The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
yo, anyone in here think they're funny?

i just realized I have an invite code for this Pitch - A Comedy Writing App pretty sure that's the only way they're letting new people in at the moment. they do a pay topic basically every weekday. you get a joke picked, they send you $10-20... usually 10, but it's still basically free money.

I'll send the first person who wants it the invite code later... one stipulation though, i may ask you to vote for my shytty jokes sometimes, but i'll gladly reciprocate.

it's pretty addicting, and there's actual money on the line. Not bragging but I've actually made really solid side money off this app since last February. the shyt adds up.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Interesting :ohhh:

I just started pitching the graphic novel I've been working on, this week. I'll have to look into it.

The only script I have right now film wise, wouldn't be any good for Disney :skip:

Only script I have is a triad drama and another one is about my own experiences with my dad

I'm gonna have to think of something :francis:

@General Mills You'd be good for this too breh

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished the First Draft! :blessed:Not satisfied with it and it’s gonna take a lot of rewrites but getting that First Draft monkey off my back feels good. If anyone’s interested in taking a look and giving feedback, DM me. A little excerpt.

cy42BA.jpg

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
yo, anyone in here think they're funny?

i just realized I have an invite code for this Pitch - A Comedy Writing App pretty sure that's the only way they're letting new people in at the moment. they do a pay topic basically every weekday. you get a joke picked, they send you $10-20... usually 10, but it's still basically free money.

I'll send the first person who wants it the invite code later... one stipulation though, i may ask you to vote for my shytty jokes sometimes, but i'll gladly reciprocate.

it's pretty addicting, and there's actual money on the line. Not bragging but I've actually made really solid side money off this app since last February. the shyt adds up.

If no one took you up on this, I'd be interested.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm realizing that if you wanna get some feedback on your script from friends, the best thing to do is invite them over for a table read.

Me: Hey, you mind reading my 100+ page script?
Them: :what:

Me: Hey, wanna act out a movie?
Them: :gladbron:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Had no idea this thread existed :dead: i work in film and chill/talk with the writers(and actors who write) daily on set about writing

If any brehs got any questions yall want me to ask em let me know :manny: aint shyt else to do on set but talk. Its a major network show so they do have insight on dealing with the big wigs and how to have the most control over your work.

they do write kind of differently on this show than most shows (constantly updating stuff based on current events, kinda like south park but not as intense)

Writing one feature and one episodic joint myself right now

Last edited:
Daps
Any advice on moving locals? I'm currently in upstate NY and I'm thinking about moving to LA. Can I make it in NY (A silly Q, I know, but I don't know)? I kinda just want to do TV screenwriting more than movies, I guess.

I just want any advice before I make a move I guess. I got some show ideas/scripts on deck, I'm still young - I think? - and I just want to hit the ground running. Guess I need some guidance?

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Haven't vented in here for a minute. Might as well
VY2wmdR.png

People complain about tropes, complain about "same old same", complain about cliches and formulaic shows, movies etc.

You write something, people read it, say it's good, but when they give you notes and you really dig through them and skip what they're saying and try to get to the meat of what they actually mean, what you figure out is...

They're basically saying "Where are the tropes? There's a formula for how things are done, and you've managed to bypass a few of them, you should consider putting them in!"

:patrice:

Sometimes it feels like as much as people say they want new stuff, different stuff, what they actually want it something they already know wrapped in the clothes of something different. Even people who should know better, insiders, people in the business etc. They say they want different shyt but what they want is a story they've already read but with characters with new names.

:snoop:

I'm tired of writing
VY2wmdR.png

This article broke it down for me. People are comfortable with what’s fimiliar to them:yeshrug:

“Familiar fare requires less mental energy to process, and when something is easy to think about, we tend to consider it good”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/379862/