The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
I find it very annoying and retarded when people try and seperate the Gullah from AAs when the Gullah have more in common with "mainstream AAs" near them than Islanders/Africans just not AAs in other areas like in the West or Northeast obviously.
Yup, plus seperating the two shows a lack of understanding of AA cultural development to begin with
:beli:

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
The attendance was mostly continental African's with some AA's mixed in. When the details of the slavery became graphic specifically when things like castration got brought up a lot of the African students were giggling.
Somebody would have got slapped for this bullshyt

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Her last name is clearly African.

And most half-fricans i knew growing up usually felt close with their African side than AA.

That is to be expected. Africans shame you if you lack knowledge on your culture whereas Americans are not strict with customs and language etc.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
"African immigrants are an example of what Black America could be".....no thank you i'll keep my culture over ANY immigrants culture :mjlol:

When somebody finally asks: What's the difference between African immigrants and similarly credentialed African Americans? :jbhmm:

It's gonna be some Cirque Du Soleil level mental gymnastics used to try and justify the preferential treatment :whew:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I wouldn't say AA are xenophobic but to say they are just accepting of everyone with opens arms is fukkin false :russ:

Maybe this might hold weight with the more liberal folks, but the avg brotha or sista doesn't really care about immigrants:ld:

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing either it's just an obsetvation :yeshrug:everybody looks out for their own group first.

again, as I already touched on

yes for the most part...

aframs have no beef with foreign blacks unless they're triggered to feel that way. Aframs accept outsiders with open arms...how else can you explain black foreigners being so easily absorbed into afram mainstream culture(s) w/o backlash from those same aframs? We never accuse them of cultural appropriation but as soon as an afram takes part in their culture(s), they get called a culture vulture:jbhmm:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Because America forces everyone into racial castes.

A 2nd generation Chinese kid or a Vietnamese kid are both going to view each other as "Asian American" despite their different nationalities. In America, a chinese sees a korean, "oh he's my fellow asian"

But AAs seeing an African person as "black" DOESN'T mean they see them or relate to them as AAs, which is YOUR ETHNICITY.

of course aframs know they're foreigners.....they still relate to them as fellow "blacks":gucci:

You're not gonna look at a Jamaican-American speaking patois on a Brooklyn corner as your "fellow". You just know that they're black. That's about as "fellow" as it gets.

aframs look at spanish speaking "black" looking latin americans as fellow "blacks", why wouldn't they for patois speaking jamaicans?:comeon:

Go up to your average AA and ask them if they even give a fukk about Africa, let alone know the history of the continent.

"i ain't no African, I'm American"

they might not care about africa's deeper issues:skip: but most wouldn't say that they don't care about or relate to them. Put aframs in a room of continental africans and white americans, who aframs are more familiar with and it's basically a foregone conclusion aframs will rock with the africans first because of shared "blackness".