The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Makin really layered/dense character's and just throwin em into random situations based on a few graphs i made.

Just a way to pump out little 5-10 page shorts to keep productive

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Makin really layered/dense character's and just throwin em into random situations based on a few graphs i made.

Just a way to pump out little 5-10 page shorts to keep productive
That's actually a dope way to keep the creative juices going...What is your ultimate goal as far as project type (Screenplay/movie, TV project, short, etc?)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
That's actually a dope way to keep the creative juices going...What is your ultimate goal as far as project type (Screenplay/movie, TV project, short, etc?)
I do like 3-4 things creatively constantly so i never look at one as an end goal

i work in film crews already so being a writer lost the allure of an "ultimate goal" to me, i just chill with them more on set and i already was getting into it so job wise i'd rather be there. They all got pros/cons

Movies cool cuz there's less structure day to day work wise and you dont have to stretch stuff out as much, but ya shyt gets butchered by execs

Tv you have more power and a longer more stable work schedule, but deadlines and writer room politics can stress you into depression.

Shorts are literally just for fun or a pitch for a bigger project. You losin money and it's hard finding people down to help out, but when you do it's fun.

My boy just went back to school to the video game side of things to write so i thought that sounded cool :ohhh:

All of these fit the way i think better than being on set for 6 months :manny: so it really doesnt matter to me

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
I do like 3-4 things creatively constantly so i never look at one as an end goal

i work in film crews already so being a writer lost the allure of an "ultimate goal" to me, i just chill with them more on set and i already was getting into it so job wise i'd rather be there. They all got pros/cons

Movies cool cuz there's less structure day to day work wise and you dont have to stretch stuff out as much, but ya shyt gets butchered by execs

Tv you have more power and a longer more stable work schedule, but deadlines and writer room politics can stress you into depression.

Shorts are literally just for fun or a pitch for a bigger project. You losin money and it's hard finding people down to help out, but when you do it's fun.

My boy just went back to school to the video game side of things to write so i thought that sounded cool :ohhh:

All of these fit the way i think better than being on set for 6 months :manny: so it really doesnt matter to me

at the bolded, that's real. It seems like it's all apart of your wheel house ( the different roles/jobs in entertainment), so that's cool.

Like you said, each side has pros/cons (TV vs Movies vs Shorts) attached to them so It's about getting in, where you fit in.

Question, what would you say is the best way for a writer to try to break in TV/Film? Is entering certain festivals/competitions and placing (Top 15% or better) a good way or...

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
at the bolded, that's real. It seems like it's all apart of your wheel house ( the different roles/jobs in entertainment), so that's cool.

Like you said, each side has pros/cons (TV vs Movies vs Shorts) attached to them so It's about getting in, where you fit in.

Question, what would you say is the best way for a writer to try to break in TV/Film? Is entering certain festivals/competitions and placing (Top 15% or better) a good way or...
The best way to break into ANY film job is being cool with someone already in it and they hook you up. Outside of that you just gotta work on ya craft and try to put yourself in the right place/right time and talk to people. You can win all the contest in the world, a LOT of execs arent gonna give a shyt cuz being a good writer is more than just you putting together something cool for yourself

Look up Children of Tendu podcast, it's a writer from Lost and a few other things, explaining all of the technical side of shyt people dont think about

If you tryna write for cartoons i'd say it's a lil different. Im seeing more and more of those attists get on by making webcomics for free, building an audience, going to art expos and getting tables to sell their own merch, networking with the people there, and landing jobs once someone around them gets a show picked up based on the comics :ehh: i follow more of those people on social media so i've seen it happen step by step more than once

Actually writing comics is pretty damn hard but a good exercise, if any of you nikkas wanna try making atleast one 4 panel joint a day you'll see what i mean

Last edited:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
The best way to break into ANY film job is being cool with someone already in it and they hook you up. Outside of that you just gotta work on ya craft and try to put yourself in the right place/right time and talk to people. You can win all the contest in the world, a LOT of execs arent gonna give a shyt cuz being a good writer is more than just you putting together something cool for yourself

Look up Children of Tendu podcast, it's a writer from Lost and a few other things, explaining all of the technical side of shyt people dont think about

If you tryna write for cartoons i'd say it's a lil different. Im seeing more and more of those attists get on by making webcomics for free, building an audience, going to art expos and getting tables to sell their own merch, networking with the people there, and landing jobs once someone around them gets a show picked up based on the comics :ehh: i follow more of those people on social media so i've seen it happen step by step more than once

Actually writing comics is pretty damn hard but a good exercise, if any of you nikkas wanna try making atleast one 4 panel joint a day you'll see what i mean
Respect :salute:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
My editor sent me a little test footage from our latest music video and I wanted to share with my filmmaking brehs.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do ya'll feel about including pronunciations for certain words in a script, especially a sci-fi/fantasy one? I've seen one person say they like it because it helps immerse them more into the world while another person said it's too distracting and messes with the flow of the script.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How do ya'll feel about including pronunciations for certain words in a script, especially a sci-fi/fantasy one? I've seen one person say they like it because it helps immerse them more into the world while another person said it's too distracting and messes with the flow of the script.

Is it a made up word?