The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
they was about to rape her?

Yes. It's fukking weird movie.

The movie is about a father, two sons and their maid right before a asteroid is going to hit the earth and destroy it. In this world the norm is to be gay and being straight is a illness and throughout the movie they come clean and admit that they really are straight.
...and they rape her :rudy:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes. It's fukking weird movie.

The movie is about a father, two sons and their maid right before a asteroid is going to hit the earth and destroy it. In this world the norm is to be gay and being straight is a illness and throughout the movie they come clean and admit that they really are straight.
...and they rape her :rudy:

:whoo:
I might have to do the Americanized version :smugbiden:

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
Thanks for the reply. So what did you do immediately when you came to LAX? Did you have a friend there for you who showed you around, or did you look at some craigslist listings for writing, take a course, etc?

Seems like you enjoying it there. Weather must be nice 24/7

Well immediately, I made sure I busted my ass so that I can take care of the rent lol. I'm from Virginia, so all I would hear is how expensive Cali is and how impossible it is to live. So when I first got here I stayed in the crib a lot working crazy hours just to cover myself. Kept my expenses to a minimum.

I breathe easier now and am more social and whatnot, but I still don't have a TV or cable and get online using my phone's wi-fi hotspot. Best thing I could have did, because I'm not ballin but I'm not struggling either. I'd advise anyone to start small and humble and then expand when doing something like this.

I found the crib I'm in by apartment hunting for like a week. I basically used web listings and straight drove around looking for cribs until I found one that was in my price range and available for when I was trying to move in. I pay $950 for a 1 bedroom in a decent area. Could be worse.

By coincidence, a person I used to work with moved out here like 3 months before I did. We weren't that close at work, but hang hard now and kinda act like a support system helping each other out.

As far as writing goes, my goal right now is to get staffed on a TV show. In order to do that, I'll have to have a nice portfolio of spec scripts (scripts written for existing shows) and original pilots. I have a really solid spec, but before 2013 is out, I plan to have two more specs, an original pilot and a screenplay (writing with a friend) under my belt. It's basically all about writing every day and putting yourself on deadlines.

On trying to break into the business, the biggest thing I've done is apply for the new TV writer fellowships that networks have. What you have to do for those is submit a spec script and fill out the application. Most don't cost anything, but this can literally give you a career. I was fortunate enough to have my spec script get me a finalist spot in a writing program that Bill Cosby sponsors and like I said, was ranked in the Top 5% for the Warner Bros program. While these could be considered failures, they've given me the chance to interview with people that run these programs, make some contacts by getting invited to the WB thing since I was ALMOST good enough and just validation that my writing is solid and will pay off with some seasoning.

These TV writing programs are typically geared toward minorities or "diversity." I'm working on a House of Lies (Showtime show) spec script now that I'm submitting to Nickelodeon. Their deadline is the end of February. Throughout the Spring, there are also writing fellowships open through ABC, CBS, NBC, Warner Bros and maybe a few others. I'm applying to every last one of them. Knowing I have these deadlines, it makes it easier to keep on task and write, since this isn't what I do for a living yet.

I also attended a meeting of the Organization of Black Screenwriters to network, and got a chance to meet the woman who runs the Nickelodeon writing program. We chopped it up and I told her I applied last year, and mentioned that it got me ranked highly with WB and the Cosby Program, but not with them lol. It really is like that sometimes. You'll have certain people fall in love with your script while others don't care for it.

Oh yeah, another point of validation was that a woman that spoke to us at the Warner Bros thing that the Top 5% people were invited to remembered my script when I told her the premise. She loved it and told me to definitely keep writing and not to become "Hollywood", because I need to keep my perspective and way I see the world instead of blending in with everyone else.

I also do a little standup, hitting open mics out here. So yeah breh, I'm basically trying to break in any way I can. I'm going to be writing my ass off this year and will have some solid scripts to show for it. With these scripts I can keep networking and begin approaching agents.

I've never taken a course, I basically read through a few books/blogs/message boards to get a feel for the do's and don'ts, downloaded Final Draft from a Torrent and got writing. One thing that I was told is whether you're writing something completely original or writing for an existing show, make sure it's a story that you can draw upon and have fun with, because if you're having fun with it, it'll show on the page.

What kind of goals do you have? Are you looking more toward movies or TV?

