on stereotypes Carl would have got his feelings hurt. I don't think that's where breh really wants to take it. I'm bout to watch part 2 in just a minute

Ain't he apart of a Black American fraternity anyway? I wonder how his brothers would feel about him sharing these opinions of their people.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Where in NYC are all these nigerians and africans?

Ive ived in NYC my whole life and dont know any Africans like they show them on the show.
Most of my black friends are carribean american or aa.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Where in NYC are all these nigerians and africans?

Ive ived in NYC my whole life and dont know any Africans like they show them on the show.
Most of my black friends are carribean american or aa.

If you grew up here, then you would already know we're quite heavy in Harlem and the Bronx(where i grew up). I know a few out in Queens too from my roommate. Now BK, i can't say cause I don't go there like that.

The thing about us Africans is that we usually keep mostly to ourselves.

Last edited: