The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
if someone ever wants to pay for my script only to strip it and start over with new writers... im all for it.

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
Any film/tv/doc editors or sound editors on The Coli? I know this thread leans toward screenwriting but I was just curious. I'm currently working as a sound editor for TV/film myself, been doing it for a year now.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Hey guys, I got some questions:

1. Do I have to cap items that are needed in the scene? For instance: Jake is on his COMPUTER.

2. This is a 3 part question:

A. If I'm using multiple people for speaking roles, people who are strangers, is it best to label them with numbers? Obviously you should if it's more than 1 person in a scene talking, but I mean if scenes are separated.

B. What if I want a minor character to continue their speaking role in other scenes? Would I still label them under MAN/WOMAN or come up with a name?

C. To go along with the question, what if they're non-speaking roles? Would I still label them with numbers? For instance I want a guy to greet a woman and in another scene I want a guy helping a different woman.

Thanks.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Hey guys, I got some questions:

1. Do I have to cap items that are needed in the scene? For instance: Jake is on his COMPUTER.

2. This is a 3 part question:

A. If I'm using multiple people for speaking roles, people who are strangers, is it best to label them with numbers? Obviously you should if it's more than 1 person in a scene talking, but I mean if scenes are separated.

B. What if I want a minor character to continue their speaking role in other scenes? Would I still label them under MAN/WOMAN or come up with a name?

C. To go along with the question, what if they're non-speaking roles? Would I still label them with numbers? For instance I want a guy to greet a woman and in another scene I want a guy helping a different woman.

Thanks.
1. use caps sparingly - if the reader's eye must absolutely be on that computer, then yes. if not, no not really. Say something on a desk is key to the story and a later scene, then cap it.

A. That's looked at as lazy. just give them each a trait, even if it's shyty, like FAT COP and BLACK COP instead of COP 1 and COP 2. If they speak more than once, might as well give em a name. fukk it.

B. I would just give them a name. I used MAN or WOMAN probably once a script but it's basically for someone in the background. Even then i probably give them a trait, or call them something "funny." like say - "A KID with a MOHAWK cuts Joe in line." JOE - "The fukk?" MOHAWK - "Snooze ya lose, bro."

C. I don't know if i follow, but if they don't speak, just do what i did above. skip the numbers. No one wants to play "CROOK #4"

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I got busy trying to finish something I'm writing, but I fully intend on finishing it ASAP
no big deal (doesn't speak well for the script though. shyt on all you want to, please, i encourage it. I will judge you, but not actually say it in this thread :smugbiden:)

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Just started plotting a new vignette. Ughh...i hate character names. But i love development. I got a donald glover vs joe pesci thing. Fighting over a hope summers-esque chick. And the retarded dude from do the right thing type. Damnit, i need names.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Just started plotting a new vignette. Ughh...i hate character names. But i love development. I got a donald glover vs joe pesci thing. Fighting over a hope summers-esque chick. And the retarded dude from do the right thing type. Damnit, i need names.
just make up some bullshyt newage parent sounding name for the Donald Glove character.

a non-stereotypical, but generic Italian name for Pesci

Chick names suck no matter what

and give the retard a nickname

45 seconds of thought, rapid fire, ready...

1. Jaxon Halloway
2. Teddy Rendazzo
3. Lynnette
4. Denny King aka RaRa

there. that's the shyt that just came out of nowhere in my head. i try not to get too hung up on that stuff too... but i always do.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
just make up some bullshyt newage parent sounding name for the Donald Glove character.

a non-stereotypical, but generic Italian name for Pesci

Chick names suck no matter what

and give the retard a nickname

45 seconds of thought, rapid fire, ready...

1. Jaxon Halloway
2. Teddy Rendazzo
3. Lynnette
4. Denny King aka RaRa

there. that's the shyt that just came out of nowhere in my head. i try not to get too hung up on that stuff too... but i always do.
Funny. That's how i completed the first draft and your names arent far off. My handicapped character is named cameron aka cam-cam

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Funny. That's how i completed the first draft and your names arent far off. My handicapped character is named cameron aka cam-cam
you gotta give the retarded character a "loving" nickname. calling him "Joe" would be a waste and unrealistic

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
you gotta give the retarded character a "loving" nickname. calling him "Joe" would be a waste and unrealistic
Word. I got a little liberty because im going for a john waters vibe. I want this next film to feel like its about to explode or fall apart at any minute. Like, do the right thing on a good acid trip.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Third day of shooting coming up:blessed:

11356824_993515314060875_542303784_n.jpg