The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
This question is gonna sound real Social Media-ry and PC lol, but just go with me for a second, and try to answer strictly as brehs who write and/or are into it:

How do you describe a "girl" in a script? Not physically, I mean literally gender wise?

It's very easy to describe a teenager as a teenager, a woman anywhere above like 30 as a woman, or anybody above 45 as an older or old woman, but I'm literally taking about between 20-30.

As in:

"He sees a GIRL across the room, ordering a drink at the bar"

Girl? Young Woman? (I don't know, that sounds weird and formal, like some Charles dikkens shyt, especially in a comedy script)

To me it's always been:
Boys & Girls
Guys & Girls
Men & Women
Ladies & Gentleman

I'm 100% overthinking this, but I'd rather post it and get a couple answers than have it spinning in my head for a day lol

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
This question is gonna sound real Social Media-ry and PC lol, but just go with me for a second, and try to answer strictly as brehs who write and/or are into it:

How do you describe a "girl" in a script? Not physically, I mean literally gender wise?

It's very easy to describe a teenager as a teenager, a woman anywhere above like 30 as a woman, or anybody above 45 as an older or old woman, but I'm literally taking about between 20-30.

As in:

Girl? Young Woman? (I don't know, that sounds weird and formal, like some Charles dikkens shyt, especially in a comedy script)

To me it's always been:
Boys & Girls
Guys & Girls
Men & Women
Ladies & Gentleman

I'm 100% overthinking this, but I'd rather post it and get a couple answers than have it spinning in my head for a day lol
You're definitely going overthinking it. :heh:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
You're definitely going overthinking it. :heh:

:russ:

100%, I know I am, and it never occurred to me until I sent my script to someone and she wrote "GIRL? What is she a child?" even though the script very quickly goes on to describe her fully once we know who she is, including her age (20s)

It didn't even piss me off, it just made me think.

And I'd rather ask y'all than ask her to clarify, because I know exactly what kinda Twitter-esque BS I'll get in response.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
:russ:

100%, I know I am, and it never occurred to me until I sent my script to someone and she wrote "GIRL? What is she a child?" even though the script very quickly goes on to describe her fully once we know who she is, including her age (20s)

It didn't even piss me off, it just made me think.

And I'd rather ask y'all thank ask her to clarify, because I know exactly what kinda Twitter-esque BS I'll get in response.

I just use woman or girl (usually "teenage" or "preteen" before). For a child, well, I haven't wrote anything with a kid before, but if we're getting PC, I'll probably use "female child."

Seems like the chick was being too picky, or a dumbass since you described the character ASAP.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I haven't done shyt in like 15 days. I was re-working my pilot. My OG didn't have an exact plot for the episode, so now I have one. I just have to outline it to go with some shyt I'm using from the OG.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA

As in:

To me it's always been:
Boys & Girls
Guys & Girls
Men & Women
Ladies & Gentleman

young lady

Daps
Dropping a post here because this is my passion and I'm coming back to read and absorb all of this. I'm currently looking at a ton of stuff, I'll drop it here and if anyone has advice for me...thank you.

UCLA's extension program for Screenwriting?
Moving to Los Angeles (currently on the East Coast)
I just want to write screenplay - more dramas than comedy, and I have an idea for an anime -- but I have SOME work with a camera

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
I’m looking to hire a screenwriter for a project. It’s a short drama series and I need it to be 4-5 10 minute episodes.

If you’re interested send me some of your work and those who I think are up to the task will be given the run down on the specifics of what I need. You’ll send the first episode to me and If I choose your work I’ll pay pal you $250 upfront to finish the other episodes and $250 once you’re done. Those who weren’t chosen but sent in legitimate work will be compensated as well. $50 if there’s 3 or less participants, $25 a person if there’s 4 or more. I’m sending this out to several students/freelancers so if you want in you shouldn’t tarry.

Peace, brehs and brehettes.