The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Finishing up another rewrite, as soon as it’s done I’ll send it to you. And yeah I made a script feedback thread and it was a flop lol. Figured PM’ing people who are interested in this thread is the best way to get some feedback.
Damn lol, looking forward to it breh :salute:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Can I read y'all shyt? Since it's pure labor of love and not tainted by hacky executives. I ain't trying to steal no one shyt. Hope you boys have gone to city hall and got y'all shyt copy righted.

No doubt bro, mines is a TV Pilot (Drama), just tweaking it some right now, feedback is always welcome.
I saw you're about to write a pilot yourself, what genre is it?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
No doubt bro, mines is a TV Pilot (Drama), just tweaking it some right now, feedback is always welcome.
I saw you're about to write a pilot yourself, what genre is it?
Most likely comedy or a thriller breh. That's dope. Will start today

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Oh that's what's up. I'm working on a comedy pilot too. Hardest part sometimes is page 1, after that you'll be good bruh
I'm not going to force it or brainstorm premises. Going to free write for a bit, take breaks if needed but dedicate an hour to it. See what comes out of it

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Haven't vented in here for a minute. Might as well
VY2wmdR.png

People complain about tropes, complain about "same old same", complain about cliches and formulaic shows, movies etc.

You write something, people read it, say it's good, but when they give you notes and you really dig through them and skip what they're saying and try to get to the meat of what they actually mean, what you figure out is...

They're basically saying "Where are the tropes? There's a formula for how things are done, and you've managed to bypass a few of them, you should consider putting them in!"

:patrice:

Sometimes it feels like as much as people say they want new stuff, different stuff, what they actually want it something they already know wrapped in the clothes of something different. Even people who should know better, insiders, people in the business etc. They say they want different shyt but what they want is a story they've already read but with characters with new names.

:snoop:

I'm tired of writing
VY2wmdR.png
If these people ain't gatekeepers/pros, share it with us. We need ambitious talent who desire to explore new territory. Please get it copyrighted first and we keep it in PMs.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
hmm, i don't know. If it's a running theme, I'd probably establish it early, then just roll with it. or do something like.

Eva falls into bed.

EVA'S VISIONS - a purple dog shyts on the lawn

Eva's eyes shoot open. she sits up in a cold sweat.

EVA
That dog was fukkin purple!

but i can see something like that getting tedious. i'd just try to find a movie that did something similar, than copy how they wrote it. no matter how you end of writing it, some know it all jackass is gonna tell you he was confused and it "halted my read" and wasn't clear, and blah blah
Butterfly Effect, theirs scenes with that kind of. Hopefully that script is available online.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I feel you
:ehh:Keep me updated on this playa, I'm interested
IMG_20180614_030451317.jpg

IMG_20180614_030513514.jpg

IMG_20180614_030528707.jpg
I don't think I spent an hour lol but this wasn't done in 5 mins neither and nor was I staring blankly. I just zoned in, it was fun. I did the underlining after I was done. It looked like I spent quite some time looking at the clock. I used the coffitivity app, low volume with my earbuds on and went to work. Tommorow I will actually brainstorm.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
IMG_20180614_030451317.jpg

IMG_20180614_030513514.jpg

IMG_20180614_030528707.jpg
I don't think I spent an hour lol but this wasn't done in 5 mins neither and nor was I staring blankly. I just zoned in, it was fun. I did the underlining after I was done. It looked like I spent quite some time looking at the clock. I used the coffitivity app, low volume with my earbuds on and went to work. Tommorow I will actually brainstorm.

To grind or F off life? Yooo, I know you were just writing all your thoughts of everything that was coming to you but that was highly motivational bruh. STRAIGHT UP

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps