The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
I get breh was excited and all but you aint supposed to put out stuff like that until you atleast got a first draft done and it's registered with the WGA

Someone who writes faster and has better connections could swoop his idea in a second and he wouldnt be able to do shyt about it
Nah you're definitely keeping it 1000 with fam

I remember the first time I finished a script and got it registered with WGA, I was ready to send it to EVERYONE, my homies that are actual vets in the industry and have Movie/TV credits were like :ohhh::dwillhuh::dahell:Ayoo now wait a minute :whoa: Don't do it:ufdup:Reconsider, read some lit-erature on the subject are you sure:damn:

It's a tough lesson to learn

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
@T-K-G and @Quantan I do wish there was a way a group of us could link up and help each other as a creative collective (Some are writers, some are directors, some are producers, actors/actresses) on here without the risk of that theft possibility

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
@T-K-G and @Quantan I do wish there was a way a group of us could link up and help each other as a creative collective (Some are writers, some are directors, some are producers, actors/actresses) on here without the risk of that theft possibility

It's possible, but it probably needs to be done via PM's. One person wrote a book and asked if I could help them push it to publishers, but I was honest with breh. I don't have time to do that right now, especially considering I hadn't even read his book. Can't send things to people that haven't been properly vetted. Business is hard, everyone wants to do it, studios want to re-make their old stuff because it's easier to market. Tough game right now.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
It's possible, but it probably needs to be done via PM's. One person wrote a book and asked if I could help them push it to publishers, but I was honest with breh. I don't have time to do that right now, especially considering I hadn't even read his book. Can't send things to people that haven't been properly vetted. Business is hard, everyone wants to do it, studios want to re-make their old stuff because it's easier to market. Tough game right now.

Yeah at least you kept it real with bruh.
at the bolded you spitting the gospel right there. In my group I know a few people that have done things..and the only thing that guarantees you is...knowing people that have done things...that has nothing to do with your career progress

But it would be dope if the brothers and sisters were able to come together and do something positive...(through PM's like you said)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Between workin on productions and developing my own skills/doin side projects with other crew people, i honestly don't have the free time to do much :yeshrug: open to giving feedback and whatever insight i pick up from the writers/actors im around tho

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Between workin on productions and developing my own skills/doin side projects with other crew people, i honestly don't have the free time to do much :yeshrug: open to giving feedback and whatever insight i pick up from the writers/actors im around tho

Respect :salute:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I get breh was excited and all but you aint supposed to put out stuff like that until you atleast got a first draft done and it's registered with the WGA

Someone who writes faster and has better connections could swoop his idea in a second and he wouldnt be able to do shyt about it

And because it's such a "timely" subject, he'd have literally no leg to stand on, even if he sharked your idea/logline word for word.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
Had no idea this thread existed :dead: i work in film and chill/talk with the writers(and actors who write) daily on set about writing

If any brehs got any questions yall want me to ask em let me know :manny: aint shyt else to do on set but talk. Its a major network show so they do have insight on dealing with the big wigs and how to have the most control over your work.

they do write kind of differently on this show than most shows (constantly updating stuff based on current events, kinda like south park but not as intense)

Writing one feature and one episodic joint myself right now

I have a book I'm doing, scifi horror, that will introduce the world to a character who would fit in the marvel universe.

You think I should stay on course and self publish, let film producers chase me, or should I seek out agents.

This concept is so dynamic it's a sure hit and blockbuster! The main character, villain to some, hero to others will make the world forget about Black Panther!

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I have a book I'm doing, scifi horror, that will introduce the world to a character who would fit in the marvel universe.

You think I should stay on course and self publish, let film producers chase me, or should I seek out agents.

This concept is so dynamic it's a sure hit and blockbuster! The main character, villain to some, hero to others will make the world forget about Black Panther!
I'd always suggest finding an agent, you may think them execs gonna chase you but the truth is they get tons of good work presented to them on the regular :manny: and the fact that you're an unknown wouldnt help you in negotiations at all.

Find an agent or someone who's well known to back you and walk you through that door, these execs will tear you apart if you have no experience dealin with em

Conz

Superstar
Daps
been trying to come up with a "high concept" pilot idea to send to an agent... and i just don't operate that way. all my ideas for tv are character driven "low concept" shyt. i don't even think anyone has a true definition of what "high concept" is. i'm not gonna pitch fukkin "Friends but they're on Mars!"

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
been trying to come up with a "high concept" pilot idea to send to an agent... and i just don't operate that way. all my ideas for tv are character driven "low concept" shyt. i don't even think anyone has a true definition of what "high concept" is. i'm not gonna pitch fukkin "Friends but they're on Mars!"

@Conz :russ:You joke but I bet someone has made that pitch (Friends but they're on Mars)