The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
The short film I'm shooting in start of april.

Synopsis

Klara is a dancer in her mid-twenties going for a yet another dancing audition. After being unable to making it professionally she decides this is it; if she doesn‘t get this part she‘ll quit trying to make dancing as her primary focus and find another way to make a living for the rest her life. Klara gives it all she‘s got in the audition without getting the part. Depressed with her sitiation she agrees to go out drinking with her girlfriends to cheer her up but things turn ugly when Klara drinks too much and her alcohol-fueled behaviour spirals out of control with dire consequence.
So what happens, she get gang raped? Would make the story more exciting. :manny:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I think people fail when they look for success in movie/tv business. If you are doing it because you love it then success will find you.

fame is something I want no part of. I look at it as a potential job. Just as Joe dikkbag has a hard time breaking into his desired field, that's who I approach this... and I know I'm barely a blip on anyone's radar b/c of my location mostly.

If I could make... shyt, if I could make the same amount joe dikkbag makes at his job by writing, I'd be on cloud 9. Sure, I want the big bucks that come with selling scripts, but I'd clean the toilets with my hands for a chance just to pitch a joke a week on your least favorite sitcom at this point.

As of right now, I'm currently working with "aspiring producer" #4 on a show idea. Another guy who promises he knows people and can get me in. This guy is far and away the most legit so far, but I'm not getting excited. never do. I'm incapable.

Conz

Superstar
Daps

I look at stuff like this and it instantly appeals to me (well, im white, so maybe not as much on this one) then i get to the bottom of the page and there's the $45 charge and all I can think is... if this was me, I'd read about 50 submissions, pick the best, and just collect the $45 from everyone else. I just don't trust these things.

On the other hand, I've read a lot of amateur scripts that come with accolades from online contests - "Top 5% This contest" "Silver Medal this contest" "Third place this contest" and they're never great to me.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I look at stuff like this and it instantly appeals to me (well, im white, so maybe not as much on this one) then i get to the bottom of the page and there's the $45 charge and all I can think is... if this was me, I'd read about 50 submissions, pick the best, and just collect the $45 from everyone else. I just don't trust these things.

On the other hand, I've read a lot of amateur scripts that come with accolades from online contests - "Top 5% This contest" "Silver Medal this contest" "Third place this contest" and they're never great to me.

Eh, I think you're being paranoid BET isn't getting rich off that entry fee, but either way its $45, what you got to lose? :manny:

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I say this to everyone I come across who wants to work in Hollywood or some other form of entertainment. Give it your best shot, good luck, etc.. Making it in the entertainment industry is kinda like playing the lotto (if you don't know the right people).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to write a movie if you have the passion, determination, you'll do it. The best directors working today didn't even go to college.. Hell, Tarantino.. didn't even make it to high school and basically learned by watching films and reading George V Higgins and Elmore Leonard books..

I will say this protect your shyt if you do finish it... because there are shytload of people (especially established people in Hollywood) who love to steal shyt. They will steal your screenplay or small indy flick and rename it, while changing minor things, etc..

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to write a movie if you have the passion, determination, you'll do it. The best directors working today didn't even go to college.. Hell, Tarantino.. didn't even make it to high school and basically learned by watching films and reading George V Higgins and Elmore Leonard books..

Two huge misconceptions in your post.

1) It's not rocket science to write a script.

It might not be rocket science to write one but its really fukking hard to write one that's worth a shyt. There are about 10 full time working go-to screenwriters in The industry and a 100 who get regular work.

That's not because Hollywood is exclusive. That's because writing screenplays is extremely hard.

Side-note: Sure there are directors working who didn't do the IVY league, USC or NYU thing. But they are extremely extremely lucky. The point of film school is to make connections and network. The education you get there can be had for nothing. But the exposure and contacts are priceless.

I will say this protect your shyt if you do finish it... because there are shytload of people (especially established people in Hollywood) who love to steal shyt. They will steal your screenplay or small indy flick and rename it, while changing minor things, etc..

2) someone is going to steal your screenplay

No one is going to steal your screenplay. Chances are if you wrote it, regardless of how original you think it is, that same idea is already out there floating around to begin with. Every few years you'll get a friviolous lawsuit thrown out by a judge for this reason. It's actually cheaper for the studios to simply buy your script at bottom rate than it would be for them to defend the lawsuit.

Sure someone might steal the way you did something, an approach you took, a ticking time bomb or an obstacle. But that's common. Most writers read other writers' scripts and sub consciously or consciously steal shyt all of the time.

Registering your script is the best bet and a good step, but don't be afraid to have others look at your work.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
If anyone has anything they want read and for me (or anyone else) to provide notes/coverage post a link here. I think that would be some good use of this thread.