The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just submitted my script to this contest.

Screenwriting Contests

Waited til the absolute last minute with this because I kept going back to do minor edits. Had the same feeling I get when I go on a trip and I feel like I forgot something lol.

If any of ya'll are interested in doing script swaps (I'll give your script honest feedback, you give honest feedback to mine) then PM me

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Just submitted my script to this contest.

Screenwriting Contests

Waited til the absolute last minute with this because I kept going back to do minor edits. Had the same feeling I get when I go on a trip and I feel like I forgot something lol.

If any of ya'll are interested in doing script swaps (I'll give your script honest feedback, you give honest feedback to mine) then PM me

No doubt.:salute: Salute to you for actually submitting, it's a lot of people that are afraid to open themselves up to criticism so they don't submit a fire script

How many have you submitted to so far?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No doubt.:salute: Salute to you for actually submitting, it's a lot of people that are afraid to open themselves up to criticism so they don't submit a fire script

How many have you submitted to so far?

Appreciate it bro. :salute: First script. I wrote the first draft of a script in college about 8 years ago that won a student contest (Think my competition was like 10 other scripts lol) but never did anything with it after that. They always say your first script is your worst script so I’m not expecting much from this. Mainly did it for my own confidence and to get some professional feedback. This contest is relatively small compared to some of the other ones I’ve seen and since I’m not trying to drop a crazy amount of money doing as many contests as possible I figured this would be a good place to start and see where I’m at.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Appreciate it bro. :salute: First script. I wrote the first draft of a script in college about 8 years ago that won a student contest (Think my competition was like 10 other scripts lol) but never did anything with it after that. They always say your first script is your worst script so I’m not expecting much from this. Mainly did it for my own confidence and to get some professional feedback. This contest is relatively small compared to some of the other ones I’ve seen and since I’m not trying to drop a crazy amount of money doing as many contests as possible I figured this would be a good place to start and see where I’m at.

Your first script too? That's dope. What genre would you classify it?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your first script too? That's dope. What genre would you classify it?

Sci-fi action.

When I was younger I wanted to be a screenwriter. Wrote the first draft for a script for a class I took in college. It got good feedback and I won a small student contest as I said but after that I did nothing with it. Started working full time and I stopped pursuing the writing. My excuse was always that I didn’t have time to do it and it was next to impossible to make a career out of it anyway

Fast forward eight years and I have a moment where I realize I’m almost 30, still at the same job that I like but don’t love and I’ve never really pursued anything I was truly passionate about aside from a music
Blog I did a few years back. Ended up feeling inspired to write something and three months later I finished the script. Felt great after finishing it while also feeling mad at myself for waiting so long to pursue screenwriting again. I kept using the no time excuse without realizing it was just that, an excuse. If you’re passionate about something you’ll make the time for it. Now I ain’t gonna do anything drastic like quit my job for this lol, but the experience taught me I can manage working full time while doing screenwriting on the side. Where I’m at now is I’m gonna keep writing scripts, honing my craft. At the very least I’ll have a fun hobby to pursue and get my creative juices flowing with it

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
What app/software y’all using to write y’all scripts??

And what books did y’all use to help y’all with the format?

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Sci-fi action.

When I was younger I wanted to be a screenwriter. Wrote the first draft for a script for a class I took in college. It got good feedback and I won a small student contest as I said but after that I did nothing with it. Started working full time and I stopped pursuing the writing. My excuse was always that I didn’t have time to do it and it was next to impossible to make a career out of it anyway

Fast forward eight years and I have a moment where I realize I’m almost 30, still at the same job that I like but don’t love and I’ve never really pursued anything I was truly passionate about aside from a music
Blog I did a few years back. Ended up feeling inspired to write something and three months later I finished the script. Felt great after finishing it while also feeling mad at myself for waiting so long to pursue screenwriting again. I kept using the no time excuse without realizing it was just that, an excuse. If you’re passionate about something you’ll make the time for it. Now I ain’t gonna do anything drastic like quit my job for this lol, but the experience taught me I can manage working full time while doing screenwriting on the side. Where I’m at now is I’m gonna keep writing scripts, honing my craft. At the very least I’ll have a fun hobby to pursue and get my creative juices flowing with it

at the bolded, that's so true
Ok Sci-Fi action, man that should be pretty good/interesting

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What app/software y’all using to write y’all scripts??

And what books did y’all use to help y’all with the format?

I used writer duet
WriterDuet - Screenwriting software that will change your life

There's a free version and a pro version. Free version has everything you need as long as you're using Chrome. Favorite thing about it is there's an app version for your phone. Helps if you're on the go and have some ideas/dialogue you wanna add. I had an outdated version of Final Draft that was so old I wasn't able to upgrade it. Felt like writer duet was a much better option instead of dropping hundreds of bucks on Final Draft

Aside from an actual class I took, book that taught me everything about formatting was Screenwriting for Dummies lol. There are a lot of good books out there though, I think @Conz dropped a few good ones

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
I use Final Draft now, I used to use CeltX back in the day

A lot of the formatting is already done, but I also read tons of scripts to see what I can do to make it my own

I used writer duet
WriterDuet - Screenwriting software that will change your life

There's a free version and a pro version. Free version has everything you need as long as you're using Chrome. Favorite thing about it is there's an app version for your phone. Helps if you're on the go and have some ideas/dialogue you wanna add. I had an outdated version of Final Draft that was so old I wasn't able to upgrade it. Felt like writer duet was a much better option instead of dropping hundreds of bucks on Final Draft

Aside from an actual class I took, book that taught me everything about formatting was Screenwriting for Dummies lol. There are a lot of good books out there though, I think @Conz dropped a few good ones

Y’all the real mvp :salute:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
remind me later, i have a shytty old desk that i keep all my writing books on, I'll just take a pic of it

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
I still use Final Draft 8. Still works great for me. Although for a manuscript, I write those on Word since that is prose.

As far as improving as a screenwriter, it probably makes the most sense to read screenplays and just write. One day the light bulb just clicked and I was churning out material that got me meetings all over town. That only came after honing the craft. Books can help too, but if you're still not going to write, then it's kind of pointless.

Also, now I can't write a movie without an outline. No outline means I don't have a real story.