The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Hey, guys, I finally started writing and I have questions. I'm using Celtx just to let you know.:

1. I have a scene that takes place in one dudes home in 3 different areas. Do I have to break it down individually (Int. Bedroom) or can I just leave it like I did it (INT. Bedroom/bathroom/kitchen)?

1A. For that scene above I want the character doing a voice over while he's doing his thing. What I did was put it down something this: "MC gets out of bed. He freshens up in the bathroom. He eats breakfast. While all this is going on a voice over is heard of MC."

2. When dialog is cut off and continues on the next page I noticed in scripts they use (more). I wanna know if the program automatically adds it or if you have to do it yourself.

3. Does the program number the scenes?

4. I noticed in scripts how they have the show name and what kind of draft it is in the top corner. How can I add that in?

That's all I have for now.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Hey, guys, I finally started writing and I have questions. I'm using Celtx just to let you know.:

1. I have a scene that takes place in one dudes home in 3 different areas. Do I have to break it down individually (Int. Bedroom) or can I just leave it like I did it (INT. Bedroom/bathroom/kitchen)?

They should all be separate. (INT. - Bedroom)

1A. For that scene above I want the character doing a voice over while he's doing his thing. What I did was put it down something this: "MC gets out of bed. He freshens up in the bathroom. He eats breakfast. While all this is going on a voice over is heard of MC."

It should be MC(V.O.)

2. When dialog is cut off and continues on the next page I noticed in scripts they use (more). I wanna know if the program automatically adds it or if you have to do it yourself.

3. Does the program number the scenes?

Celtx is pretty basic, so I doubt it.

4. I noticed in scripts how they have the show name and what kind of draft it is in the top corner. How can I add that in?

That's all I have for now.

Celtx is pretty basic, it may give you the option to do that. BUT that sounds more like something you would find in Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriter

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Celtx is pretty basic, it may give you the option to do that. BUT that sounds more like something you would find in Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriter

For your answer in question 1 I noticed you said I should separate the 3 areas in the house. I noticed in scripts that they combine them. It does look better than this:

INT Bedroom - Morning

MC gets up and walks to the bathroom.

INT Bathroom - continuous

MC washes up then heads to bedroom.

INT Bedroom - continuous

MC puts on clothes then heads to the kitchen.

INT Kitchen - continuous

MC eats.

For 1A I did that. I'm just not sure if I should let the reader know a voice over is happening during that sequence of events.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
For your answer in question 1 I noticed you said I should separate the 3 areas in the house. I noticed in scripts that they combine them. It does look better than this:

INT Bedroom - Morning

INT Bedroom - continuous

INT Kitchen - continuous

MC eats.

For 1A I did that. I'm just not sure if I should let the reader know a voice over is happening during that sequence of events.

I mean......

How to Use “CONTINUOUS”
In screenplays, you’ll often see something like this:

Notice the “CONTINUOUS” after the second logline? That means that the audience follows Gus and Jan as they run into the kitchen to see paranormal activity at work. You use “CONTINUOUS” when a scene takes place in two locations and time doesn’t pass between them

I guess this depends on interpretation. But the scene you wrote doesn't seem "continuous" to me.

And another thing.

"I noticed in scripts that they combine them"

I assume you mean scripts by ESTABLISHED writers. Just because they do it, don't mean you should do it.

The Screenwriters Bible, stresses not to completely followed what a successful screenwriter has done, and that they can get away with things, that would get a novices script thrown away.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I mean......

How to Use “CONTINUOUS”
In screenplays, you’ll often see something like this:

Notice the “CONTINUOUS” after the second logline? That means that the audience follows Gus and Jan as they run into the kitchen to see paranormal activity at work. You use “CONTINUOUS” when a scene takes place in two locations and time doesn’t pass between them

I guess this depends on interpretation. But the scene you wrote doesn't seem "continuous" to me.

I'm not using dialog in that scene. It's just a voice over.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm not using dialog in that scene. It's just a voice over.

I understand that.

Show me where you've seen this done. like what scripts...

