"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
There are alot of homeowners there so west end wont be lilly white persay but it will continue to become more "mixed"

@JamilALAmin made a great point about how despite the gentrification "trend" emerging in Atlanta, these historically black locations like the West End and Cascade aren't gonna turn as quickly if ever because they are still challenged by crime (despite the fact that violent crime has dropped dramatically in the COA for the last several years

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Alot of older generation home owners.

The racial makeup in the area is about to change dramatically over the next few years.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a bunch of white people casually strolling though West Mall in the three to five years.

Only red flag will be when they shut down west end to make it a mixed use development, but to be honest the area could use it.

If they out a movie theater, gym, grocery store, and mixed retail/office space in place of west end mall i wouldnt trip

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@JamilALAmin made a great point about how despite the gentrification "trend" emerging in Atlanta, these historically black locations like the West End and Cascade aren't gonna turn as quickly if ever because they are still challenged by crime (despite the fact that violent crime has dropped dramatically in the COA for the last several years

Young white people (that arent wealthy) dont mind living in crime areas because they cant afford the high dollar neighborhoods. Its by the time they are older and have a school age child that the neighborhood has pretty much been gentrified.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Young white people (that arent wealthy) dont mind living in crime areas because they cant afford the high dollar neighborhoods. Its by the time they are older and have a school age child that the neighborhood has pretty much been gentrified.

I think it's an interesting point either way. I think young, white people will not move in to a community in bulk if there are concerns about quality of life there. I don't think that it can be assumed that they "don't mind" potentially getting robbed because they can't afford a home in a wealthier neighborhood. I think that's a dangerous assumption to make

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Its a ton of young white folks that live in english ave, and I remember being at this street food festival a few yrs ago and me and my girl overheard this white dude telling his friends "yeah man i just got a place in dixie hills, its so affordable".

:mjlol:

When i was looking for homes i was at a house in washington park and this white girl who lived next door came up to me and my agent like "hey! You looking to move into the neighborhood? Youre gonna love it"

Lol ATL is NOT NYC, these young white hipsters work jobs that dont pay squat but being "rough" is oart of their whole hipster look.

These folks will buy homes that are almost bando status that probaby cant even oass a home inspection and live like hobos and fix the home bit by bit and next thing you know the house they bougt in the hood for 30k is now worth 120k, the. 10 yrs later its worth 350 and so on.

Thats how gentrifiaction works.

And then with APS your kid can go to any school as long as you have transportation so the neighborhood schools are a non factor when you can send your kid to one of the good schools like Grady or a charter school. I see sooooo many KIPP stickers on cars on the westside.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think it's an interesting point either way. I think young, white people will not move in to a community in bulk if there are concerns about quality of life there. I don't think that it can be assumed that they "don't mind" potentially getting robbed because they can't afford a home in a wealthier neighborhood. I think that's a dangerous assumption to make

Lol breh black folks dont do nothing to white folks. White folks jogg all along Boone nowadays. The only time White folks get got is if they do something dumb like leave their iphone in their car seat or have a luxury car in the hood and nobody knows who they are.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Its a ton of young white folks that live in english ave, and I remember being at this street food festival a few yrs ago and me and my girl overheard this white dude telling his friends "yeah man i just got a place in dixie hills, its so affordable".

When i was looking for homes i was at a house in washington park and this white girl who lived next door came up to me and my agent like "hey! You looking to move into the neighborhood? Youre gonna love it"

Lol ATL is NOT NYC, these young white hipsters work jobs that dont pay squat but being "rough" is oart of their whole hipster look.

These folks will buy homes that are almost bando status that probaby cant even oass a home inspection and live like hobos and fix the home bit by bit and next thing you know the house they bougt in the hood for 30k is now worth 120k, the. 10 yrs later its worth 350 and so on.

