The Fighting Game Scene No Longer Needs 'Street Fighter' to Thrive

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man its so easy to spread mis information now.

The only reason dragon ball had so many viewers is

1) is was on at prime time.
2) It ran like an 1 hour longer than it was suppose to
3) Lots of people tuned in at 9:30 expecting streetfighter only to have to wait to 10:30 and had work the next day.

Street fighter ended at like 1 am if not later, I fell asleep.

If streetfighter dies the FGC dies its really that simple. The only other game that would come close to keeping it alive would be tekken.

I'd def tap out, the anime crowd is way to nerdy

The street fighter crowd and marvel crowd is :wrist: enough as it is now.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
so if street fighter is no longer THE game, what is?
SF is the Lakers of the fighting game community. Its good for the league when they're great and fun to laugh at when they suck - but you can't imagine a world without them.

I don't think the FGC 'crumbles' if SF dies off. But until something bigger than DBZ drops (which ain't even asking for a lot) its gonna have its tenured position.

It wouldn't take much to body Capcom though. Blizzard/Activision proved they know how to bring in studios and plant a flag in a genre they've never been a part of before and understand crossovers with mass appeal or at the very least easily packaged. If someone wants Capcom and SF's spot, it would only take a real effort. For the past few years people have only made "other" fighting games. There hasn't been an attempt at a true SF killer in decades.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
SF is the Lakers of the fighting game community. Its good for the league when they're great and fun to laugh at when they suck - but you can't imagine a world without them.

I don't think the FGC 'crumbles' if SF dies off. But until something bigger than DBZ drops (which ain't even asking for a lot) its gonna have its tenured position.

It wouldn't take much to body Capcom though. Blizzard/Activision proved they know how to bring in studios and plant a flag in a genre they've never been a part of before and understand crossovers with mass appeal or at the very least easily packaged. If someone wants Capcom and SF's spot, it would only take a real effort. For the past few years people have only made "other" fighting games. There hasn't been an attempt at a true SF killer in decades.

If NRS took balance, meta and their engine seriously they would have already killed SF this gen but they decided shyt like deadshot was okay for balance

parallax

Superstar
Daps

blizzard would take what works and add their spin to it like they did overwatch. which isnt a bad thing if they tone the "balancing and retooling" down

If NRS took balance, meta and their engine seriously they would have already killed SF this gen but they decided shyt like deadshot was okay for balance

i really want to like netherrealm games, but they all play like ass to me. as ugly as infinite is, it plays so much better

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yeah

I mean, they could've went the extra mile and built a complete fighter meant to last more than 2-3 years but their priority is to move units and push microtransactions. I'm not knocking them for it but they just ain't care.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
blizzard would take what works and add their spin to it like they did overwatch. which isnt a bad thing if they tone the "balancing and retooling" down

i really want to like netherrealm games, but they all play like ass to me. as ugly as infinite is, it plays so much better
A tag fighter with blizzard characters would shut shyt down :wow: they lowkey teased it in overwatch hanamura map.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
" When SFV rolled around, that number had dropped to 215,000—just 20,000 more than Smash Bros Melee and 30,000 more than Tekken 7. It’s clear that Street Fighter is no longer the must-see game at EVO. That’s not a problem for EVO, but it’s a big problem for Capcom, whose games have always enjoyed a special kind of omnipresence at the event. "

This part of the article is dumb af seeing as Street Fighter V's top 8 ran from Midnight to 3am EST. People have work the next day lol.
Yeah SFV had scheduling issues, but their peak was also due to Ninja hosting them

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nonsensical, reactionary garbage. Yes, Street Fighter V isn't as popular as past iterations, but it is the king of fighters; there is no fighting game community without it.

Last edited:

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I don’t seeany game dethroning SF V despite the problems I have with the game. Tekken will have some new life with season 2 dropping next month though

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Capcom making Street fighter V Sony exclusive led to it becoming irrelevant.

All those idiots celebrating when Capcom made it exclusive didn't even buy it.
Yeah this actually hurt it way more than it helped imo. Granted there might not have been a sf5 without sony getting involved.

But the streetfighter scene gets a lot of its life blood from poverty players. And alot of the xbox player base is those that get it dirty cheap and get "A game" and play it non stop.

Plus is was just a whole scene cut out, thank goodness it at least came to pc, otherwise I do think sf5 would have died completely on ps4 only.