The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey, so some of you I had sent a pilot to a tv show I was writing. I decided to write two shorts that might be something filmable. I think with the social media age and stuff, a way to get recognized is making shorter content of different varieties for not only practice but to build your portfolio. If any of you want to take a look I've linked them below. They are all short (less than 15 pages). If you have any feedback, please shoot.

and

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Hey, so some of you I had sent a pilot to a tv show I was writing. I decided to write two shorts that might be something filmable. I think with the social media age and stuff, a way to get recognized is making shorter content of different varieties for not only practice but to build your portfolio. If any of you want to take a look I've linked them below. They are all short (less than 15 pages). If you have any feedback, please shoot.

and

Good shyt breh. Repped

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
So for the last 7 days I've been working as 1st AD on a short film. Cool set, cool people. The film is about a girl who snaps and has multiple split personalities. The working title was Personalities. When I first heart that I was like "that might be the worst title I've heard:russ:" of course I didn't say anything cause I like my job.
So after wrapping up production yesterday I was told the title would most likely be Split.

:dead:

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Superstar
Daps
sorkins a rambling prick harder to follow than Dave Meltzer for anyone looking to take his class btw. its frustrating at times but once you get used to him it gets better
i posted my take on the exercise on their board which is a big step for me. but id like some of the brehs to read it if theyre open to it :salute:

Last edited:

Conz

Superstar
Daps

and

remind me to read this, but i just want to give you a heads up... on the surface just skimming they both look overwritten. less is more, man. there are a lot of blocks of text. it's a day 1 type note, but try to keep that shyt under 3 lines. and try to not write many, if any monologue type chunks of dialogue.

all that said, I'll read em soon, and i may very well be wrong.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
remind me to read this, but i just want to give you a heads up... on the surface just skimming they both look overwritten. less is more, man. there are a lot of blocks of text. it's a day 1 type note, but try to keep that shyt under 3 lines. and try to not write many, if any monologue type chunks of dialogue.

all that said, I'll read em soon, and i may very well be wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I've always overwritten which kills me when trying to meet page number limits. Yeah looking forward to your feedback when you're done reading.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Things I never want to see in short films

*Hospital scenes - short films are mostly low budget and unless you have budget you are gonna shoot the scene with all white everything and few DPs making short films are good enough for that

*Children under 16 - most children are shyt actors and won't find great kids unless you audition over 1000 kids and most short films don't do that

*Death in drama shorts - Unless you are making a short film that is 40 mins+ you most likely won't be able to resolve it in a good way.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
9 pages done with my Avatar spec. Not sure how many pages an animation show is, so I'll just keep it short like a live action.

Finished a short scene earlier for my friend's project. I'll post it on here, as well as the previous one, as soon as I feel it's ready.

Need as much feedback from fellow writers.