INT Bedroom - Morning

INT Bedroom - continuous

INT Kitchen - continuous

MC eats.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I understand that.

Show me where you've seen this done. like what scripts...

INT Bedroom - Morning

INT Bedroom - continuous

INT Kitchen - continuous

MC eats.

If you're talking about combining? I see it in scripts for 30 Rock.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
If you're talking about combining? I see it in scripts for 30 Rock.

I don't know I guess. But I don't try to write TV shows, they are a bit different.

I've manage to find this.

1. wks2001, Apr 11, 2011

2. Apollo Bronze Member
    I often use 'CONTINUOUS' when for example, my character moves from his bedroom straight into his bathroom...without a break or anything. I assume that is okay?
    Apollo, Apr 12, 2011

3. WriterguyBronze Member

I often use 'CONTINUOUS' when for example, my character moves from his bedroom straight into his bathroom...without a break or anything. I assume that is okay?

4. No, it's not "okay."

The only time you should use "(CONTINUOUS)" is when the following scene is continuous with the preceding scene but it isn't patently obvious that this is the case.

When a character goes from his or her bedroom to their bathroom, it's obvious that it's a continuous sequence, there's no need to tell us it is.

But in some instances, it won't be all so obvious and that's when you need to tell us that it is by using "(CONTINUOUS)."

Writerguy, Apr 12, 2011

• IgorBronze Member

No, it's not "okay."
Writerguy knows his sh!t about formatting... BUT, pretty much every post of his that I've seen takes the view that there's ONE correct way. Full stop. A "formatting fundamentalist", so to speak. That's a step too far for me.

Apollo, your use of CONTINUOUS is fine. I say that because I've seen it used in scripts by accomplished screenwriters. I've also seen it not used in scripts by other accomplished screenwriters. So, take your pick.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
This was shot in 2013 with two iphone 4s and a metro pcs ZTE phone.

The style is both that of Neo-Noir and Microcinema (production aspect.).

The dialogue, was entirely improv. I'm aware of a scene or few that could've been extended a bit or cut shorter, along with me obviously saving "cut", and the some-what boring stationary shot in the beginning. Would love to see what you guys think.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Yo, Im currently writing a screenplay for a class...

My narrative has the feel of a feature length, but it's only supposed to be 3-5 pages. Anyone have any tips on how to condense a script?

I really want to do a long montage with Diamond in the Back by Curtis Mayfield... but that shyt would probably take up 30-40% of the
screen time. Might be awkward to fit in.

The synopsis is... a man is looking for the chef who prepared the best meal of his life on New Years eve. He claims to have a friend who's opening a restuarant, and needs a head chef.

The dude he's looking for is hard to find... somehow it gets revealed that he was associated with the mafia in his younger years, and didn't leave on the best terms. It never get's revealed exactly what happened.

So the protagonist finds the chef, and gives heartfelt compliments about the meal he had. Then pitches his friends restaurant. They toast to the proposition, and he says "Ronnie, but you know why Im here, right?" (the chef hasn't been called Ronnie in years).

I need Christopher Walken for this shyt :sadcam:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Page 19 of my outline... 2 scenes from the midpoint :sadcam:

shyt's a comedy too, need to eventually keep that in the 95-105 page range. Gonna kill so many of my babies bros :to:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Made thread, but decided to come here.
Watsup. Not trying to get my hopes up, but one of my good real life brehs is trying to refer me to a small time film maker. My friend said it would be good for me and the producer to try and hook up, because it would help us both. Get our names out there. As you guys know I stated many times on here that I am a writer, but the bad news is I have no experience in writing a script. I mostly wrote in a novel format. I know writing a script is extremely different compared to writing a novel; You can only write what the audience sees and hears in a script. No background, thoughts or feelings which I am mostly use to. Limited detail.

But some people say writing a script is much easier than a novel. And so far I completed two first drafts of two different stories.

So my Coli brehs what advice do you have to share? :smile:

What are the pros and cons of writing a script?

Any advice?