And then with APS your kid can go to any school as long as you have transportation so the neighborhood schools are a non factor when you can send your kid to one of the good schools like Grady or a charter school. I see sooooo many KIPP stickers on cars on the westside.
Charter schools are a cancer IMO

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

That's what I'm saying these dudes act like the exact same thing didn't happen to Boulevard :mjlol:

These cacs are about to take over if black people aren't careful.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Developer: ‘gentrification’ necessary for Atlanta’s growth, education, arts scene
Developer: ‘gentrification’ necessary for Atlanta’s future growth, education, arts scene

CEO behind Ponce City Market shares surely controversial opinion about how the “bad word” can help boost cities
BY MICHAEL KAHN JUN 27, 2017, 10:18AM EDT TWEET

3._Flats_at_Ponce_City_Market_in_Atlanta.0.0.jpg

Ponce City Market—the epicenter of Atlanta’s gentrification?
Jamestown Properties
Gentrification is a nebulous word that gets a pretty bad rap. In many cases, justifiably so.

It’s defined by Merriam-Webster as “the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents.” And the concept has been heatedly discussed in Atlanta for many years as a persistent wave of new people has established roots in formerly downtrodden intown neighborhoods—a process that shows few signs of slowing.

Now, the developer behind one of Atlanta’s most popular and successful intown renewal projects is speaking out about the importance of gentrification, while acknowledging that it’s a touchy subject.

The Atlanta Jewish Times reports that Matt Bronfman, CEO of Jamestown—the developer of Ponce City Market—recently addressed a gathering of Atlantans, noting that gentrification leads to an improved tax base and facets of city life that everyone covets. His comments in full, per the newspaper:

“People throw out gentrification like it’s a bad word, and that is an oversimplification ... You want to have some degree of gentrification because you need to improve your tax base and support public services like arts, education, and parks. So some degree of gentrification is absolutely necessary if you are going to be part of a successful city.”

Reynoldstown%202007.JPG

Gentrification in action on Moreland Avenue in Reynoldstown.
Google Maps
Moreland_Avenue_Gentrification.JPG

The same area, a couple of years later.
Google Maps
Obviously, all of those things (education, arts, etc.) are pretty great—and important for Atlanta’s future.

But displacement of longtime residents is a concern, as affordable housing disappears. Bronfman acknowledged the negative impact of rising prices and suggested that affordability and diversity are also vital pieces of Atlanta’s future.

He pointed to the allocation of 20 percent of Ponce City Market’s residential units as “affordable housing,” and encouraged other developments along the Beltline to follow suit.

Bronfman’s assessment of gentrification may differ that of other Atlantans who’ve spoken out against displacement in recent years, but is there a happy medium?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Charter schools are a cancer IMO

Its a double edge sword. God send for people who want their kids in "good schools" but sucks for kids who really need help as some charter schools act like they dont have time for them.

I also dont like how that one school the Ron clark academy pretty much just parades the children around like dancing primitive humans who cant comperehend anything unless you speak jive talk to them.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That's what I'm saying these dudes act like the exact same thing didn't happen to Boulevard :mjlol:

These cacs are about to take over if black people aren't careful.
Breh I intered at City hall east my senior yr going to college and ponce would be Junkie central. I come back to ATL after college and now its ponce city market :russ::mjlol:

We all knew ponce was coming but didnt know it would be what it was.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Lol breh black folks dont do nothing to white folks. White folks jogg all along Boone nowadays. The only time White folks get got is if they do something dumb like leave their iphone in their car seat or have a luxury car in the hood and nobody knows who they are.

I mean I hear what you're saying but that's still an assumption based mostly off your personal interactions. Again it comes back to quality of life: crime, traffic, school systems, shyt even grocery stores. These white folks damn sure ain't sending their kids to APS anytime soon, which is another deterrent from a mass wave of white people moving back into the city. You see white people in the City in pockets, but not wide spread. That's part of why I'm not as concerned about the demographics element of gentrification...because there are still fundamental challenges that prevent white people from whole heartedly moving into Atlanta