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
so i got this idea for a screenplay that i fukkin love, i think it has huge mass appeal, i have the entire story in my head, i have a shytty outline and a beat sheet all filled out as well as character profiles and tons of notes/jokes/scenes ideas... and I'm going on 2 weeks now without writing a word. the fukk? this always happens around the time I'm ready to start the outline. It's like I'm afraid to actually start writing. I need to get my shyt in check.

When you get up, set a timer for 20 minutes and write something, anything. It'll get you in the habit of working on your script. And a good rule of thumb is to write three pages a day. It's not a lot, but it adds up. A lot of times, we try to be too precious with our first drafts too. If you give yourself permission to suck you won't procrastinate as much. You can always make magic in the rewrites.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing. I graduated with a degree in Creative Advertising/Copywriting.

Freelancing from home right now, tryna pick up a steady line of 3-4 good paying clients so I can write TV/practice when I'm not doing stuff for them.

If I was you man, I'd start saving up, get some scripts written and make the move out here. It sounds crazy and outlandish to do, but all it takes is the action of doing it. People like you and me have the advantage of being able to work from home. I'm sure you could link up with some roommates and easily split rent and be good.

I was so hesitant because all you hear is cost of living this, gas prices and traffic that. All this stuff is true now that I'm going through it, I look at people like :what:. It's expensive but not a nightmare if you make the right decisions. I moved out here with my wife with whatever I was able to stuff into my car. Before buying a fridge, we were eating fruit and vegetable trays out of a cooler, lol. But it was worth it.

I say you gotta move out here because the energy is unreal. Of course the weather is always nice, but everyone out here is trying to make art so it inspires you to want to stay on your grind and link up with like minded people. I can't go to a Krispy Kreme in Burbank without overhearing people talking about what TV show they're working on. It's just :ahh: :wow:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That Save the Cat book is ILL! I'm doing character sketches and a time line for my first idea but I wanna finish the book before I really get to it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
i read scripts instead of books. they only take about an hour and they cut out all the filler. I started a chart for 2013 on which scripts I've read. I've only read 4 this year so far (not counting TV or my own) 2 pro, 2 am. I want to read at least 50. Whereas it took me a month to read 200 pages of "A Feast for Crows" and I honestly don't think I'm ever going to finish that series of books. book has been torture so far.

Question for you kind sir. Apologies for the length.

You and others in this thread made valid points about sticking within a realistic budget and not to write too grand of a story involving explosions and whatnot. I bring this up because obviously with video games, pixar movies, animated movies in general, and even serialized animated shows like dragon ball z or afro samurai, it appears one would be able to pitch crazier/more grandoise ideas without worry of the cost of damage on set. I'm not sure whether that makes it any cheaper because the cost to animate probably aint just a couple pennies... but still an animated route doesn't seem like a bad alternative at first.

I cite examples like Archer, Black Dynamite, the Boondocks... and even Family Guy with how they can capture suspense and action (i.e. Peter vs the chicken mascot). Granted, all these shows are largely humor first and don't ever seem to take themselves too seriously except maybe when conveying whatever message or theme a given show is centered on (boondocks and family guy in particular).

So for those who would have bigger or wilder story ideas (TV wise)... would you say that keeping the idea and pitching for an animated production of it would be worth it? Or would you say that the market is far too limiting (outside of kiddy stuff) and that it'd be better to just tone things down to keep it producible as a live action piece?

Or, and this may more so be a separate question, would it be better to just write it as a book or a comic and hope its appealing enough to get picked up (tho and potentially butchered) into something? ala walking dead, game of thrones, boondocks, etc?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Question for you kind sir. Apologies for the length.

You and others in this thread made valid points about sticking within a realistic budget and not to write too grand of a story involving explosions and whatnot. I bring this up because obviously with video games, pixar movies, animated movies in general, and even serialized animated shows like dragon ball z or afro samurai, it appears one would be able to pitch crazier/more grandoise ideas without worry of the cost of damage on set. I'm not sure whether that makes it any cheaper because the cost to animate probably aint just a couple pennies... but still an animated route doesn't seem like a bad alternative at first.

I cite examples like Archer, Black Dynamite, the Boondocks... and even Family Guy with how they can capture suspense and action (i.e. Peter vs the chicken mascot). Granted, all these shows are largely humor first and don't ever seem to take themselves too seriously except maybe when conveying whatever message or theme a given show is centered on (boondocks and family guy in particular).

