The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Daps
Still trying to tackle my first feature. I keep changing the story setting, so indecisive about the world this story should take place in. :mjcry:

I'll get a first draft done before summers out tho, even if it kills me:noah:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I went to film school, the running joke was "We paid $50k for friendship" lol.

Which film school was this? Because in my area there are some very good ones that some famous actors actually went to.

And what most people don't realize when talking negatively about film schools is that:

1. Its about gaining the experience/education.
2. Again networking.
3. Building a portfolio.

Even when you bachelors its not that its worthless, its just that you have to show that you know what you're doing... Most people don't see that. Same thing with becoming a teacher. Not talking about you, but just stating in general.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which film school was this? Because in my area there are some very good ones that some famous actors actually went to.

And what most people don't realize when talking negatively about film schools is that:

2. Again networking.
3. Building a portfolio.

Even when you bachelors its not that its worthless, its just that you have to show that you know what you're doing... Most people don't see that. Same thing with becoming a teacher. Not talking about you, but just stating in general.

There's no school for creativity. You either can create something interesting or you can't. Any type for school for art is a waste of money, you either have talent or you don't period.

Daps

2. Again networking.
3. Building a portfolio.

It was NYFA, it was a choice between doing this, or taking out an even bigger Loan and potentially going to Tisch. Decided a 1 year crash course would be better, fitting experience. The School has many flaws, but the one positive is that they put the camera in your hands day 1, access to loads of equipment, numerous projects to help build your craft etc

You meet tons of people, met my best friend, who in turn is my cinematographer.

I Knew what it was about, and tit was only the beginning of a looooonnnnggg journey.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
It was NYFA, it was a choice between doing this, or taking out an even bigger Loan and potentially going to Tisch. Decided a 1 year crash course would be better, fitting experience. The School has many flaws, but the one positive is that they put the camera in your hands day 1, access to loads of equipment, numerous projects to help build your craft etc
NYFA looks like a good school.:ehh:

But yeah bolded is what film schools is for. Getting a feel of how things works. The one in my area which is called Purchase in Westchester(dont live in Westchester though) has a rep of being quite.

You meet tons of people, met my best friend, who in turn is my cinematographer.

I Knew what it was about, and tit was only the beginning of a looooonnnnggg journey.
Like I said thats what its there for. Hell college in general...

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
There's no school for creativity. You either can create something interesting or you can't. Any type for school for art is a waste of money, you either have talent or you don't period.
You can learn a lot online and buy books on it. How you said, it's talent. Can't teach your vision. If one wants to learn how to be a great tool then probably.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
If I were to post my pilot on here would y'all take a look and give me feedback. I'd be super grateful. Especially since I want to cut about 20 pages but all the pieces are too integrated that I can't figure out what to cut.
How long would the series be? Like 22 or 45 minute episodes?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can learn a lot online and buy books on it. How you said, it's talent. Can't teach your vision. If one wants to learn how to be a great tool then probably.

People asked me where I learned how to write scripts, I said google, and they look at me stupid as fukk.

It's either you have creativity or not.

I could've sold my scripts by now, but I figured out the game so I didn't sell. I'm turning into novels and I'm going to cake of that, then make the movies myself.

fukk all this hollywood shyt waiting in line for a check, hustle your own shyt. What I look like listen to some talentless fakkit telling me what's good or what's not. Look at all the garbage that gets made, if there was any kind of standard for what's considered acceptable it wouldn't be so much trash out there. shyt is a sells job, somebody has to convince an investor to give them money to make the film, most investors don't give a shyt, they invest in multiple films in hopes of one turning a profit making up for the failures.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I were to post my pilot on here would y'all take a look and give me feedback. I'd be super grateful. Especially since I want to cut about 20 pages but all the pieces are too integrated that I can't figure out what to cut.

I hope you got your shyt protected, people steal shyt regardless because it takes so long to sue and most don't know how to go about it.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
People asked me where I learned how to write scripts, I said google, and they look at me stupid as fukk.

It's either you have creativity or not.

I could've sold my scripts by now, but I figured out the game so I didn't sell. I'm turning into novels and I'm going to cake of that, then make the movies myself.

fukk all this hollywood shyt waiting in line for a check, hustle your own shyt. What I look like listen to some talentless fakkit telling me what's good or what's not. Look at all the garbage that gets made, if there was any kind of standard for what's considered acceptable it wouldn't be so much trash out there. shyt is a sells job, somebody has to convince an investor to give them money to make the film, most investors don't give a shyt, they invest in multiple films in hopes of one turning a profit making up for the failures.
Pretty much like venture capitalist.

I don't wanna do books because it would take too long to turn a profit. I'm going to self-produce shorts for YouTube. Get some of that ad money plus once I produce a few, I'll group them and sell DVDs. I'll make a site for my unrated stuff since I doubt YouTube would allow nudity. Charge a small fee for 24 hour passes.