The Color Purple (2023)

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm totally shocked the 🌈 scene was less graphic then the original. I really thought they was gonna go all out.

Fantasia not a bad actress. However she does not have the complexity that Whoopi had with the character.Whoopi made you believe she was truly shy, socially awkward, however you wanna say it. And when she finally was free you felt that as well. Fantasia was just one note (no pun intended).

I actually liked the musical aspect. It was creative to me. But the remake parts just don't hit. For example, when Sophia got out of jail in the original. You felt that this once powerful woman was broken. I felt nothing. When Sophia was shaving Mister. Thank junk had me of the edge of my seat as a kid. This was just rushed over. Colman Flame-mingo was cool as a wife beater. He can act but I didn't hate him. People hate Danny Glover to this day.

Again, the musical aspect was good. I would even say saved this film for me. It just doesn't have that impact to me. I can see why it flopped

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I felt like for a musical the songs were just okay. Generally, after seeing a good musical there’s a song stuck in my head, I’m listening to the soundtrack, etc. I didn’t have that experience at all with this movie. These songs just weren’t good enough, IMO.

With that being said, I thought Sophie was great. I also thought Colman Domingo was awesome as Mister. That’s actually a very physically embodied role how Danny Glover played him with the suspender popping and such, and dude was in good shape. Domingo did a fantastic job of capturing the physical essence of the role, but putting his own twist on it.