The "Gone Girl" Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
Another question

I can't remember the remember the exact words but obviously suicide was something she comteplated. Does the book get into the debate she had about doing this or not doing it? Why it wasn't something she had made up her mind about fully?
I didn't read the book, but my impression was that she was only willing to kill herself if there wasn't enough to get him charged. She left the murder weapon, but the body was so important that if things weren't going well, it was a backup plan to MAKE SURE he was convicted and got the death penalty.

I loved the movie. My only two problems with it were the corny flashback dialogue when they were falling in love, and how they handled Amy's return.

I was told by people that read the book that Nick has a moment where he realizes he won't ever really be happy with anyone but her, even as crazy as she is. And that there's something about her craziness that draws Nick to her. In the movie it was just her explaining that to Nick and him sorta just going along with it, like a husband would. I didn't see a real reason for him to stay. Especially given how dangerous and deranged she was. At that point she was a horror movie villain, like the female version of Anton Chigurh. The pregnancy thing was big, but he seemed all too ready to give in. I wish they would've given that last part a little more time. It seemed a bit rushed.

Best movie I've seen this year though.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
This movie brings "get married breh" to a whole new level. Look I enjoyed Ben Affleck (and I"m not a super fan). But he did a good job. Better then he did in Argo (I loved Argo, I just didn't like him for the role). In this film, he really convinced me to hate him. Same thing with his wife. She did a dope job despite me hating her as well. Tyler Perry held his own (yes, the world must be ending for me to say that.) Though I felt at times, Ben Affleck didn't really respect him.

Without giving the plot away, I could only suspend disbelief for too long. Then to me, it just became an over the top plot. Too many holes I could punch into. Bump it I gotta go into spoiler mode.

She originally planned for a suicide? Did she really think when they found her body that they would think it was murder? The Punch and Judy doll? I don't see how that would have worked against him. It's obvious she did that. Why not reveal that to the police to show he was set up? Wouldn't there have been evidence that he foresics evidnece he never touched her diary? That she was the one who put it there? I could go on but again, it's just too much stuff for me to suspend disbelief that she actually thought she could get away with the original plot.

The movie did a good job to show it's all about perception. And how the media potrays things. As we see with these NFL cases. But again, I found it hard to believe that no further investigation would be done. Particarly because he taped everything.

If people love this movie I would have no problem. But it's way too much stuff that didn't make sense to me. But it's some great performances in here. Wouldn't be surprised if his wife was nominated for Best Actress.

So.....yeah. Anyone else fairly disappointed in this one?

I enjoyed it, and I liked a lot of what Fincher did, and the performances were pretty great....

....but the plot man. :beli:

So the cops buy her story but no one seems to notice the lack of a headwound?

I liked the way it worked as a commentary on the way "crime TV" can distort facts and destroy a case, but the main story just sort of collapsed around itself.

6/10

One of my least favorite Fincher films.

Leaps of faith and plot holes everywhere in this film

Really gotta play :cape:trying to explain away her getting away with this shyt. Stop :cape:for Fincher, brehs

Got the FBI acting like Bob Odenkirk's character in Fargo :shaq2:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
Tyler-Perrys-Gone-Girl.jpg

:dead: at the fact that the credits haven't been changed

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
  • Just to be clear, Amy make up everything in her narrations, right? Did Nick really throw her against the stairs?

Well, yes and no. We know by both Amy's monologue and with Nick's own admission in the interrogation scene that the beginning parts were definitely true. However, we have NO CLUE as to what is true or false, because Nick HIMSELF is full of shyt. A lot of things that he was saying weren't the truth either. In spite of a lot of the lies, there was a lot of TRUTH within those lies. That's the reason the dairy itself would be inadmissible. We actually LEARNED later that Nick is INDEED capable to violence when he first learned she got pregnant and her pushed her to the wall with her hand on her throat, so he COULD be lying the police about that as well of other things. The whole reason she fell in love with him was the fact he was a bullshytter like herself, and the main reason she went back to him is because she saw him on the interview bullshytting his way in order to get public to side with him (which he actually claimed he was really trying to reach one person which was her). So REALLY we do not know WHAT is true and what isn't.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
Well, yes and no. We know by both Amy's monologue and with Nick's own admission in the interrogation scene that the beginning parts were definitely true. However, we have NO CLUE as to what is true or false, because Nick HIMSELF is full of shyt. A lot of things that he was saying weren't the truth either. In spite of a lot of the lies, there was a lot of TRUTH within those lies. That's the reason the dairy itself would be inadmissible. We actually LEARNED later that Nick is INDEED capable to violence when he first learned she got pregnant and her pushed her to the wall with her hand on her throat, so he COULD be lying the police about that as well of other things. The whole reason she fell in love with him was the fact he was a bullshytter like herself, and the main reason she went back to him is because she saw him on the interview bullshytting his way in order to get public to side with him (which he actually claimed he was really trying to reach one person which was her). So REALLY we do not know WHAT is true and what isn't.