So for those who would have bigger or wilder story ideas (TV wise)... would you say that keeping the idea and pitching for an animated production of it would be worth it? Or would you say that the market is far too limiting (outside of kiddy stuff) and that it'd be better to just tone things down to keep it producible as a live action piece?

Or, and this may more so be a separate question, would it be better to just write it as a book or a comic and hope its appealing enough to get picked up (tho and potentially butchered) into something? ala walking dead, game of thrones, boondocks, etc?

how many animated movies come out a year vs. live action. i imagine it's nearly impossible to pitch an original animated story b/c there's only a few big companies making the top animated movies.

I think a lot of animation guys start out working as low level lackeys in the business. i know for example Seth MacFarlane worked at Hannah Barbara, and the Regular Show guy started in a similar position working for another show/company.

I've honestly never ever read an animated script, but i did just download Wreck-It Ralph, and since I haven't seen it yet, ill probably give that a read.

I wish i knew what advice to give, but i dont really have any idea about animation, video games, comics, etc.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
how many animated movies come out a year vs. live action. i imagine it's nearly impossible to pitch an original animated story b/c there's only a few big companies making the top animated movies.

I think a lot of animation guys start out working as low level lackeys in the business. i know for example Seth MacFarlane worked at Hannah Barbara, and the Regular Show guy started in a similar position working for another show/company.

I've honestly never ever read an animated script, but i did just download Wreck-It Ralph, and since I haven't seen it yet, ill probably give that a read.

I wish i knew what advice to give, but i dont really have any idea about animation, video games, comics, etc.

its all good. just looking at the current ratio of live action vs animated (thats not child-centric), i figured that its like that for a reason with the Archers and Boondock's and Family Guy's being the few exceptions.. and ones that came about through unconventional means anyway.

I actually found myself thinking of this a few weeks back while reflecting on the Game of Thrones show in that, whether it was intended or not by the author (as i've never read the books), he was able to make a compelling fantasy/supernatural, magic and dragons story without having much to show for in actual magic or dragons or other supernatural beings.. except in short spurts/key moments. Very cost effective imo. Not saying Game of Thrones probaby wasn't still an expensive idea to pitch but it was designed (intentionally or not) to work very well on the small screen w/o having to rely on cheap cgi and whatnot.

so truthfully i've been interested for some time now in script writing/authoring and have always been juggling numerous ideas but just never put them down on paper. While i have some that don't follow a grandoise or sci-fi/supernatural element, those are still my preferred routes... but a lot of those that are of that ilk (whether it be a game of thrones or a walking dead) seemed to have evolved from books or comics by those who may have never thought that their work would evolve to any other form of media.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well immediately, I made sure I busted my ass so that I can take care of the rent lol. I'm from Virginia, so all I would hear is how expensive Cali is and how impossible it is to live. So when I first got here I stayed in the crib a lot working crazy hours just to cover myself. Kept my expenses to a minimum.

I breathe easier now and am more social and whatnot, but I still don't have a TV or cable and get online using my phone's wi-fi hotspot. Best thing I could have did, because I'm not ballin but I'm not struggling either. I'd advise anyone to start small and humble and then expand when doing something like this.

I found the crib I'm in by apartment hunting for like a week. I basically used web listings and straight drove around looking for cribs until I found one that was in my price range and available for when I was trying to move in. I pay $950 for a 1 bedroom in a decent area. Could be worse.

By coincidence, a person I used to work with moved out here like 3 months before I did. We weren't that close at work, but hang hard now and kinda act like a support system helping each other out.

As far as writing goes, my goal right now is to get staffed on a TV show. In order to do that, I'll have to have a nice portfolio of spec scripts (scripts written for existing shows) and original pilots. I have a really solid spec, but before 2013 is out, I plan to have two more specs, an original pilot and a screenplay (writing with a friend) under my belt. It's basically all about writing every day and putting yourself on deadlines.

