The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
8159586.gif
Thanks breh. I'm keeping at it. I just want to keep working on bigger and bigger stuff as the years progress. Working on Emmy nominated stuff say 5 years from now would be.:wow:

And good luck with your TV show. Coli fam doing it. :salute:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
:blessed:I'll be finishing mine by the end of the year (might even be this month)
^^^ Hows this going?

Also quick update, I ended up doing a large portion of episode 105 of Art of More's SFX, and contributed to the last 3 episodes as well. It feels good to have worked on a drama. Now I need to work on more and more, get some momentum going and make a name for myself. Thinking of moving to Toronto in the next 2 years. I love Montreal but Toronto's got more going on with the TV industry right now.

Though if the studio I'm at right now keeps getting good stuff to work on, then I'll be here!

Last edited:
Daps
Haven't visited this thread in a while. Been busy with writing/regular work. shyt was stale on my end business-wise but something may be in the works. Will be back in tomorrow to update my current goings-on as well as asking some opinions if you all are down to read a few scripts.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
^^^ Hows this going?

Also quick update, I ended up doing a large portion of episode 105 of Art of More's SFX, and contributed to the last 3 episodes as well. It feels good to have worked on a drama. Now I need to work on more and more, get some momentum going and make a name for myself. Thinking of moving to Toronto in the next 2 years. I love Montreal but Toronto's got more going on with the TV industry right now.

Though if the studio I'm at right now keeps getting good stuff to work on, then I'll be here!

:blessed: Make that move if you need to bro, I'd love to be in your position right now.

I actually finished it the week after I made that post. 110 pages in all. My close friend\filmmaking buddy thought it was dope and wants to put money behind it and get it funded, but obviously that'll take a while. I'm just happy it's actually finished. It's made me wanna go and finish this pilot for a TV show I was writing about earlier in the year.

But in the mean time, it's putting money behind the promotion. of this microbudget webseries we been shooting all year that drops on 4th.

:blessed: Been a pretty damned productive year.

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
:blessed: Make that move if you need to bro, I'd love to be in your position right now.

I actually finished it the week after I made that post. 110 pages in all. My close friend\filmmaking buddy thought it was dope and wants to put money behind it and get it funded, but obviously that'll take a while. I'm just happy it's actually finished. It's made me wanna go and finish this pilot for a TV show I was writing about earlier in the year.

But in the mean time, it's putting money behind the promotion. of this microbudget webseries we been shooting all year that drops on 4th.

:blessed: Been a pretty damned productive year.
That's sick man. You should link us that webseries when it drops. And congrats on finishing the screenplay.

Daps
So here's the deal-- a few years ago i signed an option agreement with 2 producers, one of which is a B level actor (you'd know him from various late 90's/early 2000's flicks). We had secured $1 million from a private investor (russian chick, got the money from her daddy), it was placed in an escrow LLC the day i signed the agreement. I got no money up front, it was a 12 month agreement, but was promised an initial sum of $30 grand upon the start of principal photography. Anyways, about six weeks out from pre-production, the 2 producers butted heads and one jumped off the project entirely. I was left stuck in an option agreement with only one producer who had my interest in hand, and the other just fukked off.

Fast forward 3 years-- the producer who i've kept in touch with and has been shopping the script around hollywood as best he can, was in reading for a part on a low-budget mob movie, which apparently the script he read for sucked. He pitched my script, the producer was open, he read it, and he loved it. Now we just need the money man's stamp of approval, and we can start the process of making a movie. I've been this close twice, with money in hand. Hopefully this is the time it pushes thru.....

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Trailer for a short film I Directed, shot in a couple days with a few friends:

Looking like ill be Directing my first Feature (micro budget) in Dec. as well, will get the confirmation from the producer today. Glad to see all the brehs on here making it happen in the industry, keeps me motivated...

Nice. Drop a link when the full short is up.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Just got done watching this documentary interviewing and following around showrunners. They talk about the art of showrunning and exactly what goes into it, how hard it can be, how long it can be, what you need to be willing to do, fight for, put up with etc. Talk about the creation process, writer's rooms...

Interesting watch for any writer brehs out there. I got mine on iTunes, but it's available on torrents for those who procure their entertainment that way.

IMDB Link: Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show (2014) - IMDb

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Hey guys I got a question about character introductions for a pilot or in general:

Should I give details about the character in the script?

I've read various pilot scripts that do it differently. One had a list of the characters traits and personalities before the script while others gave details in the scrip; some didn't even have it. I plan on doing a bible for the show which will include that, but for now since I'm a rookie I'd like to know what's "right."

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Hey guys I got a question about character introductions for a pilot or in general:

Should I give details about the character in the script?

I've read various pilot scripts that do it differently. One had a list of the characters traits and personalities before the script while others gave details in the scrip; some didn't even have it. I plan on doing a bible for the show which will include that, but for now since I'm a rookie I'd like to know what's "right."

I don't know what the "right" way to do it is because different people will tell you different things, but I always go back to The Wire and Simons' pilot script...

If the character is important, I describe him/her, but not always physically, sometimes it's their posture or attitude that can paint a picture in the reader's head.

"In walks Jenkins - a downbeat physically but upbeat mentally crackhead..."

And as for character traits/character breakdowns, if I have them, I put them at the end of the script.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I don't know what the "right" way to do it is because different people will tell you different things, but I always go back to The Wire and Simons' pilot script...

If the character is important, I describe him/her, but not always physically, sometimes it's their posture or attitude that can paint a picture in the reader's head.

"In walks Jenkins - a downbeat physically but upbeat mentally crackhead..."

And as for character traits/character breakdowns, if I have them, I put them at the end of the script.

I did it with some characters, but not all. Gonna have to go back and add to it since I'm sure I'm gonna have my pilot tossed around instead of the bible.

Also, I have a question about breaking up acts. I haven't even done that because there's nothing major happening in my pilot. All it is is a day in the life of people; like we're just introducing them. Should I just go back and find a decent part to break in act 2?

And is it necessary to have 3 acts in a TV show?