The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
John:
Yea, she said it was cool.
(a few beats)
I'm taking a cab.

If there's a slight pause, you can use (beat), but if it's like your example where John's changing the subject, then you can use (a few beats).

Or if you want to be a little more "imaginative", you can put something between the two pieces of dialogue to paint more of a picture.

I don't know what the context of the dialogue is, but if he's changing the subject because he wants to move past an awkward moment, you could try:

John:
Yeah, she said it was cool.

Peter looks a little dubious. John searches for a way to breeze through the awkward silence.

John (CONT):
I'm taking a cab.

Or, if it's not awkward and just a natural changing of the subject it could be:

John:

John looks up the street at the approaching traffic.

John (CONT):
I'm taking a cab.

It all depends on the context to the changing of the subject

Again, is this the right or the wrong way to do it? Probably wrong. But it's how I would (for what that's worth lol)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Having read a couple of screenplays, a lot of writers have their own style so you got more leeway than you think, but you should probably stick as closely to the "proposed" format as possible.

In my first screenplay I overused A BEAT so many times I thought it read retarded, but I never got any comment on it by people who've read it. Makes sense too because it makes a big deal whether the reader can see if you know how to pace a story or not.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
John:
Yea, she said it was cool.
(a few beats)
I'm taking a cab.

If there's a slight pause, you can use (beat), but if it's like your example where John's changing the subject, then you can use (a few beats).

Or if you want to be a little more "imaginative", you can put something between the two pieces of dialogue to paint more of a picture.

I don't know what the context of the dialogue is, but if he's changing the subject because he wants to move past an awkward moment, you could try:

John:

Peter looks a little dubious. John searches for a way to breeze through the awkward silence.

John (CONT):
I'm taking a cab.

Or, if it's not awkward and just a natural changing of the subject it could be:

John:

John looks up the street at the approaching traffic.

John (CONT):
I'm taking a cab.

It all depends on the context to the changing of the subject

Again, is this the right or the wrong way to do it? Probably wrong. But it's how I would (for what that's worth lol)

Having read a couple of screenplays, a lot of writers have their own style so you got more leeway than you think, but you should probably stick as closely to the "proposed" format as possible.

In my first screenplay I overused A BEAT so many times I thought it read retarded, but I never got any comment on it by people who've read it. Makes sense too because it makes a big deal whether the reader can see if you know how to pace a story or not.

So the way I had it is fine?

What's the "proper" way of using (then)?

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I've seen it used it a lot of scripts I read. 30 Rock, SCrubs, etc.

Threes no pause in the dialog so I don't use a beat.

A beat doesn't necessarily mean a literal pause. It implies a change of pace, like one would do in a conversation when changing the subject. If you've seen it in other screenplays, you can use it I guess, but for a non-accomplished writer I'd always suggest sticking to the rule book as much as possible.

Also, when in doubt, just break up the dialog with an ACTION.

JOHN:
Yea, she said it was cool.​

JOHN finishes his drink.

JOHN (CONT'D)
I'm taking a cab.​

A simple ACTION like that basically fills up the BEAT for you while also giving your scene a bit more life. But in the end it all depends on the pace you're going for and the best way to evoke that pace on paper.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Star Wars: Episode VIII will film in my backyard this spring and they are looking for crewmembers.

Gimme the job Rian :to: