The Color Purple (2023)

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
This is the shyt hoes and white folks wanna see so here we are.
My theater was filled with White people. The movie wasn’t half as traumatic as the og but there was still a scene where racism came into play ( I forgot how the scene played out in og). Made me wonder why White people were even there but hell they may have loved the original too.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Right…there’s so many stories, and movie genres to still be making these black trauma/struggle movies. Especially with the talent that’s in this movie smh. They could’ve made a black love musical, or a fun coming of age story.
there are a lot of diverse topics black movies that came out this year. I feel most brehs only want to complain about this type of movie because they aren’t doing research for other joints.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this earlier today. Was a pretty good watch, actually. Awards conversations around this movie are probably about to get real uncomfortable.

The only time I was disappointed is the scene where Mister has Celie shave him after she gets the letters. I have been inappropriately laughing at "Fixin' ta shaaaaaave Mister," for the majority of my life, and they decided to do what was probably the smart thing, and eurostep right past it.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Saw this earlier today. Was a pretty good watch, actually. Awards conversations around this movie are probably about to get real uncomfortable.

The only time I was disappointed is the scene where Mister has Celie shave him after she gets the letters. I have been inappropriately laughing at "Fixin' ta shaaaaaave Mister," for the majority of my life, and they decided to do what was probably the smart thing, and eurostep right past it.

That's really interesting because the guy sitting beside me said the same thing. He was complaining how they jacked up that scene, and I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. But I don't watch the first movie a lot so I don't remember quite how it differs from the new one.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

I also don’t think the director made you feel she wanted to kill him.

They also didn’t have Shugg hit the “youze showz is ugly” line.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
So was this version positive of black men portrayed here or they was still on that feminist propaganda bullshyt???:beli:

This version was directed by a Black man, and there are some extra scenes and dialogue that are more sympathetic and nuanced when it comes to handling different Black men in the story. There's also a more noticeable redemption and forgiveness arc for Mister, which not everyone is happy about, but yeah, it definitely doesn't demonize Black men wholesale.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
So was this version positive of black men portrayed here or they was still on that feminist propaganda bullshyt???:beli:
I didn't see the original movie
But unless this one diverged completely from the original idk how ppl took that way from it
First of all, women were treated as property back then and older dudes taking on Black girls as wives was a realcthing(read the New Jim Crow)

Two, through everything that happens, they are still a family unit and they lean on each other for support

Harpo and Sofia, him raising her kids after she goes to jail, even after she has kids with another man

Even Mister seeks forgiveness and gets invited to the dinner

It's a post slavery movie, so a movie showing men not in the best light is true to life

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
This version was directed by a Black man, and there are some extra scenes and dialogue that are more sympathetic and nuanced when it comes to handling different Black men in the story. There's also a more noticeable redemption and forgiveness arc for Mister, which not everyone is happy about, but yeah, it definitely doesn't demonize Black men wholesale.
I got to watch the original now