The Fall of the House of Usher (Mike Flanagan Piff)

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
SPOILER ALERT:

I finished the show over the weekend. Overall, I liked, the build-up and character development were really good, but, I feel like the end could be a little bit better.
Like, who was the lady? They had a lot of money, could find her pics with many famous people, spanning more than a century, but couldn't find anyone that went through the same(or knows someone) and could at least give them some tips on how to negotiate the deal?

Not saying they had to survive in the end, but at least try more than they did in the series....
The point is you can't out deal her or wiggle away. She's a supernatural force/element, part mysterious and unexplainable like the devil or death itself. She just is.

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
This was
About the redhead chick I am lost on how exactly is she getting sexual gratification from watching routine day shyt
I think it’s emotional connection/emotional reaction that gets her off. Outside of her work she doesn’t have any emotional attachments to anything. Its wasn’t always routine. She told him to beat one of them up.

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
SPOILER ALERT:

I finished the show over the weekend. Overall, I liked, the build-up and character development were really good, but, I feel like the end could be a little bit better.
Like, who was the lady? They had a lot of money, could find her pics with many famous people, spanning more than a century, but couldn't find anyone that went through the same(or knows someone) and could at least give them some tips on how to negotiate the deal?

Not saying they had to survive in the end, but at least try more than they did in the series....
I took it as she represents death, an all knowing entity. The last conversation she had with the main character she told him he was in her top 5 because of how many people opioids killed. She also wasn’t inherently evil like the devil would be portrayed. She tried to warn people or let them know that she could’ve just taken them in their sleep but they forced her hand with their actions.

Daps
Reppin
Botz
The point is you can't out deal her or wiggle away. She's a supernatural force/element, part mysterious and unexplainable like the devil or death itself. She just is.

I took it as she represents death, an all knowing entity. The last conversation she had with the main character she told him he was in her top 5 because of how many people opioids killed. She also wasn’t inherently evil like the devil would be portrayed. She tried to warn people or let them know that she could’ve just taken them in their sleep but they forced her hand with their actions.

Okay, I see both points. Now, I am here wondering, were the twin brothers b*stard kids of the old rich man(and their neighbor) who showed up in the beginning? And did their mom and the old man also make some type of deal? Because she was acting all paranoid, died, and then "came back" from the dead just to take the old man with her...

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Okay, I see both points. Now, I am here wondering, were the twin brothers b*stard kids of the old rich man(and their neighbor) who showed up in the beginning? And did their mom and the old man also make some type of deal? Because she was acting all paranoid, died, and then "came back" from the dead just to take the old man with her...
Yeah it's implied they are but I think the dude that replaced the old man as ceo says it to them at one point as well that he knows they're the dude's b*stards.
And yeah you can say no to her and that'll be that. The old lawyer does that later. A theme of the show seems to be avoiding or delaying consequences, how money can do it but also here this entity does too...but the price always comes up eventually. All the "good" characters seem to be willing to bare the weight of their actions, no matter what they be. Lawyer guy isn't necessarily a good guy but hes willing to go out on his terms, whatever that looks like and not someone elses which is why he says no to her.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She also wasn’t inherently evil like the devil would be portrayed.
I think she is a devil but not the devil like Satan/Lucifer she is more like a female version of Mephistopheles
Faust is unsatisfied with his life as a scholar and becomes depressed. After an attempt to take his own life, he calls on the Devil for further knowledge and magic powers with which to indulge all the pleasure and knowledge of the world. In response, the Devil's representative, Mephistopheles, appears. He makes a bargain with Faust: Mephistopheles will serve Faust with his magic powers for a set number of years, but at the end of the term, the Devil will claim Faust's soul, and Faust will be eternally enslaved.