On trying to break into the business, the biggest thing I've done is apply for the new TV writer fellowships that networks have. What you have to do for those is submit a spec script and fill out the application. Most don't cost anything, but this can literally give you a career. I was fortunate enough to have my spec script get me a finalist spot in a writing program that Bill Cosby sponsors and like I said, was ranked in the Top 5% for the Warner Bros program. While these could be considered failures, they've given me the chance to interview with people that run these programs, make some contacts by getting invited to the WB thing since I was ALMOST good enough and just validation that my writing is solid and will pay off with some seasoning.

These TV writing programs are typically geared toward minorities or "diversity." I'm working on a House of Lies (Showtime show) spec script now that I'm submitting to Nickelodeon. Their deadline is the end of February. Throughout the Spring, there are also writing fellowships open through ABC, CBS, NBC, Warner Bros and maybe a few others. I'm applying to every last one of them. Knowing I have these deadlines, it makes it easier to keep on task and write, since this isn't what I do for a living yet.

I also attended a meeting of the Organization of Black Screenwriters to network, and got a chance to meet the woman who runs the Nickelodeon writing program. We chopped it up and I told her I applied last year, and mentioned that it got me ranked highly with WB and the Cosby Program, but not with them lol. It really is like that sometimes. You'll have certain people fall in love with your script while others don't care for it.

Oh yeah, another point of validation was that a woman that spoke to us at the Warner Bros thing that the Top 5% people were invited to remembered my script when I told her the premise. She loved it and told me to definitely keep writing and not to become "Hollywood", because I need to keep my perspective and way I see the world instead of blending in with everyone else.

I also do a little standup, hitting open mics out here. So yeah breh, I'm basically trying to break in any way I can. I'm going to be writing my ass off this year and will have some solid scripts to show for it. With these scripts I can keep networking and begin approaching agents.

I've never taken a course, I basically read through a few books/blogs/message boards to get a feel for the do's and don'ts, downloaded Final Draft from a Torrent and got writing. One thing that I was told is whether you're writing something completely original or writing for an existing show, make sure it's a story that you can draw upon and have fun with, because if you're having fun with it, it'll show on the page.

What kind of goals do you have? Are you looking more toward movies or TV?

Appreciate the long reply. Since the summer I had an idea for a script and I kept making notes in my phone, came to a lot yesterday as I put them down on computer for once (Microsoft Word 6 page single spaced). I actually have maybe 10 ideas for scripts, 5 or 6 which I really like and am being serious about as the days goes on for writing but still would like to focus on my first one. I have the dialogue and ideas down but I'm just starting to learn about structure and stuff and will soon get a few books I been hearing about (Save the Cat, Story, Screenwriter's Bible)

There is an Intro to Screenwriting course which I take at school as an elective, which is very different from my major. I doubt very much that I will go for a career in my major, if I could start today it would be either Theatre, Marketing or Screenwriting.

People always have told me for as long as I could remember that I'm a good storyteller when I'm telling one or retelling what occurred. They always laugh, enjoy and these are people of all types who can differentiate me from everyone else, so I have a feeling they are being actually truthful about it. Have always been told I can be a good actor (now imagine how many of those you have in LA lol) and have taken some electives at school for that as well.

I actually only have interest in movies (particularly in drama and comedy, not much interest in action, adventure, sci-fi, horror - which I believe is the latter ones involve big budgets) can't do television. Movies there is a beginning, middle and end, whereas television have episodes that keep prolonging. For example, I just started watching Prison Break and I could never be able to write something so lengthly, I wouldn't mind a comedy though, something like Modern Family.

I thought you were a young guy in your 20s (well you might be but I'm assuming not as you're married), would probably be more fun being single there. You were able to move from one state to another, I'm not sure how the situation is with regards to me moving from Toronto to LA.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think people fail when they look for success in movie/tv business. If you are doing it because you love it then success will find you.

LongJohn

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've written several screenplays. Without a inside connect in the industry its hard to get in. If somebody had a connect I would give them half the money of my screenplay if the connect buys it lol.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The short film I'm shooting in start of april.

Synopsis

Klara is a dancer in her mid-twenties going for a yet another dancing audition. After being unable to making it professionally she decides this is it; if she doesn‘t get this part she‘ll quit trying to make dancing as her primary focus and find another way to make a living for the rest her life. Klara gives it all she‘s got in the audition without getting the part. Depressed with her sitiation she agrees to go out drinking with her girlfriends to cheer her up but things turn ugly when Klara drinks too much and her alcohol-fueled behaviour spirals out of control with dire consequence.