The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
these are the books I have (disregard the dumbass stickers - it's an old out of operation desk so it's basically tattooed with any sticker I could find)

IfjLVDg.jpg

uWyCyg2.jpg
(the unlabled ones are a little book called "Writing the Pilot" and then the other 2 are little books of tv scripts i got with DVDs)

szOqqP4.jpg

not saying all of these are mandatory or even good, but I've read them all for the most part. Scriptshadow (who everyone seems to hate) posts some good articles every Thursday and I've read a few books on a Kindle. Also the blacklist "go into the story" blog has a ton of shyt.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I gotta give a shoutout to @satireprod I read his pilot script over the weekend and it's DOPE. Great characters, flows well and in my humble opinion is TV-ready. Just from reading that and seeing what some of ya'll are doing in this thread, we've got some serious talent on the Coli.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
So I gotta give a shoutout to @satireprod I read his pilot script over the weekend and it's DOPE. Great characters, flows well and in my humble opinion is TV-ready. Just from reading that and seeing what some of ya'll are doing in this thread, we've got some serious talent on the Coli.

Man that's high praise. Appreciate it.
Don't sleep bruh, your sci-fi screenplay has box office potential, it's DEEP. A lot of levels to the storyline. The imagery was vivid.
And yeah it seems like there are a lot of talented people on here.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Man that's high praise. Appreciate it.
Don't sleep bruh, your sci-fi screenplay has box office potential, it's DEEP. A lot of levels to the storyline. The imagery was vivid.
And yeah it seems like there are a lot of talented people on here.
if you want some eyes, I'll peep the pilot. Been trying to crack an idea, so I've been looking to read some spec/establushed pilot scripts. i know I've promised reads here before and never come through. Aplogize for that, but they're all so deep in the thread now I don't even know where to look.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
if you want some eyes, I'll peep the pilot. Been trying to crack an idea, so I've been looking to read some spec/establushed pilot scripts. i know I've promised reads here before and never come through. Aplogize for that, but they're all so deep in the thread now I don't even know where to look.

No doubt bruh, I'm down. @Drew Wonder and I read each other's script and gave feedback/notes. I think it was really helpful.
What genre are you trying to write in TV?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
No doubt bruh, I'm down. @Drew Wonder and I read each other's script and gave feedback/notes. I think it was really helpful.
What genre are you trying to write in TV?
all i do is comedy. I've written a bunch of shyt, specs, pilots... but i was actually told point blank by an agent at UTA to write another pilot. probably doesn't mean dikk, but I'm trying to think of some outside the box ideas. that's not usually my style, i like "character driven" shyt in mundane settings, but i don't think i can go that route this time.

I mean, i basically wrote a pilot in my head already that's set at a beachclub. I know that's boring on the service, but i got the story in like 5 minutes. i just operate on that level, not on the "So there's this Space Wizard who wants to ressurect Jesus Christ, right?" bizarre tip

I had what I thought was a brilliant idea of a workplace comedy set in heaven that centered on St. Peter called "A Better Place" and as I was outlining it, "The Good Place" premiered. So not only would it be looked at as king of a ripoff, the title implies I think I'm better than them... and I think that title is perfect so I just abandoned that.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Conz @satireprod How would y’all feel about a separate thread focused solely on script feedback? I was thinking it could be similar to the Coli Film Club. Each week one person sends their script to a few posters via PM and gets feedback in the thread. We could even include directions and links for WGA registration and copyrighting just to be safe. I was thinking of doing the thread just wasn’t sure how many people here would truly have the time or desire to read a full length script. But I figure if we gave people a week it could work

Conz

Superstar
Daps
@Conz @satireprod How would y’all feel about a separate thread focused solely on script feedback? I was thinking it could be similar to the Coli Film Club. Each week one person sends their script to a few posters via PM and gets feedback in the thread. We could even include directions and links for WGA registration and copyrighting just to be safe. I was thinking of doing the thread just wasn’t sure how many people here would truly have the time or desire to read a full length script. But I figure if we gave people a week it could work
that's fine, but i can't promise i'm gonna start reading 100 page screenplays and giving notes or anything. I like to nitpick and pretend i know what the hell i'm talking about when i do that, but it's really time consuming. I personally don't even have anything new that needs notes at the moment, but like i said, I'll read a pilot (sub 40 page) script right now if anyone wants to send it. Just keep pestering me if I don't do it right away

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's fine, but i can't promise i'm gonna start reading 100 page screenplays and giving notes or anything. I like to nitpick and pretend i know what the hell i'm talking about when i do that, but it's really time consuming. I personally don't even have anything new that needs notes at the moment, but like i said, I'll read a pilot (sub 40 page) script right now if anyone wants to send it. Just keep pestering me if I don't do it right away

Yeah I feel you on that. It would be something where people volunteer. I figured if each person got at least 2 people willing to read and give feedback under the condition that the person whose script was selected would do the same it would be enough

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
all i do is comedy. I've written a bunch of shyt, specs, pilots... but i was actually told point blank by an agent at UTA to write another pilot. probably doesn't mean dikk, but I'm trying to think of some outside the box ideas. that's not usually my style, i like "character driven" shyt in mundane settings, but i don't think i can go that route this time.

