The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the guy who optioned my script is in the process of getting this place off the ground Maui Film Studios, LLC That doesn't mean much in terms of my script, I still have no faith it's even worth making, but this is still pretty cool. He says they already have a bunch of big projects lining up to film on the island. Apparently Maui didn't have one before this.

MF_BREW

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee,WI
Mostly writing short stories,music video ideas and a couple full length movies that are not done.

*Got to get back to them*

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Mostly writing short stories,music video ideas and a couple full length movies that are not done.

*Got to get back to them*

Yeah, I have a ton of short stories but now I want to expand. The Save the Cat book has become my Bible for putting together a screen play tbh.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Yeah, I have a ton of short stories but now I want to expand. The Save the Cat book has become my Bible for putting together a screen play tbh.

Save the Cat is good. But don't rely too heavily on it. Most screenwriters and people in the industry think it's garbage. I'm of the opinion that it's perfect for first time writers or people who want to be introduced to proper structure. It's also a light read. Which makes it great IMO.

I've read it about 4 times. I've also read the 2 follow up books. It gave me my foundation.

Don't be limited by the rules in STC though. You always want to maintain the 3 act structure....but you should definitely subvert some of the beats that STC proposes.

If you want to know what the industry pretty much considers the screenwriting Bible: It's a toss up between either Syd Fields The Foundations of Screenwriting or Robert McKee's Story (A heavy, heavy read). Don't let anyone tell you that either of those books are outdated. The principles of screenwriting haven't changed and won't. The 3 act structure is the way everyone tells stories. The ideas of conflict and obstacles aren't going to change either.

Casablanca, just as an example, was made in 1942. It's based on a 3 act structure. And uses some pretty cliche'd plot devices (some of which it created). Yet it's still a relevant film that can be watched today just as it was back then.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Save the Cat is good. But don't rely too heavily on it.

Most screenwriters and people in the industry think it's garbage. I'm of the opinion that it's perfect for first time writers or people who want to be introduced to proper structure. It's also a light read. Which makes it great IMO.

I've read it about 4 times. I've also read the 2 follow up books.

Don't be limited by the rules in STC though. You always want to maintain the 3 act structure....but you should definitely subvert some of the beats that STC proposes.

If you want to know what the industry pretty much considers the screenwriting Bible: It's a toss up between either Syd Fields The Foundations of Screenwriting or Robert McKee's Story (A heavy, heavy read).

Don't let anyone tell you that either of those books are outdated. The principles of screenwriting hasn't changed and won't. The 3 act structure is the way everyone tells stories. The ideas of conflict and obstacles aren't going to change.

Casablanca, just as an example, was made in 1942. It's based on a 3 act structure. And uses some pretty cliche'd plot devices (some of which it created). Yet it's still a relevant film that can be watched today just as it was yesterday.

Many thanks for the advice, I'll check these out. I'll probably write my first draft once I'm done with Save the Cat though, just so that I can keep driven and use the next books (Robert Mckee reviews are saying it can help general story writing too so I'm thinking that's next) to inspire rewrites (my biggest issue as a writer is that I get lazy on rewrites).

Conz

Superstar
Daps
most people think it's garbage because they seem to be a bitter pack of a$$holes who all think they are geniuses.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Many thanks for the advice

No problem.

most people think it's garbage because they seem to be a bitter pack of a$$holes who all think they are geniuses.

Exactly. It also has to do with the fact that Save the Cat breaks down what they do pretty effectively. Lowers the bar of entry. Creates competition.

One of the best reviewed animated movies of all time was based on the Save the Cat beat sheet. The producers even dedicated the film to Blake Snyder.

Dreamworks' How To Train Your Dragon

Link to story:
Save the Cat!® » Blog Archive » How the Dragon Really Got Trained

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you want to know what the industry pretty much considers the screenwriting Bible: It's a toss up between either Syd Fields The Foundations of Screenwriting or Robert McKee's Story (A heavy, heavy read). Don't let anyone tell you that either of those books are outdated. The principles of screenwriting haven't changed and won't. The 3 act structure is the way everyone tells stories. The ideas of conflict and obstacles aren't going to change either.

I keep hearing about these books. I have the Screenwriters Bible and currenty reading Tom Lazarus Secrets of Film writing

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is it?

it's good, it's th first screenwriting book I have read lol but nonetheless it helped with things I wouldve made mistakes on in the future had I not read it (Lazarus book)

gradually making steps to the next books

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I directed this remake scene from Psycho last week :leon:

Last edited: