The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I need to get on that output method, right now I average 1 and a half a day and it's not cutting it for me.

Speaking of which I need to get into the habit of writing throughout the day instead of just night.
Dude I'm the same. I feel best when it's dark. i was going over the script today and it was the first time I did something in the day time.

Hell a few days ago was the first time I did something when dark was approaching.

Darkness is our ally :heh:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Anyone know of how to find a screenwriter to help me transcribe my novel into an original screenplay??? :patrice:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Hey brehs, so it looks like they're gonna offer me a job here, but I'm still conflicted. My main concern is how it'll affect my writing.

I usually write in the late night (was working night shift for 3 months until recently) and not day so today after I get out I'm gonna try it. I'm telling myself it doesn't matter the time I do write so maybe it'll help.

EDIT: looking back on my posts in this thread and I never really tried writing in the day. When I started this job at these hours I only worked less than a month on writing and I think I was only doing it on weekends.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Knocked out 3 1/2 pages in about 90 minutes. Gonna go over it another day, but I think they're good.

Feels good knowing I can do this shyt at any time. I just get in the zone and let loose. :whew:

Gonna take the job and hopefully I don't have to work there long. Got my mind completely wrapped around writing so I won't let this job's responsibilities hold me down.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Yo this freelancer.com website is the shyt!!! :takedat: I'm gonna hire someone this weekend to help me out hopefully I have enough money...

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If I only plan on doing TV scripts would I "need" some writer(s) to read it?

I've read plenty of scripts and what I'm writing looks exactly like a professional script (minus production ready scripts).

Im very protective and paranoid when it comes to others, especially writers, reading my stuff. It has nothing to do with criticism cause I can take it. It's more of me not wanting my ideas to be stolen from evil coward fukks.

Can I do it on my own? I'm constantly going back and rewriting shyt. I ask myself questions like, "will this work?", "This scene is perfect to lead into a commercial break," "this dialogue sounds way to much like me, I gotta change it." Etc

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

I've read plenty of scripts and what I'm writing looks exactly like a professional script (minus production ready scripts).

Im very protective and paranoid when it comes to others, especially writers, reading my stuff. It has nothing to do with criticism cause I can take it. It's more of me not wanting my ideas to be stolen from evil coward fukks.

Can I do it on my own? I'm constantly going back and rewriting shyt. I ask myself questions like, "will this work?", "This scene is perfect to lead into a commercial break," "this dialogue sounds way to much like me, I gotta change it." Etc

I think you need at least one person you can trust to read your shyt.

They don't specifically have to be a writer either. They just need to be smart, be a good critical thinker and up on TV.

So their notes/questions might not be technical, but if they say "How did we get from here to here?" or "Why is he saying that to her I thought he was like this?", you'll know the places where you might lose the actual audience.

:yeshrug:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
anyone here ever written a script
I'm writing my first one. I'm still on my synopsis. An espionage joint. After that I'll start on my first short film that I will write, direct, produce, and compose the film score for.

I did a film score and that's what made me want to do this.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps

Your attorney if you have one. Their career is logic and looking for discrepancies.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Anyone know of how to find a screenwriter to help me transcribe my novel into an original screenplay??? :patrice:
That's an original screenplay since it would be from your novel. Assuming it's been published, it would actually be an adapted screenplay.

Last edited:

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
I was watching Inside Man, my favorite movie, I always loved the dialog but I realize how beautiful it was shot and the nonlinear interviews between the heist.

I realized that a director and cinematographer are hand and hand.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think you need at least one person you can trust to read your shyt.

They don't specifically have to be a writer either. They just need to be smart, be a good critical thinker and up on TV.

So their notes/questions might not be technical, but if they say "How did we get from here to here?" or "Why is he saying that to her I thought he was like this?", you'll know the places where you might lose the actual audience.

:yeshrug:
Yea, my friend wants to read it and I trust him a lot. He ain't gonna sugarcoat shyt and watches a good amount of Tv shows; pretty much exactly what you wrote.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Finished my second ep. Took me 3 weeks to do it, but it wasn't an every day thing.

Still need to go over it.

There's a strong possibility my temp job is over and I won't be hired Thru the company. A little disappointed since they told me they were gonna set me up for it.

Maybe a blessing in disguise so I can focus on writing .