The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The point that she was trying to make was that immigrants don't have to deal with the legacy of slavery and systemic racism on the same level as AA's. She's basically saying that if it weren't for said legacy, AA's would be excelling on level with Nigerians or better. Do you disagree with this? :francis:

I disagree because those immigrants aren't average people of their homelands but a highly and heavily self-selected minority within their overall society. It's like comparing the avg afram who lives abroad to the full spectrum in the USA. The slavery/systemic racism works more against the avg than the higher skilled, blacks.

Nah, they even stated that AA immigrants in Africa tend to extremely successful, pointing out the fact that immigrants are indeed self-selected and move for the purpose of work/making money etc.

Some of them had issues with some AA's thinking that every immigrant from Africa is wealthy or highly educated. That Uchechi chick even stated that this was the fault of Africans (especially Nigerians) for presenting only the "good" side of their community and covering their flaws, which creates false impressions.

It wasn't all that controversial.:stopitslime:

that's what gets portrayed due to self-selection

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Deal with it. They are the powerhouse of Africa in almost every aspect(except maybe stability) in economics, movies, music, education, and have the most people living abroad of any African country. They are very much the face and future of this continent.

And i say this as a Ghanaian who has plenty of Nigerian friends(and my first gf was one)
Nigeria is nowhere near anything close to a powerhouse of Africa. Bragging about movies and music is feeble. As for education, Nigeria has the lowest literacy even lower than North Sudan.

I don't know where this idea of Nigeria being the Giant of Africa even came from. South Africa more than anyone still holds that title.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
The point that she was trying to make was that immigrants don't have to deal with the legacy of slavery and systemic racism on the same level as AA's. She's basically saying that if it weren't for said legacy, AA's would be excelling on level with Nigerians or better. Do you disagree with this? :francis:

There was some borderline c00ning going from some of them. Others highlighted the fact that they were ignorant of the history of AA's in this country when they came.

Nah, they even stated that AA immigrants in Africa tend to extremely successful, pointing out the fact that immigrants are indeed self-selected and move for the purpose of work/making money etc.

Some of them had issues with some AA's thinking that every immigrant from Africa is wealthy or highly educated. That Uchechi chick even stated that this was the fault of Africans (especially Nigerians) for presenting only the "good" side of their community and covering their flaws, which creates false impressions.

It wasn't all that controversial.:stopitslime:

This is sooo true. :russ:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
She's 100% right and this is why Africans are one of the highest earning groups in America and are successful academically when they come here. Africans aren't cursed with centuries of the mental burden of systematic racism and white supremacy like black Americans are. This is also one of the reasons why Africans stay out of Black American social issues.

she's wrong...it's self selection, nothing more.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Nigeria is nowhere near anything close to a powerhouse of Africa. Bragging about movies and music is feeble. As for education, Nigeria has the lowest literacy even lower than North Sudan.

I don't know where this idea of Nigeria being the Giant of Africa even came from. South Africa more than anyone still holds that title.

South Africa is in a downward slope breh.

And i meant their the most serious and ambitious about education, almost to the point where school seen as a competition among families.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
the barriers are becoming less and AAs are more curious about us(wearing Dashikis and bumping Wizkid and Mr. Eazi joints around my campus) than what I experienced back in HS

this is nothing new...afrocentric aframs been on that since the 1960's

Afrocentrism was strongest in the 60s and 70s.

I believe @IllmaticDelta has cited sources about AAs wearing dashikis during that time sort of instilling pride in continental Africans wearing the attire.

I wouldn't chalk this up to some bridge-gapping.

“It was incredible how my head was turned,” Kuti told the New York Times in 1987. “Everything fell into place. For the first time, I saw the essence of blackism. It’s crazy; in the States people think the black power movement drew inspiration from Africa. All these Americans come over here looking for awareness, they don’t realize they’re the ones who’ve got it over there. We were even ashamed to go around in national dress until we saw pictures of blacks wearing dashikis on 125th street.”

>Fela Kuti and traditional African religion