The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
@Conz

I think the main problem with all of this is, as much as people (from amateur to professional) will tell you there's a standard "format" for scripts, there really isn't one. People tend to have a format in their head that comes from the first things they read, so if yours doesn't match exactly, they tell you shyt like "that's now how it's done", "I can't tell if we're watching the phone convo from one side, or if it's intercut"

:comeon:

You can read two professional scripts that both tackle the same problem differently.

The real truth is, as long as it's clear, it's fine.

When people read my shyt, I tend to ask them basic questions to clarify if my "direction" was clear.

"Yo, when John was talking to Sally on the phone, did you get that we were cutting back and forth?" or "When you were watching the scene of Sally at the party, did you get that it was silent and you what you hear is John talking to the priest about her?"

If they get confused, I know I've got to go back and make it clearer.
right, but like i said, i tend to format certain spots in certain ways just to cut the nitpickers off at the sourse, especially if there's a rating system involved and they knock my formatting down b/c i didn't specify the giant inflatable gorilla was outside of the car properly... :rudy: ***

in reality, the second you write the word "phone" they should know what the fukk is going on.

*** how great would it be if you could write scripts with Coli smilies? you'd never have to wrack your brain over the perfect way to describe someone's reaction or spend 5 minutes checking a thesaurus for the right adjective

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Writing scripts when mobile phones didn't exist must've been so much easier:to:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
right, but like i said, i tend to format certain spots in certain ways just to cut the nitpickers off at the sourse, especially if there's a rating system involved and they knock my formatting down b/c i didn't specify the giant inflatable gorilla was outside of the car properly... :rudy: ***

in reality, the second you write the word "phone" they should know what the fukk is going on.

*** how great would it be if you could write scripts with Coli smilies? you'd never have to wrack your brain over the perfect way to describe someone's reaction or spend 5 minutes checking a thesaurus for the right adjective

KATE
Where have you been?

JOHN
:merchant:

KATE
No answer?

JOHN
:lupe:... Work?

KATE
:usure:

JOHN
:patrice:

KATE
:mjcry: You were with her weren't you?

JOHN
:whoa:

KATE
:to::camby:

#coliscreenplays

Conz

Superstar
Daps
might be a spinoff thread. adapt a page of one of your script using coli smiles

TdashDUB

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Austin
Hey guys, I have a question for heading outside shots that take places inside cars. Do you just label it like:

INT. CAR - MORNING

or

INT/EXT CAR - MORNING

(not sure of this has already been said, I haven't read the other posts)
Short answer: INT./EXT. CAR - DAY

Just covers all possibilities. Ideally, EXT/INT is mainly for crew to know what to prep/schedule for.

Also covers possibility for B-roll... But of course, if it's 30 seconds inside a car and you just need to get the point of the scene across, then there's no need for EXT.

I'd also add "INT. CAR - MOVING - DAY" or "INT./EXT. CAR - PARKED - NIGHT"

Conz

Superstar
Daps
been keeping track of my writing this year. Way too much slacking in January but I'm doing well this month so far:
2ez2vbc.jpg

Conz

Superstar
Daps
it's amazing how little i accomplish in those 2 hour blocks (i wrote 2+ hours... ill be real, i don't think I've eclipsed 4 hours in one setting yet) ill sit for 2 hours and go back and realize i wrote all of 2 pages in the end b/c i can't just let a line stick even though i know it's a draft that will be scratched off 20 times when im done

StraxStrax

Daps
Just say a rough cut of the music video I directed

:lawd:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm close to finishing a draft. Was writing yesterday and basically skipped 10 messy pages and just wrote the ending. probably 100-105 pages, and id say 1-35 work, 95-end work, and about 15 other pages in between work... the rest is shiiiiiit. i actually started writing lines of dialogue such as this yesterday - "Something funny that calls back to act 1." "What could this bytch possible say here?" and action lines like "He does some other illogically stupid thing that no one would ever let fly," so i think i need a few days off

Conz

Superstar
Daps
finished my "first draft" yesterday. 22 days since I finished the outline. Wrote a lot, that's a pretty quick turn around. wish i could just hand this off to someone and say "work out the kinks and then give it back." So now the plan is...

-take a day or 2 off from it
-print a copy and old school pen/hi-lighter revise it
-work revisions in
-read it, hate it, do that again
-do a complete dialogue pass and re-write most of that
-finish a draft I'd be ok with people reading
-send off to the few people whose opinion i respect
-let some people whose opinions mean dikk to me read it and nitpick
-take notes from both those groups and re-write
-probably end up re-writing an entire new ending
-... re-write again
-then re-write
-then be "satisfied."

so if all goes well, should be "done" by October.

StraxStrax

Daps
Work has been kinda shyt for the last two weeks. The group I'm working with now just don't know when to stop writing and coming up with new ideas. Two weeks in an row we've worked on concepts, ideas and other ad stuff for two companies and then maybe 30 mins before the pitch meeting they throw that shyt away and want to start from scratch like they can come up with a whole concept for a new product or ad in 30 mins like it ain't no thing. Both meetings went sour really quick. I was the fukking lead on a project and was home sick for the pitch meeting and they didn't present the ideas we had all agreed on the day before.

fukking a$$holes.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Work has been kinda shyt for the last two weeks. The group I'm working with now just don't know when to stop writing and coming up with new ideas. Two weeks in an row we've worked on concepts, ideas and other ad stuff for two companies and then maybe 30 mins before the pitch meeting they throw that shyt away and want to start from scratch like they can come up with a whole concept for a new product or ad in 30 mins like it ain't no thing. Both meetings went sour really quick. I was the fukking lead on a project and was home sick for the pitch meeting and they didn't present the ideas we had all agreed on the day before.

fukking a$$holes.

I do not miss advertising LOL.