The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so i got this idea for a screenplay that i fukkin love, i think it has huge mass appeal, i have the entire story in my head, i have a shytty outline and a beat sheet all filled out as well as character profiles and tons of notes/jokes/scenes ideas... and I'm going on 2 weeks now without writing a word. the fukk? this always happens around the time I'm ready to start the outline. It's like I'm afraid to actually start writing. I need to get my shyt in check.

Same, but mines been for months. I kept typing notes in my phone anytime an idea, joke, character, dialogue, etc came to mind for months now.

Typed it on Microsoft Word my notes, came to 6 pages single spaced. Not bad I guess.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Thanks everyone for all the good info....

In college, I majored in Economics, but virtually all of my liberal arts credits went towards film related courses... Ever since I was 17 I've been jotting down random ideas, thoughts, jokes that I thought of or heard other people say, random conversations that I observed that may have been clever or thought provoking and I've been recording them on the same word doc that is about 20 pages long now...

I am a student of film and I try watch as much as possible paying attention to the way things are shot an trying to figure out why they used a certain camera angle, dialogue, and character development...

I want to start organizing my ideas and putting together screenplays and this thread inspired me to complete what I started...

:salute:

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Moved to LA three months ago to get into TV writing. I applied to a bunch of writing fellowships, Nickelodeon, NBC, Bill Cosby Program, Warner Bros. Didn't get into any of them but I was a finalist in the Cosby Fellowship and Top 5% in Warner Bros. It was cool because since I was Top 5% in WB, they invited me and others out to a seminar on the WB lot, which took place within weeks of me moving to LA. That was a nice little confirmation of my talent and something to help me hit the ground running with inspiration and contacts.

Right now I'm working on a new spec to submit to programs for this year (Nickelodeon is back open for submissions), going to finish a pilot spec after that and while finishing these two my boy and I (he lives in New York to do standup) are writing a screenplay. Before the year is out I also plan to write a drama spec to round out my portfolio. This is my year and I'm planning to work my ass off to be in a better position this time next year than I currently am. And sidenote, I'm loving LA so far.

You got a degree in something writing related? What experience do you have in writing prior to moving?

Thought of moving there too in like 2 years but I'm in Toronto so I dunno what the situation is regarding a work permit, citizenship, etc.

EDIT: I noticed you said you attended this.

https://pitchfest.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gfb4X65m7MA

How did you find it? Worth it? Seems great.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
You got a degree in something writing related? What experience do you have in writing prior to moving?

Thought of moving there too in like 2 years but I'm in Toronto so I dunno what the situation is regarding a work permit, citizenship, etc.

EDIT: I noticed you said you attended this.

https://pitchfest.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gfb4X65m7MA

How did you find it? Worth it? Seems great.

Yeah, my degree was in Mass Communications/Journalism. I worked as a reporter at a newspaper for some years, built up freelance clients on the side so that I can work for myself and continued writing scripts in my spare time.
If it's what you want to do I'd definitely advise making the move. The energy out here is great and it's easy to stumble across new contacts because most people aren't from here, they're out here for the same reasons you are.

I actually didn't attend the Pitchfest. What I was referring to was a sort of informal seminar I was invited to by Warner Bros. because I was in the Top 5% best applicants for their new writers program WB Writers. It was great and I walked away with new energy and a few contacts.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I understand it ultimately comes down to ME and only ME, but fukk it, I need a hustler on my side.

haha. You sound like me when i was in the beatmaking game. I had the product but I hated the industry networking aspect of it.

Since writing is more of a serious art, I'd expect pure talent alone to be enough to break it.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
so I've been contacted again by a nobody to write with them with promises of connections and hustle...

I'm a sucker, so I'll probably do it, but if it's anything like the last 2, it will be excuse after excuse of why this guy decided to pass, or this guy never got around to reading it.

One guy strung me along for weeks that he got people to kick $30 grand into filming a pilot script and then shopping it... but then they said the location backed out. What a load of bullshyt.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, my degree was in Mass Communications/Journalism. I worked as a reporter at a newspaper for some years, built up freelance clients on the side so that I can work for myself and continued writing scripts in my spare time.
If it's what you want to do I'd definitely advise making the move. The energy out here is great and it's easy to stumble across new contacts because most people aren't from here, they're out here for the same reasons you are.

I actually didn't attend the Pitchfest. What I was referring to was a sort of informal seminar I was invited to by Warner Bros. because I was in the Top 5% best applicants for their new writers program WB Writers. It was great and I walked away with new energy and a few contacts.

Thanks for the reply. So what did you do immediately when you came to LAX? Did you have a friend there for you who showed you around, or did you look at some craigslist listings for writing, take a course, etc?

Seems like you enjoying it there. Weather must be nice 24/7

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
peace and props to the grinders in here..

i have a circle of personnel ones who are selling scripts and screenplays..

I advice you all to head to every festivals and events and just sell yourself (looks/appeal) and have your secret weapon ready to surrender at the right time.

Desperado tactics is the way!!!!

Conz

Superstar
Daps
peace and props to the grinders in here..

i have a circle of personnel ones who are selling scripts and screenplays..

I advice you all to head to every festivals and events and just sell yourself (looks/appeal) and have your secret weapon ready to surrender at the right time.

Desperado tactics is the way!!!!

I'm just not capable of doing this. it will be my downfall. I'm not gonna pretend I'm a super talent that Hollywood needs, but I think my "skill" coupled with some shameless dude's "hustle" would have an agent, manager, and a staff job by now.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Here is a short movie I produced last october directed Marteinn Thorsson (mostly known for directing a movie called One Point O (2004) - IMDb starring Jeremy Sisto, Udo Kier, Deborah Unger, Eugene Byrd and Lance Henriksen). The cinematography is :scusthov: at points but its was a learning experience:manny:

Last edited:

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really want to know what you guys think about these next questions. Do you think that reading scripts can ever replace
reading novels from an entertainment standpoint? Also do you think it's possible to make reading scripts into a commonplace
activity in mainstream America? I wonder because you can tell a great amount of story via script in less pages and it can be read
in quicker time. Let me know.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i read scripts instead of books. they only take about an hour and they cut out all the filler. I started a chart for 2013 on which scripts I've read. I've only read 4 this year so far (not counting TV or my own) 2 pro, 2 am. I want to read at least 50. Whereas it took me a month to read 200 pages of "A Feast for Crows" and I honestly don't think I'm ever going to finish that series of books. book has been torture so far.