The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Alonge Hawes, the auteur behind red-hot web series Blue Collar Hustle, has won a prestigious Award Of Recognition from the IndieFEST Film Awards. Furthering A winning streak for the series as it continues to dominate the independent festival circuit.

The IndieFEST Film Awards recognizes film, television, videography and new media professionals who demonstrate exceptional achievement in craft and creativity, and those who produce standout entertainment or contribute to profound social change. Entries are judged by highly qualified professionals in the film and television industry.

In winning an IndieFEST Film Award, Blue Collar Hustle joins the ranks of other high-profile winners of this internationally respected award including Liam Neeson as the narrator of Love Thy Nature, A PathAppears Documentary featuring George Clooney and Blake Lively, Radical Grace executive produced by Susan Sarandon, David and Goliath by Leon Lee, and Touched with Fire starring Katie Holmes. Rick Prickett, who chairs The IndieFEST Film Awards, had this to say about the latest winners, “The IndieFEST is not an easy award to win. Entries are received from around the world from powerhouse companies to remarkable new talent. The IndieFEST helps set the standard for craft and creativity. The judges were pleased with the exceptionally high quality of entries. The goal of The IndieFEST Film Awards is to help winners achieve the recognition they deserve.”

Blue Collar Hustle has garnered several awards and accolades since its first season premiered on Youtube in February of 2017. Not only did early critical acclaim lead to the series being picked up and distributed by popular streaming services such as Seeka.TV and KweliTV, Hawes and the cast & crew have been honored several prestigious awards, including Best Web Series by the Global Film Festival Awards, The South Film And Arts Academy Festival, and the Calcutta International Film Festival. The series also picked up the prize for Best Web/New Media from the Cult Critic Movie Awards. In addition, Hawes himself was named Best Actor by the Virgin Spring Cinefest, and Quentin Williams, who co-stars as Quan Banneker, was honored with the Platinum Award for Best Actor by the LA Shorts Awards.

Blue Collar Hustle is expected to return for a second season via Seeka.TV at some point in 2018.

BLUE COLLAR HUSTLE WINS AT INDIEFEST FILM AWARDS

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Any advice on moving locals? I'm currently in upstate NY and I'm thinking about moving to LA. Can I make it in NY (A silly Q, I know, but I don't know)? I kinda just want to do TV screenwriting more than movies, I guess.

I just want any advice before I make a move I guess. I got some show ideas/scripts on deck, I'm still young - I think? - and I just want to hit the ground running. Guess I need some guidance?

Look up agents who work with writers in a similar genre and send samples of ya shyt

Or

Try to finagle a reader or writer assistant job, regardless, you gotta put ya neck out there and reach out to people, this aint a application type of industry

But definitely watch interview/podcasts of people currently working

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for the heads up :salute:

My screenplay needs tidying up. I might take the plunge once I'm done with these pitches.:leon:

No problem.

Breh, do you think it's feasible to write an entire screenplay with zero research in a week? I been working pretty slow lately...I feel like I get sucked in doing research and then when it comes down to it, I write like 2 pages a day and I keep rewriting

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
No problem.

Breh, do you think it's feasible to write an entire screenplay with zero research in a week? I been working pretty slow lately...I feel like I get sucked in doing research and then when it comes down to it, I write like 2 pages a day and I keep rewriting

shyt - it took Stallone a few days to write the first draft of Rocky.:manny:

I lowkey love the research part, though - I always find myself getting drawn into a rabbit hole, which - I agree can chew up time - but I feel like it also adds more depth to what I'm writing. I go through those periods too, but when I get going I've lost whole weekends before.:mjcry:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Don't know how connected this lady is, but if you're not white, give her a shout

@PlayerNinety_Nine @True Blue Moon @Ziggiy @General Mills @Drew Wonder @steadyrighteous

Good looks bruh. I finished the second draft, hoping to have it ready by the end of March, there’s a competition I want to submit it too but I’ll definitely reach out to this woman. Also I’m sure most of y’all know this but before you start sending your script around make sure you get it registered with the WGA

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No problem.

Depends on how detailed your treatment is. My method is basically make the treatment as thorough as possible (I’m talking about each paragraph representing a scene) then when you do the first draft just write the whole thing out without constantly going back and rewriting it. Just get everything out. When you’re done you’re gonna read the first draft and be like “damn this is trash” lol but you’ll at least have all your ideas out. The structuring and fine tuning comes in the second draft.

Not saying this is the tried and true method and obviously it’s whatever you’re comfortable with but doing that helped me get through the first and second draft relatively quickly. I feel like if I just went into the first draft making things up as I went along I would never finish

Conz

Superstar
Daps
have a call setup with a UTA agent to discuss... why my screenplay isn't ready!

We did it boys, we bout to get official rejection! no more of this internet nitpickery. we goin straight to the top!

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Did you send in your stuff to an agent? Did they find you?
Sent my stuff to someone I know who in turn sent it to her agent. This is a "you have to know somebody" situation you hear so much about, but the lady I know already told me the agent didn't think it was "there yet." She wants to talk though :yeshrug:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Man I got mad ideas in my head about a film. Some dope stuff, I just have the issue of story telling and fleshing out a script

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Man I got mad ideas in my head about a film. Some dope stuff, I just have the issue of story telling and fleshing out a script
use the Blake Snyder Beath Sheet. no one really respects that anymore, but i still think it's a really good skeleton to work off. you can nail down the outline of the story with it, then tweek it up so it doesn't look like you used said beat sheet to a T.

Daps
What books y'all recommend again for TV writing? I just got some money, I want to invest in some books for sure.