"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
And I give credit to Ivan Allen and others for being more progressive than most white men in those same positions, but there were other dynamics at play that made them think like that. I don't think it was like they was trail blazing race warriors who wanted an all inclusive utopia, I think it was more of a perfect storm type scenario. Atlanta was never an antebellum, plantation aristocratic type city, that Gone With the Wind plantation shyt paints a picture that wasn't really true. This city was built on commerce from day one, mainly logistics and trade. People did own slaves here but they were tradesmen- builders, blacksmiths, cooks, horse drivers, etc. So you had a Black population that was mote equipped to deal with capitalism after the end of slavery than brehs in other cities and towns. Add into that to an influx of northerners (carpetbaggers), mainly Jews, who came into the city after it burned down to hustle. People like the Rich brothers, dudes who started Richs, they were racists too, but they would be more likely to hire a breh to work the counter than a wealthy shop owner in another southern city. Throw in Morehouse, Atlanta Univ, Clark College, Morris Brown and Spelman being built in the years after the civil war and all the sudden in 1900 Atlanta you have Black people who are used to being able to engage in the free market to a greater extent than brehs in other places, and you also have white people who are used to seeing it, whether they liked it or not. The riots in 1906 were an expression of the frustrations of the poorer Cacs who looked up and saw brehs lapping them already. Their hope was to stop the grind, and it probably would have in other cities (see Tulsa), but it backfired here, 1906 made places like Auburn, Hunter St, Pittsburgh, what they were. And those areas made Atlanta what it is today. That's why that whole transplants made Atlanta argument is some bullshyt. Brehs was getting money here in the 1800's. These johnny come lately nikkas is late, I know some of JW Dobbs kin, they rich AF and been that way for over a century.

Wasnt ivan allen the cat who built some barrier around cascade or one of those meighborhoods becauase whites didnt want to be next to blacks (the well to do blacks were now creating their own neighborhoods).

Ivan either was the one to build or destroy the barrier.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
And I give credit to Ivan Allen and others for being more progressive than most white men in those same positions, but there were other dynamics at play that made them think like that. I don't think it was like they was trail blazing race warriors who wanted an all inclusive utopia, I think it was more of a perfect storm type scenario. Atlanta was never an antebellum, plantation aristocratic type city, that Gone With the Wind plantation shyt paints a picture that wasn't really true. This city was built on commerce from day one, mainly logistics and trade. People did own slaves here but they were tradesmen- builders, blacksmiths, cooks, horse drivers, etc. So you had a Black population that was mote equipped to deal with capitalism after the end of slavery than brehs in other cities and towns. Add into that to an influx of northerners (carpetbaggers), mainly Jews, who came into the city after it burned down to hustle. People like the Rich brothers, dudes who started Richs, they were racists too, but they would be more likely to hire a breh to work the counter than a wealthy shop owner in another southern city. Throw in Morehouse, Atlanta Univ, Clark College, Morris Brown and Spelman being built in the years after the civil war and all the sudden in 1900 Atlanta you have Black people who are used to being able to engage in the free market to a greater extent than brehs in other places, and you also have white people who are used to seeing it, whether they liked it or not. The riots in 1906 were an expression of the frustrations of the poorer Cacs who looked up and saw brehs lapping them already. Their hope was to stop the grind, and it probably would have in other cities (see Tulsa), but it backfired here, 1906 made places like Auburn, Hunter St, Pittsburgh, what they were. And those areas made Atlanta what it is today. That's why that whole transplants made Atlanta argument is some bullshyt. Brehs was getting money here in the 1800's. These johnny come lately nikkas is late, I know some of JW Dobbs kin, they rich AF and been that way for over a century.

Big breh here spitting knowledge..props.
When you sit & think about it, that AUC/Washington HS area is historic as hell and has been the center of black culture in the city since the early 1900s. I’d love to meet some of the families who have been there for a while. Do you know about any books written about that area?

Cacs trying to slowly take over Pittsburgh. I always see a few jogging down Metropolitan. They won’t dare go in the Green Store or near those Apartments where Metropolitan and University meet.

Wasnt ivan allen the cat who built some barrier around cascade or one of those meighborhoods becauase whites didnt want to be next to blacks (the well to do blacks were now creating their own neighborhoods).

He built it to for the whites. It was on Peyton Rd in the Peyton Forest neighborhood. The show I was watching said that was the one thing he fukked up with during his time as mayor.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA

Don't even know breh. Wouldn't be surprised either way actually. Dude seemed like he wore a few different faces. The book talks about some :mjpls: he did along with the good stuff too.

I've heard about Cascade wall, that bytch started a decent way North of Cascade too. Like the north part was around Peyton and Harlan Rd. That's like .5 mile from MLK, shyt is crazy if you think about it. Cacs was on 10 in Grove Park too, firebombed a few houses when brehs started moving in. And of course eveybody knows what happened in Kirkwood to Hosea Williams. We got the same racist white people here everybody else got, but money and power keeps that bullshyt in check.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

:dead:

Any of y’all brehs ever been to LaCura on Metropolitan?

Pass by it everyday but never think to go there on the weekends

cjlaw93

(Black) American
Daps

Dude went it. Brings up a great point what's the point of having black leadership in Atlanta if they don't even protect black people.

And brehs on here wonder why I say Atlanta is racist towards Blacks..it’s because of all these things and more happening under a Black mayor and a majority Black population

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
And brehs on here wonder why I say Atlanta is racist towards Blacks..it’s because of all these things and more happening under a Black mayor and a majority Black population

All these black educators, doctors, engineers, scientists and blue collar folks in Atlanta, but the leadership constantly bends over for cacs.

Do any of you brehs know how to get into real estate development?

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
:francis: sad but true. It's to the point where most of the successful blacks have migrated to the outskirts of Atlanta proper to places like Cascade and now Stonecrest/Lithonia. I joked about how whitewashed Brooklyn had become over the years, but Atlanta is trending in that direction.

DeeezNuts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan, NY
Whats a good spot for a breh looking to buy a house?..I'm not trying be in the boonies:stopitslime:my budget will be 300k...some new isssh...3 bedrooms... I'm in Brooklyn now and want something similar as far as lifestyle.... definitely dont want to be in a gay :scust: neighborhood though

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Whats a good spot for a breh looking to buy a house?..I'm not trying be in the boonies:stopitslime:my budget will be 300k...some new isssh...3 bedrooms... I'm in Brooklyn now and want something similar as far as lifestyle.... definitely dont want to be in a gay :scust: neighborhood though

:snoop:
Luckily with that 300k budget you can’t afford to be in a “gay neighborhood”.

jganer

Rookie
Daps

:dead:

Any of y’all brehs ever been to LaCura on Metropolitan?

Pass by it everyday but never think to go there on the weekends

I live down the street and only been a handful of times and it's real rachet from what I remember.