During the term of the bargain, Faust makes use of Mephistopheles in various ways. In Goethe's drama, and many subsequent versions of the story, Mephistopheles helps Faust seduce a beautiful and innocent young woman, usually named Gretchen, whose life is ultimately destroyed when she gives birth to Faust's illegitimate son. Realizing this unholy act, she drowns the child and is held for murder. However, Gretchen's innocence saves her in the end, and she enters Heaven after execution. In Goethe's rendition, Faust is saved by God via his constant striving—in combination with Gretchen's pleadings with God in the form of the eternal feminine. However, in the early tales, Faust is irrevocably corrupted and believes his sins cannot be forgiven; when the term ends, the Devil carries him off to Hell.
Although Mephistopheles appears to Faustus as a demon – a worker for Lucifer – critics claim that he does not search for men to corrupt, but comes to serve and ultimately collect the souls of those who are already damned. Farnham explains, "Nor does Mephistophiles first appear to Faustus as a devil who walks up and down on earth to tempt and corrupt any man encountered. He appears because he senses in Faustus' magical summons that Faustus is already corrupt, that indeed he is already 'in danger to be damned'."

Mephistopheles is already trapped in his own Hell by serving the Devil. He warns Faustus of the choice he is making by "selling his soul" to the devil: "Mephistophilis, an agent of Lucifer, appears and at first advises Faust not to forego the promise of heaven to pursue his goals".Farnham adds to his theory, "...[Faustus] enters an ever-present private hell like that of Mephistophiles".

Last edited:

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I think she is a devil but not the devil like Satan/Lucifer she is more like a female version of Mephistopheles
That makes a lot of sense. I thought she was the devil until the scene where they show how the deal was made and I think the brother or the sister asks if she wants their soul in exchange for what she’s offering them and she says something along the lines of those don’t exist or idc care about those. She just wants to see what they’re going to do with the options she presented them with.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm 3 episodes in (plus some of the fourth episode but I had to cut it off to go out), and this is my favorite work from Flanagan since Hill House. I'm a HUGE fan of Edgar Allen Poe, and this ish is a really smart homage not just to The Fall of the House of Usher; but other works from Poe. So lemme just give yall a couple of references for the first two deaths of the series...Spoilers for the first three episodes:

Episode 2:
This one is based on my favorite Edgar Allen Poe story, the Masque of the Red Death. In that story, a plague is taking out most of modern society. So the rich nobility all quarantine themselves in a building, with no way out or in for some ridiculous length of time. While everyone's dying outside, the rich folk are just partying up. One day, they throw a big costume party, and someone shows up in an all-red costume that looks like one of the sick people outside. No one recognizes the party goer, but since everything's sealed they party away...long story short, the secret party member was the plague embodied, which strolled the party and infected everyone. They all stay trapped in the building with the illness taking out everyone inside.

I don't think I have to relay how this connects with the episode, particularly the ending. Perry throws the big party, Carla Gugino is the Red Death, the sprinklers replace the plague (though there's an opioid allegory for the plague as well).

Episode 3: This one's a lot more obscure, based on one of Poe's mysteries that wound up inspiring characters like Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot
The Murders in Rue Morgue is a murder mystery in which the narrator is trying to figure out how a body came to be stuffed in a chimney. It seems physically impossible to hide a body there, and There's a lot of investigating and clues, but all you really need to know is the plot twist at the end of the story. The killer was someone's pet Orangutan, which explains all of the inhuman accomplishments...and the victim in the Chimney was a woman named Camille.

So circle around to the Netflix show and you have Camille investigating a mystery about what's happening at the hospital. She ends up face to face with an orangutan becoming both the detective and the victim in this version. It was kinda brilliant imo, particularly because I didn't think of the short story until the very end. I was so locked onto the horror that I forgot Poe's mystery works.

I'm pretty sure we'll get more of these. I've got the Tell-Tale Heart vibes from the oldest son and the cat; and I'm hoping we get Pit and the Pendulum vibes from someone...probably the snitch (if there even is a snitch; I half suspect the lawyer said that as a ploy and half suspect they were all snitching).

Anyway, this series has been fantastic so far. I think it's even better when you spot Poe's short stories in each episode.