The culture of Anti-Intellectualism needs to be talked about more

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anti intellectual would mean shutting out any type of alternative to what you believe in. Keeping an open mind to things to at least discuss would show every bit of intellectualism. There are some people who have that shut off mind, and some people that don't. Negged and what starred, OP.
Good night, everyone.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
They have Black/"Urban Think Tanks in DC

You can see what academic minded black people write.

I guess it's more palatable than the conspiracy crew, but not by much.

As a long term member of the Black "you speak so well" Professional class nobody cares, not in a real way.

"Yet our best trained, best educated, best equipped, best prepared troops refuse to fight. Matter of fact, it's safe to say that they would rather switch than fight"

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Its alwys been here, just now its louder than ever thanks to the internet.

I still remember a teacher back in the late 90's talking about AIDS not being a diseased but a pest from god to punish fakkits and thats why it will never be cured, hell some here probably believe that today.
Funny you mentioned that. I remember a teacher in Sex Ed. (middle school) saying girls can't get pregnant if she's on top because sperm doesn't travel up stream. :comeon:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Anti-intellectualism is some real bullshyt. It's like our culture's got some weird hang up about knowledge and education. We're all about celebrating ignorance, and it's holding us back big time. The lack of respect for critical thinking and education is making our country dumber.
And it goes beyond just not wanting knowledge. It's the ability to actually think and solve problems. As a manager half my job is literally answering the most basic questions and solving such simple problems.

I had an employee who was violently physically assaulted by a random crazy person. The MOD literally was going to have the person assaulted just fill out and incident report after work.

Seriously? :dead:

I had to call them to tell them to call the police, have someone take him for medical treatment and then send him home.

Did I really have to tell you that? You've been in the same position for 2 years and you don’t know to get someone who was assaulted medical treatment?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
They have Black/"Urban Think Tanks in DC

You can see what academic minded black people write.

I guess it's more palatable than the conspiracy crew, but not by much.

As a long term member of the Black "you speak so well" Professional class nobody cares, not in a real way.

"Yet our best trained, best educated, best equipped, best prepared troops refuse to fight. Matter of fact, it's safe to say that they would rather switch than fight"
I really appreciate the link cause I never heard of them. It is a little disappointing because I'm reading the website and it isn't saying shyt.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
all I got to say is I went to school with this one Black girl who got straight A's , and she got jumped by three hoodrats in school and they said she was an "embarrassment to Black people" for making honor roll

this was 8th or 9th grade

SOME Black people do think being smart isn't cool and this needs to be talked about more in our community because Black people are brilliant and we're holding ourselves back. We already have white supremacist Amerikkka holding us back, that's more than enough for us to deal with

it's like the infamous Chris Rock joke "niccas love to keep it real...REAL DUMB"

Chris wasn't talking about all Black people, or most Black people, just a fraction of us that's anti-intellectual

it's a real thing in our community unfortunately
200w.gif

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
So how will learning via video advance society exponentially in a way that books never could?

I think it already has
look at how you frame your question and move the goal posts "exponentially" :russ:
Books, while valuable, are increasingly antiquated in the digital age. Visual and interactive learning methods offer richer, more immersive experiences. For example, historical documentaries bring the past to life more vividly than text. Coding is grasped quicker through hands-on tutorials than dense manuals. In biology, VR headsets allow students to explore and interact with complex systems, making learning more engaging and intuitive. Books cannot replicate the immediacy and dynamism of these experiences. As technology advances, it enables more effective and experiential learning, rendering traditional books less relevant in education and skill acquisition.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anti-intellectualism is some real bullshyt. It's like our culture's got some weird hang up about knowledge and education. We're all about celebrating ignorance, and it's holding us back big time. The lack of respect for critical thinking and education is making our country dumber.

"Our" who?

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Because it sounds like the most generic made up bullshyt cacs say online, just so they can say that racist Chris rock joke you just gleefully told. You fukking stop fishing for daps:camby:

calm the fvck down I'm Black

and I didn't "gleefully" tell anything, I was making a point with the Chris Rock joke, get out your emotions...it's a true fvcking story c0ck sucker

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I remember when the brehs and brehettes from SOHH unknowingly motivated me to go beyond my associates degree through their ordinary thread conversations. There was pride in intellectualism back then, for real. Changed my life. Even if we don't talk about it, it's still there, and valuable.

You can sense the quiet pride in several posters. Yall don't even know me, but thank you.

Shout out to:
@Rawtid
@The ADD
@Prince Akeem
@2Quik4UHoes
@tremonthustler1
@dora_da_destroyer
Sorry for missing many more, because there are others I have respect for.

I also see the raw brilliance, creativity, and honesty of several in the next generation.
Best shout out I ever got. :to:

:salute: to you for leveling up

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Books, while valuable, are increasingly antiquated in the digital age. Visual and interactive learning methods offer richer, more immersive experiences. For example, historical documentaries bring the past to life more vividly than text. Coding is grasped quicker through hands-on tutorials than dense manuals. In biology, VR headsets allow students to explore and interact with complex systems, making learning more engaging and intuitive. Books cannot replicate the immediacy and dynamism of these experiences. As technology advances, it enables more effective and experiential learning, rendering traditional books less relevant in education and skill acquisition.

This looks like some stock copy written by the salesman for an online learning program. :pachaha:

Of course there can be some positives for interactive learning, but I don't think it's a universal win like you're making it out to be. Keeping things short, I'd say:

1. The act of reading and interpreting text helps your brain work and grow. This builds it in a way you may never get from passively watching video.

2. You can intake text faster from reading than you can from spoken words.

3. It is usually easier to cross-reference difference pages on a book simultaneously than it is to look at two different parts of a video or tutorial simultaneously.

4. The vast majority of "interactive learning experiences" are taking their material straight from books. Without the books, they wouldn't even have access to that information in the first place. There remains 100x as much important, useful information stored in books as there is available in online tutorials, and even when AI begins to streamline the process of creating online learning from written material, who is going to produce that written material from which the AI can build the online resource?

5. The use of screens to learn has proven immensely distracting for students. Whereas people used to sit and read from books for hours on end, most students find it extremely difficult to focus on online learning without constantly leaving to check their social media, email, other videos, etc. Even when they're not checking those things, research shows that learning is hampered by the mere act of thinking about checking those things. The student learning off of a computer or phone is constantly distracted by the thought of other things they could be doing on that computer/phone.

If computer-based learning were merely superior, then we would have seen a noticeable rise in student outcomes once computer learning was introduced into the learning experience. Instead, we've seen the opposite. The more omnipresent screens have become, the worse students are doing. Tech boosters keep telling us, "But this is the only way!" and "Really, it will be better!" and "Trust the process!", but we're not seeing that.

And I haven't even gotten into how computer-based learning makes it so much easier for corporations to manipulate learners, insert ads and control the learning experience to meet their particular objectives.

I'm looking up at my bookshelf right now and even if I just picked my top 25 books on the shelf, the amount of wisdom in those books is incomparable. You can't replicate that with online tutorials, not even 1000 tutorials would give you what I've taken in from those books.

Last edited: