The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
and for all my whining, don't take what i said to the extent the person whose script i read recently did...

it was a "pilot" with no act breaks, and the characters were introduced like this:

In walks DARREN.

DARREN-black, tall, he loves to read books. He's an introvert who studied Mathematics in college and loves the show The X Files. He's the son of Carter, who worked in a carpenter's union. etc

it was a paragraph of shyt that would have been overwritten in a show bible, let alone a script. Not one thing you could actually see. it was just a list. I noted that and the person told me it was their choice to write that way and i was just being cocky and opinionated. :usure:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
and for all my whining, don't take what i said to the extent the person whose script i read recently did...

it was a "pilot" with no act breaks, and the characters were introduced like this:

In walks DARREN.

DARREN-black, tall, he loves to read books. He's an introvert who studied Mathematics in college and loves the show The X Files. He's the son of Carter, who worked in a carpenter's union. etc

it was a paragraph of shyt that would have been overwritten in a show bible, let alone a script. Not one thing you could actually see. it was just a list. I noted that and the person told me it was their choice to write that way and i was just being cocky and opinionated. :usure:

:martin:

Now that's just the wrong way to do it :russ:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Anyone know where I can find a screenwriter partner to help transform my novel into an original screenplay, there's alot of contests looking for good action stories. I figure I can send it out to see if I can draw interest.... I'm always looking to get more publicity for my shyt. You never know, I read people be selling their shyt for 7 figure s... had me like :wtf: you serious movie studios be shelling out that much bread?!

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Anyone know where I can find a screenwriter partner to help transform my novel into an original screenplay, there's alot of contests looking for good action stories. I figure I can send it out to see if I can draw interest.... I'm always looking to get more publicity for my shyt. You never know, I read people be selling their shyt for 7 figure s... had me like :wtf: you serious movie studios be shelling out that much bread?!

For well known writers, yeah :mjpls:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm seriously toying with outlining an idea about a guy who falls in love with his clone, as an allegory for all the bullshyt that goes on these days with everyone trying to tell everyone else who they can love... it's topical and it touches on real life issues! tell me that's a terrible idea. stop me now.

i feel like it's a ridiculous, but fresh take on the romantic comedy with a little sci-fi for good measure. and no one can claim it's gay or incestual b/c it's unknown territory. no one's ever tried to woo their own clone. i can already picture about 5 funny ass scenes in my head.

and i know this would never stick and plays as just a punchline, but the title "Go fukk Yourself" makes me laugh.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Your best bet would to promote your novel and get sells.

I'm turning my screenplays which are a trilogy into a novel now, because that's where the money is. If you already have a novel completed you should concentrate on marketing your book and generating sales which is something you can control. Hollywood is only interested in things with guaranteed fan bases, which means you would already be rich from your book sales before they even show interest of making it a film.

Being an author of a novel gets you more respect than being a screenwriter, because they whore themselves out, which devalues the job when in fact screenwriter's should have power for the simple fact film can't exist without them.

If your story is any good I'd convert it to a screenplay for free and even pitch it for you. Of course I expect equal compensation upon sale or an option.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Seriously thinking of quitting my job to focus on writing. I'm more committed to it, but maybe not as much as I should.

I'm not even fully employed; just a temp. Might hold off til August. Then just work retail part time when the holidays roll around.

my pilot is almost done. After that it's just going over it to see if it's good enough (doing this as I write it too). Then a bible and episode 2.

After that it's just the legal shyt and getting it out there :mjcry:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL

Or you can be J.K. Rowling status and get money from the books and movies at the same damn time if they decide to adapt your book into a movie.

Screenwriting is hard, Studios will most likely take your script and fukk it up then you'll receive the blame if the movie sucks

ManxOfxThexYear

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My muthafukkin self
Brehs!

I had no idea this thread existed. Anyways, I'm working on ideas for the rest of the screenplay I wrote for this cartoon I been working on. Last year I took a screenwriting class and it was taught by Matthew McDuffie, not a super famous dude, but he's has a few of scripts been made into movies and just finished shooting and directing the movie Burning Bodhi. When I took his class I pitched him this idea I had about a cartoon and he absolutely loved it. So for my final in that class I wrote the pilot episode and he was blown away with what I came up with. So I'm really deciding if I should really go full force with it and spend my time and see what I can come up with. I'm taking his advanced screenwriting class in the fall, so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

:blessed: