The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
post-23155-Waterfall-skogafoss-Iceland-gi-M67R.gif

Iceland_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

My partner who works more on the production/directorial side of the game is Swedish.

Cool ass dude in his 40's, mad eclectic. Told me about going to rap battles in NYC back in the day with his Jamaican best friend :russ:

Dude has stories for days.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
finishing a script is like bringing a 9 home from the bar, and the next readthrough is like waking up to her the next morning and seeing a 6.

it's amazing how good it feels to finish a draft only to hate every other word of it next time you pick it up.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
finishing a script is like bringing a 9 home from the bar, and the next readthrough is like waking up to her the next morning and seeing a 6.

it's amazing how good it feels to finish a draft only to hate every other word of it next time you pick it up.

I almost prefer that second go-round, just because that's where I find the 'jazz' in the words (the notes you don't play being as important as the ones you do play, and all that)

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I almost prefer that second go-round, just because that's where I find the 'jazz' in the words (the notes you don't play being as important as the ones you do play, and all that)
for the record im not a major drinker so ive never had that big a discrepency, it just seems like an appropriate analogy.

i like it too, but then when im done going over that one and "loving" the new stuff i go back and realize "jesus, this is like 1% better than the previous shyt"

Also, sidenote - man, i cannot write "bad guys" and it's all b/c i don't enjoy them 99% of the time. for every great memorable antagonist, there are 9 shytty ones. i like all my characters to be redeemable and it's definitely to the detriment of my shyt. the psychotic badguy with bloodlust just doesn't work in the genre i like. im afraid to even attempt that kind of character as it would totally fukk the tone, but at the same time, my antagonists in the current script are so generic and shytty with a muddled plan and minimal impact on the story. they're basically the same as the tacked on love interest bullshyt i deem necessary b/c... what's a movie without a bullshyt tacked on love interest?

I also have a shadow "big bad" in there that never shows his face, which is my intent, but i know goddamn well the first schmuck (not you guys!) to read it is gonna say "Mehh i read a book once and i think you should have brought the big bad into the 3rd act to really hammer down the blah blah blah generic babble"

/rant

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So today I got some shytty news I ain't tryna deal with for a while and I decided that instead of wasting my afternoon, I needed to make a start at this writing shyt again.

And after two and a half hours, I'm now 9 pages into my first screenwriting exercise since 2012.:salute:

And it's so goddamn good too. :mjcry:

I mean, I kinda suck with the technical aspects like what to use for scene headings, or how to write actions (I always try to minimize it but I hate how that reads), but when it comes to dialogue shyt is so goddamn easy for me. That's the only advantage of sitting on shyt so long, the entire narrative has been fully tweaked before I even started. It's kinda funny too how I've had complete dialogues in my head for years but not until I started writing do I realize I've barely named anything. So most of my time writing this shyt was spent thinking about what to call this guy, what to call that guy, what's the planet gonna be called, there's a different time zone here, what word do they use for it, etc.

But goddamn if that opening isn't the best opening I've written yet. :wow:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Has anyone cracked the short?

Whats the secret sauce Brehs?

I'm not sure what you mean by "cracked the short" but I'm writing a short the will film next fall, I'm not sure if I'll direct it but I'll be directing two music videos this summer if everything works out

Conz

Superstar
Daps
think my draft is ready to get eyes on it. Who wants to help me out with some opinions?

I don't have a legit logline b/c they stress me the fukk out and it would take a week to put the words together perfectly...

but its about a "recovering" alcoholic Uncle and his teen niece going out on Black Friday to search for her mother/his sister when she goes missing.

it's 108 pages. I like to imagine it's a fairly easy read.

I wanted to write a family comedy "with heart" that takes place during the holidays. this opens on Thanksgiving and takes place mostly on Black Friday. I also wanted to have an odd couple pair that we aren't used to leading the script. Can't recall many Adult male/Teen girl duos. figured you could pair a male comedy star with a Disney slut du jour and tap multiple markets. Also wanted to have a female lead b/c that's all the rage. it basically boils down to a buddy cop/roadtrip movie on a smaller scale.

it has elements of The Hangover, Jingle All The Way and a little Uncle Buck and Planes,Trains if i had to associate familiar movies with it.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
think my draft is ready to get eyes on it. Who wants to help me out with some opinions?

I don't have a legit logline b/c they stress me the fukk out and it would take a week to put the words together perfectly...

but its about a "recovering" alcoholic Uncle and his teen niece going out on Black Friday to search for her mother/his sister when she goes missing.

it's 108 pages. I like to imagine it's a fairly easy read.

I wanted to write a family comedy "with heart" that takes place during the holidays. this opens on Thanksgiving and takes place mostly on Black Friday. I also wanted to have an odd couple pair that we aren't used to leading the script. Can't recall many Adult male/Teen girl duos. figured you could pair a male comedy star with a Disney slut du jour and tap multiple markets. Also wanted to have a female lead b/c that's all the rage. it basically boils down to a buddy cop/roadtrip movie on a smaller scale.

it has elements of The Hangover, Jingle All The Way and a little Uncle Buck and Planes,Trains if i had to associate familiar movies with it.

I'm more of a TV guy, but don't mind giving you some overall notes if you need another set of eyes. Might be just a bit though, since I'm sort of backed up on work at the moment.

Daps
I'm currently just stuck doing re-writes, so I'd be happy to put fresh eyes on a new script.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
fukk it, I'll just link it in here for a week or so, then delete it like im special and think people will steal it. ... i know you won't, but i want to feel special anyway

Last edited:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
took the link down... but if you're a nutjob who really wanted to read it, just pm me.

where are the updates? what's everyone else working on?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
took the link down... but if you're a nutjob who really wanted to read it, just pm me.

where are the updates? what's everyone else working on?

Send it to me. I can't promise I'll read it any time soon but I'll give it a shot.

Hell, I'll do you one better and post a link for my second screenplay, the bashed Holocaust satire Oscar Bait:

http://www.docdroid.net/15kdc/oscar-bait-by-thegodling.pdf.html

@StraxStrax You might want to give it a shot. It's absolutely insane and stupid as hell.