"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Because you disagree or because a million ninjas made that obvious joke already? :russ:
ATL is one of the Blackest cities with nightlife, great food spots, gorgeous Black women from all over the country and you literally took the time to pop up out of nowhere and mention gay shyt. Think about that for a second.

You lost.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
ATL is one of the Blackest cities with nightlife, great food spots, gorgeous Black women from all over the country and you literally took the time to pop up out of nowhere and mention gay shyt. Think about that for a second.

You lost.

We got neighborhoods full of black millionaires & subdivisions with 700k homes with nothing but blacks but nikkas wanna mention gay shyt.

Daps
:camby: Excuse yourself from this thread
Just saw this

You lost.
I was joking. A joke is an exaggeration of the truth. The truth is that there's an abundance of homosexuals and other lgbtq+++folks there. The exaggeration is that instead of Greatest it's the Gayest black city because of that abundance.
truestory_718
Don't blame me
I stand by my joke like you stand by atl

Daps
We got neighborhoods full of black millionaires & subdivisions with 700k homes with nothing but blacks but nikkas wanna mention gay shyt.
Respect man. Respect. But learn to laugh at yourself a lil bit. I'm from Houston. Lots to be proud of but I don't throw a fit when people talk about stuff that happens here that's odd.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Before the other day I only knew of Donald L Hollowell from the street (formerly known as Bankhead Highway). But damn, I slept on his impact and how great of a person he was.

I was listening to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast and he did two great episodes on Hollowell and Vernon Jordan and their great work as lawyers in our racist state and city in the 1950s-70s.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Watching this documentary on GPB about Ivan Allen..he ran for mayor in the 60s and ran on a platform for racial justice while the other candidate wanted Atlanta to be like the rest of the south with the desegregation & shyt.

Some cacs hate Atlanta because of what it represents now and what it stood for back then. The city leadership knew it couldn’t become a world class city with the racial things that other cities had in the south.

Had no idea who Ivan Allen was but I drive on the street named after him everyday :ohhh:

Check out "Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn". Dope ass book with some good bits of ATL history and it also tells the story of Ivan Allen's family, along with JW Dobbs. Check it ou breh, trust you won't be disappointed.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Watching this documentary on GPB about Ivan Allen..he ran for mayor in the 60s and ran on a platform for racial justice while the other candidate wanted Atlanta to be like the rest of the south with the desegregation & shyt.

Some cacs hate Atlanta because of what it represents now and what it stood for back then. The city leadership knew it couldn’t become a world class city with the racial things that other cities had in the south.

Had no idea who Ivan Allen was but I drive on the street named after him everyday :ohhh:

And I give credit to Ivan Allen and others for being more progressive than most white men in those same positions, but there were other dynamics at play that made them think like that. I don't think it was like they was trail blazing race warriors who wanted an all inclusive utopia, I think it was more of a perfect storm type scenario. Atlanta was never an antebellum, plantation aristocratic type city, that Gone With the Wind plantation shyt paints a picture that wasn't really true. This city was built on commerce from day one, mainly logistics and trade. People did own slaves here but they were tradesmen- builders, blacksmiths, cooks, horse drivers, etc. So you had a Black population that was mote equipped to deal with capitalism after the end of slavery than brehs in other cities and towns. Add into that to an influx of northerners (carpetbaggers), mainly Jews, who came into the city after it burned down to hustle. People like the Rich brothers, dudes who started Richs, they were racists too, but they would be more likely to hire a breh to work the counter than a wealthy shop owner in another southern city. Throw in Morehouse, Atlanta Univ, Clark College, Morris Brown and Spelman being built in the years after the civil war and all the sudden in 1900 Atlanta you have Black people who are used to being able to engage in the free market to a greater extent than brehs in other places, and you also have white people who are used to seeing it, whether they liked it or not. The riots in 1906 were an expression of the frustrations of the poorer Cacs who looked up and saw brehs lapping them already. Their hope was to stop the grind, and it probably would have in other cities (see Tulsa), but it backfired here, 1906 made places like Auburn, Hunter St, Pittsburgh, what they were. And those areas made Atlanta what it is today. That's why that whole transplants made Atlanta argument is some bullshyt. Brehs was getting money here in the 1800's. These johnny come lately nikkas is late, I know some of JW Dobbs kin, they rich AF and been that way for over a century.

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Check out "Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn". Dope ass book with some good bits of ATL history and it also tells the story of Ivan Allen's family, along with JW Dobbs. Check it ou breh, trust you won't be disappointed.

Building Atlanta is a great book as well. It gives you insight into the civil rights movement from a black owned business perspective