The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
All right, I have the PDF file. Glad to see it's laid out properly. Turned out to be 7 pages. Do I use a file sharing site to upload it so you guys can read it?

I'd appreciate it if someone can check it out and give me feedback. Would be the first time I get notes from script writers. :salute:
Google drive

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Gotta get back in here with you cats. Trying to get back into writing since I haven't written anything but lines of dialogue here and there lately while touching up older stuff. I've got an idea for an action movie or tv show that I'm trying to really mash out. Got the hook for it, just need to get to it.

Also @steadyrighteous I may need you to read something i wrote breh. It won a contest and all that jazz BUT looking at what you're saying about dialogue, you got me thinking:russ:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Gotta get back in here with you cats. Trying to get back into writing since I haven't written anything but lines of dialogue here and there lately while touching up older stuff. I've got an idea for an action movie or tv show that I'm trying to really mash out. Got the hook for it, just need to get to it.

Also @steadyrighteous I may need you to read something i wrote breh. It won a contest and all that jazz BUT looking at what you're saying about dialogue, you got me thinking:russ:

Man, at least you won a contest lol. That means it at least had to be good to somebody :russ:

We're just in here passing on things we're learning and keeping each other a little motivated.

I think about writing way more than I actually write. I can get into a groove of writing a few hours a night for 2 weeks, then I fall of and stop writing for 2 months.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
I went into "cray mode" this week and wrote about 6 or 7 different pitches/stories. I have the characters set on 3 of them but for now i'm going to focus on the one I feel like has the best potential.

Also I got a Selina Kyle comic pitch I want to send to DC. I think it's is a great idea and i'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before. I've been sitting on it for years though since I did write a little bit of the script. I remember I shared the idea on Reddit too for feedback:snoop: and they were all like :gladbron: good thing no one turned it in :whew: Might as well pull the trigger and see what happens :manny:

I have my Logan/Wolverine scene uploaded. I'd appreciate if some head(s) can give me feedback.

PM?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I went into "cray mode" this week and wrote about 6 or 7 different pitches/stories. I have the characters set on 3 of them but for now i'm going to focus on the one I feel like has the best potential.

Also I got a Selina Kyle comic pitch I want to send to DC. I think it's is a great idea and i'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before. I've been sitting on it for years though since I did write a little bit of the script. Might as well pull the trigger and see what happens :manny:

PM?
I'll send it in a few. It should be a quick read. Thanks, man. :salute:

Troublesome

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Spent the past 2 days finishing my episode script. Finished earlier this morning. My creative juices kept flowing after I was done and now I can't sleep. :francis:

Do you recommend any resources to check if your trying to get started as a screenwriter? Im trying to push my girl into writing. She has talent, but doesn't write much. I think she would spend more time writing if she had something to help guide her.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Do you recommend any resources to check if your trying to get started as a screenwriter? Im trying to push my girl into writing. She has talent, but doesn't write much. I think she would spend more time writing if she had something to help guide her.
This thread will help.

Obviously reading scripts is a must. Google "simply scripts" and eat. I think it's simplyscripts.com

Also google "screenwriting terms" if she wants to go further. That way she will know what industry words mean.

The rest is on her.

Troublesome

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This thread will help.

Obviously reading scripts is a must. Google "simply scripts" and eat. I think it's simplyscripts.com

Also google "screenwriting terms" if she wants to go further. That way she will know what industry words mean.

The rest is on her.
I appreciate the info.:salute:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
What's the verdict on using names for characters when they haven't been properly introduced by a real name?

Like I have multiple dialogue with RANDOM MAN labeled as his character, but later his name is dropped and I start using DANNY.

Do I keep it like that? Or do I change them all to Danny?

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's the verdict on using names for characters when they haven't been properly introduced by a real name?

Like I have multiple dialogue with RANDOM MAN labeled as his character, but later his name is dropped and I start using DANNY.

Do I keep it like that? Or do I change them all to Danny?

Generally name people when they first appear in the script unless you have a specific reason not to, ie don't want to reveal their identity until later. In those cases use some sort of descriptor so the reader can picture the person ex. Fat Man, Goatee etc.