The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
I've been spammin' and actin' like a jerkdikk about a web series, here's the promo for it.

the synopsis

Ron Swanton at one point was almost looked at as a rising talent in the then booming field of podcasting until a break up with his long time girlfriend live on air caused him to seemingly vanish completely from the web. Two years later he's back, angrier, cynical and more emotionally unstable than possible. As he tries to build up a new fanbase by resorting to tired shock jock tactics of yesteryear, all the while scamming his audience with questionable advertisement and sponsors; Getting into online rivalries and finding the good in everyone; Ron's own self-destructive nature has him questioning not only his rejuvenated career choice, but his sanity at the same time.

It'll be appearing exclusive on this here web channel , Episode one is essentially the pilot.It drops this Saturday.

@Billy Costigan a feller is tryin' to be just like you. :mjcry:

@Milk N Cookies @Schmoove @Leezy337

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
I've been spammin' and actin' like a jerkdikk about a web series, here's the promo for it.

the synopsis

It'll be appearing exclusive on this here web channel , Episode one is essentially the pilot.It drops this Saturday.

@Billy Costigan a feller is tryin' to be just like you. :mjcry:

@Milk N Cookies @Schmoove @Leezy337

Will watch when I get up. If it's aight ill suggest it for the coli social media page.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Ron Swanton?
ron-swanson-250fp011911.jpg

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
Ron Swanton?
ron-swanson-250fp011911.jpg

While the name's are very similar there's a reason behind that, I reckon.

His name is Ron because the feller playing him, also co-creator of the show because his real name is in fact Rob.

Swanton, comes from the fact my friend Rob, is also into the professional wrasslin'. So naturally i figure Swanton sounds like a better last name than what we originally planned on through I forgot, I thought it was too plain sounding through.

Hope that clears anything up, I reckon.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
do you, but like me, you're probably gonna have to explain that a lot.

i started writing something once and realized about halfway through that i subconciously was using a name from another movie. ... worst part is, i can't even friggin remember what the name was right now. good thing that script was ass and i never finished it

instant i click post i remember - it was Mike Commodore, who was a friggin NHL player. I changed the character to Bryce Commodore and... that's a dope name, I'm re-using it. nobody take that.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Did a page count yesterday for the first time - up to 115 pages. Going to start boiling it down into the essential story now. There's some great moments in there - hyped to see where it goes....

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Work has been kinda shyt for the last two weeks. The group I'm working with now just don't know when to stop writing and coming up with new ideas. Two weeks in an row we've worked on concepts, ideas and other ad stuff for two companies and then maybe 30 mins before the pitch meeting they throw that shyt away and want to start from scratch like they can come up with a whole concept for a new product or ad in 30 mins like it ain't no thing. Both meetings went sour really quick. I was the fukking lead on a project and was home sick for the pitch meeting and they didn't present the ideas we had all agreed on the day before.

fukking a$$holes.

And it was all good a month ago. :mjcry:

Daps
anyone who has written feature lengths... how long are your outlines?

My longest one in the past was 18 pages. I'm working on one now, 3 scenes into act 2 and I'm on page 14 already. I'm not even inserting random dialogue and shyt like i usually do. i asked a guy the other day and he said his last outline was 60 pages, which i thought was insane, but im probably gonna end in the 40s

I've never written an outline that was more than 3 pgs., double spaced. The last thing any producer/director wants to do is read a 60 pg. outline, especially when the script should round out at 90-120 pgs.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
And it was all good a month ago. :mjcry:

Its all good. We stayed late after work last night and had 4-5 beers, played pool and talked about it. Everybody had some problems outside of work that had influence on our work life and temperament. We had a great pitch meeting yesterday so that also help.

Daps
Ok, I read thru the first 10 pgs of this thread, and then the most recent 5. I have had a few crucial near-misses that I'll save for later for those that want to hear, but the here-and-now is that I live in LA, I've got 3 full-length features and 1 pilot script, and I'm basically in the same spot now as I was 4 yrs ago. Had $1 million in an LLC, 2 producers ready to back a feature project, I'M BOUT TA GET PAID the minute pre-production in Detroit starts...and then everything falls apart :sadcam::sadcam::sadcam:Bounced back after that and kept grindin', but haven't seen near the success I saw in late 2010.

I'm in a writers' group every other Monday, so those in the area are welcome to attend, and some other members in the group have won contests/directed and/or produced features, shorts, etc. My basic rule to any and everyone who wants to be a writer is as follows: stay creative, never doubt your talent, and be willing to do any and everything to get your material into the hands of ppl that matter (sans illuminati/dikksukking type shyt). There are enough independent producers and ppl out here w/ money that are willing to invest in a good story. We have so many more options, especially TV-wise, than we did even 10 yrs ago. Find ppl that think like you and convince them that your story is the one that NEEDS TO BE TOLD!!! I'll be checking into this thread every week or so, and I expect all the serious screenwriters to do the same...

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I've never written an outline that was more than 3 pgs., double spaced. The last thing any producer/director wants to do is read a 60 pg. outline, especially when the script should round out at 90-120 pgs.
"producers/directors" are a foreign word to me. The outlining process for me at the moment is just for me. If someone ever paid me, or requested an outline from me, I'd probably do the same thing, then just break that into a skeleton and hand that in.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Anybody own a digital camera for filming? If so what kind. I'm thinking about copping the Black Magic Pocket Camera- which I've been hearing about a lot from others who film. Writing is going good but I want to experiment with some actual shooting on the side.