The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Hey guys, do comedy pilot shows really need acts?

Almost done with it, but there's none really. Just an intro to the show.

Single cam? Multi cam? Big 4 (CBS/ABC etc.)? Cable?

If it's for a network or a place with commercials, then yes, acts are a must.

Think of a show similar or a network you envisage your show being on, find a random script from that show/network online and see how it's formatted and copy it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Single cam? Multi cam? Big 4 (CBS/ABC etc.)? Cable?

If it's for a network or a place with commercials, then yes, acts are a must.

Think of a show similar or a network you envisage your show being on, find a random script from that show/network online and see how it's formatted and copy it.
Single cam for basic or premium cable. I do envision where a commercial will be after a scene, but I haven't done it for this show. When I do it I'm just gonna move or do another scene that will be perfect for a commercial break.

But I meant more for a story act. The pilot is just showing a normal day of people BSing and doing what they gotta do. There's no actual story going on (I.E. dude needs to do a presentation but his notes get lost. Struggling what to do but in the end he speaks from the heart).

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
I'm seriously toying with outlining an idea about a guy who falls in love with his clone, as an allegory for all the bullshyt that goes on these days with everyone trying to tell everyone else who they can love... it's topical and it touches on real life issues! tell me that's a terrible idea. stop me now.

i feel like it's a ridiculous, but fresh take on the romantic comedy with a little sci-fi for good measure. and no one can claim it's gay or incestual b/c it's unknown territory. no one's ever tried to woo their own clone. i can already picture about 5 funny ass scenes in my head.

and i know this would never stick and plays as just a punchline, but the title "Go fukk Yourself" makes me laugh.

Spoiler that, breh. Of course you still gotta do the work and write it, but that premise is too original and potentially hilarious to let anyone lurking take it.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Spoiler that, breh. Of course you still gotta do the work and write it, but that premise is too original and potentially hilarious to let anyone lurking take it.
eh you quoted it and fukked it up anyway :mjlol:

but seriously, just trying to think of more "out there" original ideas, b/c that's the type of shyt that will get you on all of these "lists." Black, Hit, Blood, who the fukk knows what else...

i'm talking to a screenwriting friend about an idea right now that is so goddamn ridiculous, but is making me laugh so much that a collabo might go down. the script would have to walk an insanely fine line to work.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
@steadyrighteous

What's the verdict on my reply 2 posts up? Is it fine? or do I need to find a plot, I guess that's what I can call it.

I mean, it would be hard to say without reading it, but by the end of the episode does it feel like everything that happened before it had a point or was leading to something?

You said they're just BSing and doing what they do, but if there are things that happen before the final act that you could take out and it wouldn't affect the story, what was the point of it/them?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I mean, it would be hard to say without reading it, but by the end of the episode does it feel like everything that happened before it had a point or was leading to something?

You said they're just BSing and doing what they do, but if there are things that happen before the final act that you could take out and it wouldn't affect the story, what was the point of it/them?
i haven't done my final scene yet, but I finished the main part of what is the final act. The closing will deal with it. But the ending really has to deal with all the characters gathering around to be formally introduced as a team.

Pretty much telling the audience, "hey, these are the people that will be entertaining you if you enjoy it."

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
i haven't done my final scene yet, but I finished the main part of what is the final act. The closing will deal with it. But the ending really has to deal with all the characters gathering around to be formally introduced as a team.

Pretty much telling the audience, "hey, these are the people that will be entertaining you if you enjoy it."

If while you're introducing the characters individually they make mention or know that there's a meeting at the end of the day, that may be enough.

It could be (this is terrible, but just to show you what I mean):

-------------

Homophobic Joe getting told he's being demoted from corporate to floor level because there are people who aren't comfortable with how homophobic he is.

Flamboyant Tim getting told he's being promoted.

Sarah the loose slut being moved because she's slept with every dude in her department.

Virginal Alice finally getting the job she's always wanted.

Main Guy Rico being told that he's getting his first shot at running a team and if he does it well he's on his way to VP level.

They meet, they're all different and decide they can't work together.

Rico's big speech tying the rag-tag team together.

-------------

I'm just using that as an example of how there's a loose "story" that ties it together so that the scenes we see before are necessary and make sense.

:yeshrug:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If while you're introducing the characters individually they make mention or know that there's a meeting at the end of the day, that may be enough.

It could be (this is terrible, but just to show you what I mean):

-------------

Homophobic Joe getting told he's being demoted from corporate to floor level because there are people who aren't comfortable with how homophobic he is.

Flamboyant Tim getting told he's being promoted.

Sarah the loose slut being moved because she's slept with every dude in her department.

Virginal Alice finally getting the job she's always wanted.

Main Guy Rico being told that he's getting his first shot at running a team and if he does it well he's on his way to VP level.

They meet, they're all different and decide they can't work together.

Rico's big speech tying the rag-tag team together.

-------------

I'm just using that as an example of how there's a loose "story" that ties it together so that the scenes we see before are necessary and make sense.

:yeshrug:
Got it, but my shyt ain't like that.

It kind of reminds me of the Office (American version) where there wasn't really a real plot going on.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I don't have writer's block, but if i had a co-writer with some initiative, I'd probably have about 40 scripts to my name by now.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
Pilot done! :blessed:

Just going over it and will do so 3 or more times.

It flows well. :obama:

I'm trying to live by "3 pages a day." If I can write 3 a day I'll feel good about it.

I need to get on that output method, right now I average 1 and a half a day and it's not cutting it for me.

Speaking of which I need to get into the habit of writing throughout the day instead of just night.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I need to get on that output method, right now I average 1 and a half a day and it's not cutting it for me.

Speaking of which I need to get into the habit of writing throughout the day instead of just night.

My most productive writing hours tend to be after 10pm.

I don't know why, it just is. Between 10pm and 2am I can knock out 5 pages that require very little re-writing.

My writing during the day is often my less inspired stuff that I can either trash or have to re-write heavily.