I mean, i basically wrote a pilot in my head already that's set at a beachclub. I know that's boring on the service, but i got the story in like 5 minutes. i just operate on that level, not on the "So there's this Space Wizard who wants to ressurect Jesus Christ, right?" bizarre tip

I had what I thought was a brilliant idea of a workplace comedy set in heaven that centered on St. Peter called "A Better Place" and as I was outlining it, "The Good Place" premiered. So not only would it be looked at as king of a ripoff, the title implies I think I'm better than them... and I think that title is perfect so I just abandoned that.

Oh ok that script at beachclub could work...as writers we're selling our perspective that either people have never seen or that people really relate to but the story/audience hasn't been given enough attention so your twist could definitely work...could be greatness, gotta get on it fam

The script that @Drew Wonder read was a legal drama/political thriller that was 60 pages so I don't know how you feel about that, as far as reading it. I'm actually writing a comedy pilot that I should be able to finish in the next month that I was going to send to Drew and others for their feedback

Sidenote @Conz one day you have to tell the full story of how you got the UTA connection, if I haven't said it before that's huge fam.

Last edited:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Oh ok that script at beachclub could work...as writers we're selling our perspective that either people have never seen or that people really relate to but the story/audience hasn't been given enough attention so your twist could definitely work...could be greatness, gotta get on it fam

The script that @Drew Wonder read was a legal drama/political thriller that was 60 pages so I don't know how you feel about that, as far as reading it. I'm actually writing a comedy pilot that I should be able to finish in the next month that I was going to send to Drew and others for their feedback

literally the only thing i can possibly think that a "workplace comedy at a run down beachclub" has going for it is... "well, there haven't been many shows that have made it to air which take place at a beachclub." SOLD!!! All i could think of was that season of Saved by the Bell with Leah Remini

there would obviously be more to it than that, but "it takes place on a beachclub" is the main crux of it if i had to boil it down to a few word summary. Truly groundbreaking stuff.

I've literally never watched a legal drama in my life, so maybe I'm not the best judge of that (no pun) but i could always just give my opinion on the story and if it keep my interest as a "comedy" guy

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
literally the only thing i can possibly think that a "workplace comedy at a run down beachclub" has going for it is... "well, there haven't been many shows that have made it to air which take place at a beachclub." SOLD!!! All i could think of was that season of Saved by the Bell with Leah Remini

there would obviously be more to it than that, but "it takes place on a beachclub" is the main crux of it if i had to boil it down to a few word summary. Truly groundbreaking stuff.

I've literally never watched a legal drama in my life, so maybe I'm not the best judge of that (no pun) but i could always just give my opinion on the story and if it keep my interest as a "comedy" guy

:russ:I remember that season on the beach with her slim self lol
And you've never watched any legal drama in your Life? Is it that those don't interest you at all or...:ohhh: That's actually really interesting that you haven't, so maybe you could read it to at least to see if it has commercial marketability or appeal, like if you think there would be an audience for it.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
@Conz , I feel your pain about seeing your idea Already on TV, except I had my pilot done and spent a year on it. :mjcry:

Damn, non-creative people don't understand the feels someone has after that happens
Non-creative " :yeshrug::manny::hubie:Just come up with another great idea"

Creative who spent long nights on a project "Just like that huh":martin::beli::what::dwillhuh::gucci::francis::mjcry:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
:russ:I remember that season on the beach with her slim self lol
And you've never watched any legal drama in your Life? Is it that those don't interest you at all or...:ohhh: That's actually really interesting that you haven't, so maybe you could read it to at least to see if it has commercial marketability or appeal, like if you think there would be an audience for it.
honestly, I've literally never watched a police/medical/legal network drama in my entire life. I'm talking cbs,nbc,fox,abc. they all look exactly the same, and they don't interest me in the slightest. the only "legal based" anything I can even think of that I love is "My Cousin Vinny," and I'm only citing that b/c it takes place mostly in a courtroom.

shyt, i can probably name all the network dramas I've watched in my lifetime on 2 hands, and they're all "LOST-ish" type shows or the occasional superhero.

for someone who pretends to write, and should be open to all genres, i barely watch anything.