:beli: so it's one of those movies, huh?

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw this last night, heres my thoughts: having read the book, my first impression was that because of the flashbacks, and the nature of how the story was told, there would be some fundamental difficulties in how the movie was crafted, and after seeing the movie, this is undeniably true. Flashbacks are hard to do in film, when it's not an entirely separate story (Godfather 2), there something lost in the transition, and this is no exception. The flashbacks didn't quite capture a compelling romance between the two, despite great performances from the two, it's a length problem. The book had the time to flesh out an involving romance and relationship between the two of them, the movie doesn't. The books creation of a real relationship made the entire thing more credibility, while this felt strained and artificial at times…..You never felt like Affleck and Amy were in love.

Also, their financial downfall was captured much more effectively in the book, as well as the parents influence and involvement in the entire process. Taken on it's own, it is an incredible presentation of tension, atmosphere, and cinematography, Fincher is just amazing. How he shot that lake house, that was modern and luxurious in all ways, as a post modern house of horror was so dope. His shots of the searchers at night in Carthage, and of course the score was as much a player as the leads, almost. Tyler Perry was near perfect, as was Margo, his twin, and Andie, the college girl, and Neil Patrick Harris expertly conveyed the passive aggressive, sexually frustrated, wealthy creep with unnerving efficiency. The two drifter lowlifes and all the scenes at the lodge were near Hitchcockian in their execution, I'd say Fincher is the closet to Hitchcock we will get. Every opened door, or chilly breeze, every breathe and every word is a ominous sign of foreboding.

The movie kind of loses something in the final act, though the scenes in the lake house (esp THE scene) are pretty much the embodiment of Fincher and his best efforts, that scene was so stomach churning, darkly funny, visually compelling…amazing direction and cinematography. The final scenes suffer from too many extended climaxes, and it feels like the too many epilogues, one after another. I think the movie does have some contemporary commentary on the media, some obvious and imo, needless bits about Nancy Grace, and the like….but I took away from the movie and book, commentary about relationships and human nature, manipulation, love and companionship. I walked out of the theater thinking how spineless Affleck turned out to be in the end, and how his surrender is kind of similar to the way men 'surrender' in relationships and marriage, and how I would never be in something like that, also how I wouldn't be the partner Affleck turned into, uncommunicative, shutdown, regressive…and I wouldn't want my wife to be someone she's not, because thats how she thought I wanted her to be. Provokes thoughts about communication, romance, and the inner turmoil of men and women as we maneuver through marriage, sex, relationship, together.

Great, but flawed movie, it's stylish presentation was expertly done, but maybe felt a little detached at times.

My PERSONAL rule of thumb. NEVER ever associate the film with the book or novelization. ALL NOVELS are more fleshed out and detailed. I always go into a film disassociating myself with the book which gives a purer and enjoyable viewing. Trying to compare things with the book ALWAYS takes away entertainment value regardless of what book or film it maybe. Logically, it'll be impossible to make it exact due to time limits, editing, and pacing. So, it is better to enjoy it for face value and leave the book version out of it. Plus, movie versions will ALWAYS have different interpretations. This one, you have to pay attention to detail or just accept that Fincher wants the view to get however they want out of it, just like you do with any piece of art. But it is my rule NEVER to associate a film with the book, it never will be what it was in the novelization.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another question

I can't remember the remember the exact words but obviously suicide was something she comteplated. Does the book get into the debate she had about doing this or not doing it? Why it wasn't something she had made up her mind about fully?

In the film her intentions was to kill herself as the biggest "fucck-you" to Nick, but around the time where she realizes he'll get the death penalty ANYWAY even without finding the body she changed her mind from it. In the miniature golf scene, she flatly stated, "why does SHE have to suffer for what HE did"?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Leaps of faith and plot holes everywhere in this film

Really gotta play :cape:trying to explain away her getting away with this shyt. Stop :cape:for Fincher, brehs

Got the FBI acting like Bob Odenkirk's character in Fargo :shaq2:

That's not Fincher, that's the writer. And more so, the genre in itself. There are plenty of GREAT films with equally flimsy "evil plots" that don't hold up to scrutiny. Vertigo comes to mind.

That said, I think I was more turned off by the intensely cynical nature of the film

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where there's no clear answer and no clues to help figure it out. Like movies that use a MacGuffin but don't show what it is.

Ahh... I see. That's like the whole point with Desi in general.