The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside

Are you really this vapid and lacking in reading comprehension?

Me stating that Nigerians don't speak for and represent all Africans equates to me caring about what they're doing? You have more posts in this this thread than me :comeon:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. No more kumbaya shyt from us :hubie:

lol there never was kumbaya. The AAs who visit any African nation are welcomed with open arms, African Immigrants cant say the same from the looks of the "light hearted teasing" that goes on.

@ any AA who has actually visited an African nation on this site how they were treated.

And lets be real, you have no plans on going to Africa and you yourself literally said Africans need to build something for you opposed to you actually wanting to go do real business.

You sound like the "b*stard baby makers" Jason Black clowns, looking for handouts.
:mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Lol breh Africa is not worried about coli postwr Raymond burrr. Black America is not even worried coli poster Raymond burr. If you were serious about building you would already be in the places you make threads about.

You're just saying things just say them at this point. If you're not gonna make an argument - get out of my mentions

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
lol there never was kumbaya. The AAs who visit any African nation are welcomed with open arms, African Immigrants cant say the same from the looks of the "light hearted teasing" that goes on.

@ any AA who has actually visited an African nation on this site how they were treated.

And lets be real, you have no plans on going to Africa and you yourself literally said Africans need to build something for you opposed to you actually wanting to go do real business.

You sound like the "b*stard baby makers" Jason Black clowns, looking for handouts.
:mjlol:

Somebody should mention that citizenship guarantee are notoriously slow and can take years for AAs/Carribeans, if not a decade. Just ask Rita Marley who took 2 decades to become a citizen in Ghana.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
There is some truth to it but its overrated. I know a lot of Africans here in NYC living 4-5 to a 2 bedroom apt that are just barely getting by.

the self selection process also encompasses people with drive/ambition...so yes, they could first here barely getting by but because they were already highly driven, they could get by all of that. For example take indians/indian americans

Indian Americans: The New Model Minority

Most Americans know only one thing about Indians–they are really good at spelling bees. When Sameer Mishra correctly spelled guerdon last May to win the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, he became the sixth Indian-American winner in the past 10 years. Finishing second was Sidharth Chand. Kavya Shivashankar took fourth place, and Janhnavi Iyer grabbed the eighth spot. And this was not even the banner year for Indian Americans–in 2005, the top four finishers were all of Indian descent.

It’s tempting to dismiss Indian-American dominance of the spelling bee as just a cultural idiosyncrasy. But Indian success in more important fields is just as eye-catching. Despite constituting less than 1% of the U.S. population, Indian-Americans are 3% of the nation’s engineers, 7% of its IT workers and 8% of its physicians and surgeons. The overrepresentation of Indians in these fields is striking–in practical terms, your doctor is nine times more likely to be an Indian-American than is a random passerby on the street.

Indian Americans are in fact a new “model minority.” This term dates back to the 1960s, when East Asians–Americans of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent–were noted for their advanced educations and high earnings.

East Asians continue to excel in the U.S, but among minority groups, Indians are clearly the latest and greatest “model.” In 2007, the median income of households headed by an Indian American was approximately $83,000, compared with $61,000 for East Asians and $55,000 for whites.

About 69% of Indian Americans age 25 and over have four-year college degrees, which dwarfs the rates of 51% and 30% achieved by East Asians and whites, respectively. Indian Americans are also less likely to be poor or in prison, compared with whites.

So why do Indian Americans perform so well? A natural answer is self-selection. Someone willing to pull up roots and move halfway around the world will tend to be more ambitious and hardworking than the average person. But people want to come to the U.S. for many reasons, some of which–being reunited with other family members, for example–have little to do with industriousness. Ultimately, immigration policy decides which kinds of qualities our immigrants possess.

Under our current immigration policy, a majority of legal immigrants to the U.S. obtain green cards (permanent residency) because they have family ties to U.S. citizens, but a small number (15% in 2007) are selected specifically for their labor market value. The proportion of Indian immigrants given an employment-related green card is one of the highest of any nationality. Consequently, it is mainly India’s educated elite and their families who come to the U.S.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/24/bo...pinions-contributors_immigrants_minority.html

Now compare that tiny minority in America to their homeland

Thirty-three percent of world’s poorest live in India

Thirty-three percent of world’s poorest live in India

One in three of world's poorest live in India

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...t-live-in-India/2013/04/19/article1552345.ece

Why the big gap? It's a matter of numbers and what types of emigrants (poorer types, more motivated and educated) is the country in question sending out and abroad.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Somebody should mention that citizenship guarantee can take years for AAs/Carribeans, if not a decade. Just ask Rita Marley who took 2 decades to become a citizen in Ghana.

You don't have to give up your citizenship to do business. These cats hate America but want to keep their citizenship, ok thats cool, still doesn't mean they can't do business. The real thing is they lack capital hence they wan't an African Nation to do something for them. Robert Johnson isn't a Liberian citizen, yet his is making money opening businesses in Liberia. Nothings stoping anyone from getting money in Africa, these dudes are just making excuses because they don't have money to actually invest and do business that benefits both sides. Instead of dudes saying "hey man I`m gonna get my money up so I can make moves overseas" they use the "man deez folks need to do something for me" excuse.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Making fun of slave ancestry :hula: calling someone a booty scratcher which has no real historical context

Whether yall like it or not, the power dynamics in the AA community will always favor AAs so this "AA do it too" stuff won't ever fly.

Breh, Ethiopians used to get it back in the days due to the famine in the 80's. Starvation jokes and the like.

Plus the term "African booty scratcher" does have a historical context :comeon:

Wild Africans, running around butt naked, scratching their asses in the bush, where have we heard that before? :comeon:

It's colonial cac depiction of Africans as primitive, which was popularized in the AA community by entertainers (Eddie Murphy's bit about Mfufu who was "naked in the bush" is one example).

This shyt goes deep :manny:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
If thats what you wan't to believe like I said more power to you. Success is subjective so there is nothing to debate. You have your view and I have mine.

Its NOT what I want to believe but facts. With the bolded you seem to be moving the goal post. With more blacks moving South and the South becoming more densely populated with Blacks a brain drain would be almost unrealistic especially considering the South already has among the most educated black institutions.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Breh, Ethiopians used to get it back in the days due to the famine in the 80's. Starvation jokes and the like.

Plus the term "African booty scratcher" does have a historical context :comeon:

Wild Africans, running around butt naked, scratching their asses in the bush, where have we heard that before? :comeon:

It's colonial cac depiction of Africans as primitive, which was popularized in the AA community by entertainers (Eddie Murphy's bit about Mfufu who was "naked in the bush" is one example).

This shyt goes deep :manny:

lol not even Africans, island cats like Haitians caught hell too.

IDK why cats act like Black immigrants get the red carpet rolled out for em. At the end of the day c00ning comes from every side, if there was some group that had no c00ns, that group wouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
South Africa is in a downward slope breh.

And i meant their the most serious and ambitious about education, almost to the point where school seen as a competition among families.
And Nigeria is not? Fact is South Africa has a greater chance to recover than Nigeria does. And as for the second sentence are you referring to Nigerians IN Nigeria or Nigerian immigrants?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Its NOT what I want to believe but facts. With the bolded you seem to be moving the goal post. With more blacks moving South and the South becoming more densely populated with Blacks a brain drain would be almost unrealistic especially considering the South already has among the most educated black institutions.

k
:mjlol::russ:

Be Successful yet Live in a System of White Supremacy brehs.

Lets just end the convo here because it's gonna go nowhere.