The culture of Anti-Intellectualism needs to be talked about more

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
people will choose what they choose but i think a good amount of it comes from upbringing.

i remember i was having a brief back and forth over instagram with someone about how kids are illiterate nowadays and i was mentioning how reading, for me, didn't stop when i left school. it was factored into other aspects of my life when i was home. one instance was reading the bible.

while i don't cling to organized religion or any of it's practices, having spent time reading in other times in my life really made it where it's just proper function and natural for me to seek instead of just jump hoops for approval.

it's important to show how education improves life too and is useful. how it can change your life. but, i feel like the public education system is probably worse than when i was in school so...everyone collectively has to enjoy the act of education. maybe outside of forcing it as a virtue or seeking random paths in hopes they stick, just consider the concept of education and intellectualism in order to begin breaking down old ideas and barriers set in one's mind about, just even the terms...

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It started as a legit push back against Eurocentric history and exposing the Gov't for their dirty deeds

Too many bad faith actors got on board and now it's just contrarianism
Fair point. Too much momentum in any direction causes a runaway effect. Controlling your emotions when facing reality is very difficult.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
To let Coli Brehs tell it:

"School ain't for everybody, breh."

:francis:
:beli:
When did school become the only means to educate yourself
If you want to be an entrepreneur or do a trade
School and taking on debt might not be the best choice for you
But it’s definitely dumb people that use it as an excuse

Last edited:

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Real talk, when we all get into our 70s/80s we might find that reading and writing have gone the way of hunting and fishing. Something that used to be common but faded because of technology.

As a person in the book industry, nothing annoys me more than being around people that proudly proclaim that they don’t read nor have any use for it. All the time in the world to read bullshyt captions and watch videos from random YouTubers but can’t sit still for an hour to read a book. These same people are having kids and continuing the cycle of stupidity. I dead ass look at that shyt as a plague to avoid.

I really don’t take people seriously when it comes to intellectual discussion. Whatever wild cockamamie theories they’ve got I let em have it. Mark Twain said it best to not argue with an idiot cuz it just makes you look like one. I save the real talk for my fellow seekers and learners.
Why equate reading with education
There are more ways to consume information
A book can’t compete with a good video or vr experience
The issue is more of the content people choose to consume
The information you consume is reflected in your thoughts and ideas

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Videos generally don't have end notes, citing where the quoted or referenced information comes from.

Lot of the half baked "information" presented over the years here from videos was debunked/refuted as soon as the videos were posted here. From people who have read books about the topics covered. And who cited the sources that disproved it.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Anti-intellectualism is some real bullshyt. It's like our culture's got some weird hang up about knowledge and education. We're all about celebrating ignorance, and it's holding us back big time. The lack of respect for critical thinking and education is making our country dumber.

all I got to say is I went to school with this one Black girl who got straight A's , and she got jumped by three hoodrats in school and they said she was an "embarrassment to Black people" for making honor roll

this was 8th or 9th grade

SOME Black people do think being smart isn't cool and this needs to be talked about more in our community because Black people are brilliant and we're holding ourselves back. We already have white supremacist Amerikkka holding us back, that's more than enough for us to deal with

it's like the infamous Chris Rock joke "niccas love to keep it real...REAL DUMB"

Chris wasn't talking about all Black people, or most Black people, just a fraction of us that's anti-intellectual

it's a real thing in our community unfortunately

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…

Nah I disagree, sure there’s other ways to learn but those are supplemental in comparison. A book is going to give you the full scope vs a video having to simplify it for the sake of run time.

They not even in the same stratosphere. Books come with whole Bibliographies to cite the author’s sources. A lot of the solid content from those videos come from extensive research through…wait for it….books! :russ:

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Anti-intellectualism is some real bullshyt. It's like our culture's got some weird hang up about knowledge and education. We're all about celebrating ignorance, and it's holding us back big time. The lack of respect for critical thinking and education is making our country dumber.
It's actually been like this for decades. I remember as a kid grown brehs saying stuff like "I can't stand a smart nikka" and they'll be serious. :francis:

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
School ain’t for everybody breh :manny:
I agree 101%. You have to be mindful it develops habits of finding and interpreting information which is needed throughout life. I'm not a big fan of the quality of education in the US. However, no one can't deny the correlation of the haves and have nots and their education levels.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Its alwys been here, just now its louder than ever thanks to the internet.

I still remember a teacher back in the late 90's talking about AIDS not being a diseased but a pest from god to punish fakkits and thats why it will never be cured, hell some here probably believe that today.