"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Its a double edge sword. God send for people who want their kids in "good schools" but sucks for kids who really need help as some charter schools act like they dont have time for them.

I also dont like how that one school the Ron clark academy pretty much just parades the children around like dancing primitive humans who cant comperehend anything unless you speak jive talk to them.
the funding of them is so nefarious

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I mean I hear what you're saying but that's still an assumption based mostly off your personal interactions. Again it comes back to quality of life: crime, traffic, school systems, shyt even grocery stores. These white folks damn sure ain't sending their kids to APS anytime soon, which is another deterrent from a mass wave of white people moving back into the city. You see white people in the City in pockets, but not wide spread. That's part of why I'm not as concerned about the demographics element of gentrification...because there are still fundamental challenges that prevent white people from whole heartedly moving into Atlanta

APS schools have actually improved. Grady and Langston hughes are the schools white people are sending all of their kids.

And from a CoL standpoint I dont think its an issue because these white people have cars. CoL is an issue for those who have to depend on public transportation. From ENglish ave/Vine city/ AUC/ etc you are less than 3 miles from everything there is to do in town. The issue is if you didnt have a car then it makes it harder to get to things which is the issue people in poverty face.

White people call it "urban pioneering" when they are the first to move to hoods. It cant be denied that there is a larger influx of whites in many neighborhoods that 10-15 yrs ago there were literally no whites. Thats not saying in 5 yrs da bluff will be white but like i said you cant deny whats going on with the demographic shifts.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Interesting convo about Cascade, good history for a guy like me who ain't from here. I be on Cascade weekly, almost. Right over in that Danforth Rd area....

And then with APS your kid can go to any school as long as you have transportation so the neighborhood schools are a non factor when you can send your kid to one of the good schools like Grady or a charter school. I see sooooo many KIPP stickers on cars on the westside.

...that seems to be creating somewhat of a ripple effect, cause now it's mad kids from Fulton and DeKalb tryinta get into schools like Grayson because of their sports programs. And all the construction led to rented houses, not sold ones...so pockets of Gwinnett are getting wild as hell.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Interesting convo about Cascade, good history for a guy like me who ain't from here. I be on Cascade weekly, almost. Right over in that Danforth Rd area....

...that seems to be creating somewhat of a ripple effect, cause now it's mad kids from Fulton and DeKalb tryinta get into schools like Grayson because of their sports programs. And all the construction led to rented houses, not sold ones...so pockets of Gwinnett are getting wild as hell.

G co and oricate schools in gen stayed stealing players from dekalb and APS. Caleb King went to columbia with me and they recruited him to come to parkview

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Question for the brehs...

Between Gwinnett and Fulton, what would you say is the most "centralized" public park?

In other words....if two people lived in those two separate counties, where could they meet that would be considered "the halfway point" between those two counties and, particularly, at a public park?

Tryinta set up this outreach program, but need a central location between these two counties.

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
APS schools have actually improved. Grady and Langston hughes are the schools white people are sending all of their kids.

And from a CoL standpoint I dont think its an issue because these white people have cars. CoL is an issue for those who have to depend on public transportation. From ENglish ave/Vine city/ AUC/ etc you are less than 3 miles from everything there is to do in town. The issue is if you didnt have a car then it makes it harder to get to things which is the issue people in poverty face.

White people call it "urban pioneering" when they are the first to move to hoods. It cant be denied that there is a larger influx of whites in many neighborhoods that 10-15 yrs ago there were literally no whites. Thats not saying in 5 yrs da bluff will be white but like i said you cant deny whats going on with the demographic shifts.

I'm not denying that it is happening. I'm just not convinced that it's gonna happen to the degree that many fear that Atlanta won't be a majority black city anymore like within a generation or so. Again I think within certain pockets of the city you see it, but I think there are still barriers to preventing a complete demographic shift within 10-15 years

On the flip side of this argument I posed a question a few pages back about why y'all think young, black people are not buying homes in Atlanta (I say this anecdotally because I don't have any scientific data to back that assertion up and I see several of y'all making that argument). Is it because young, upwardly mobile black people are looking to purchase in parts of town that were denied to our parents & grandparents? Is it discriminatory housing practices? Is it just personal preference?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm not denying that it is happening. I'm just not convinced that it's gonna happen to the degree that many fear that Atlanta won't be a majority black city anymore like within a generation or so. Again I think within certain pockets of the city you see it, but I think there are still barriers to preventing a complete demographic shift within 10-15 years

On the flip side of this argument I posed a question a few pages back about why y'all think young, black people are not buying homes in Atlanta (I say this anecdotally because I don't have any scientific data to back that assertion up and I see several of y'all making that argument). Is it because young, upwardly mobile black people are looking to purchase in parts of town that were denied to our parents & grandparents? Is it discriminatory housing practices? Is it just personal preference?
Well I definitely don't think that purchasing in areas previously denied is in play.

Part of it is that a lot of those areas are single family homes which young black people just don't seem to be getting married a lot. If they are I think the negative thought of moving to those areas prevent it from being and option.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Young Black People arent buying homes in town because they want to live in the "Hot Neighborhoods" and these are neighborhoods they can't afford nor are not plugged into to know about when homes go on sale.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Young Black People arent buying homes in town because they want to live in the "Hot Neighborhoods" and these are neighborhoods they can't afford nor are not plugged into to know about when homes go on sale.

How do you define "hot neighborhood"? I see people saying Vinings/Smyrna is the hottest part of town, but couldn't I make the argument that English Ave/Vine City is really the hottest part of town ITP? And probably more affordable right now?

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Well I definitely don't think that purchasing in areas previously denied is in play.

Part of it is that a lot of those areas are single family homes which young black people just don't seem to be getting married a lot. If they are I think the negative thought of moving to those areas prevent it from being and option.

What areas are you taking about specifically?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How do you define "hot neighborhood"? I see people saying Vinings/Smyrna is the hottest part of town, but couldn't I make the argument that English Ave/Vine City is really the hottest part of town ITP? And probably more affordable right now?

I`m not calling English Ave/Vine City hence the reason why the avg Black person under 40 doesnt have it on their radar.

Hot Intown areas are ViHi, O4W, East Atlanta, Glenwood Park, etc.