The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I have 10 episodes to an idea for a TV show I have written but it's all noted up in a creative writing style. How do I switch this up into writing a script? Anyone got any tips? :sadbron:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Honestly never used it, but heard good things and its free.:yeshrug:

Another free one: https://www.writerduet.com/ I've used it, pretty solid.

Final Draft is good (that's what I use too).

Final Draft on the iPad is a different story. It's great 90% of the time, then once in a while it goes through fits and freezes, crashes and looses like the last 20-30 seconds.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're on a roll, it's the worst thing that can ever happen lol

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
So I have 10 episodes to an idea for a TV show I have written but it's all noted up in a creative writing style. How do I switch this up into writing a script? Anyone got any tips? :sadbron:

What do you mean?

You have a 10 episode Season outlined ep by ep, or you've literally written a 10 episode Season in the form of a novel?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
That's the statement thousands if not hundreds of thousands of aspiring writers/creative like us are asking.

There's no simple answer, but from what I read, hear and pick up, if there was a simple answer, it would be connections

That's not on some nepotism or like "they're tryna keep us out" type of thing a lot of people complain about, it's more to say people tend to work with and hire the people they know, not always the best people.

I watch a lot of Comedy Central shows and I read the credits. When a comedian gets a show, the Staff Writer's are comedians that person associates with.

When a network buys a script or a project, it tends to be from someone who they've worked with before (regardless of whether their last project was successful)

I can't remember where I heard it (I listen to about 25 podcasts lol) but I think it may have been on Barry Katz's Industry Standard:

People want to work with people they know are cool, because there's nothing worse than having to spend 12+ hours a day with a$$holes, so meet people, don't be an a$$hole and when they need someone like you (writer, actor, director etc.) they'll come and get you.

:yeshrug:

That's what I cling to so I don't lose hope :russ:

Where would someone unknown go or look for connections?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Where would someone unknown go or look for connections?

Like @2 Up 2 Down said, film festivals could be one, but honestly, you never know where connections can come from.

I've been freelance copywriting for 3-4 years after I did 2 internships and came up empty, and I've recently met a dope contact through a client.

I (was) writing scripts for a tech startup doing reviews of cutting edge and in development tech and the dude who was gonna direct the videos was a great dude who has a lot of connects and we've been chopping it up ever since.

I don't know if anything will come from it, but it's the first "card" in my rolodex

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you mean?

You have a 10 episode Season outlined ep by ep, or you've literally written a 10 episode Season in the form of a novel?

I think outlined would be the more appropriate way of explaining it yes. I've just kind of wrote scenes to explain each episode, that would obviously need lengthening to equal the length of a legit screenplay. I dunno breh, I just like writing, I don't know what I've got to be honest with you. I just have an idea and I've scratched the surface with it is all :yeshrug:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I think outlined would be the more appropriate way of explaining it yes. I've just kind of wrote scenes to explain each episode, that would obviously need lengthening to equal the length of a legit screenplay. I dunno breh, I just like writing, I don't know what I've got to be honest with you. I just have an idea and I've scratched the surface with it is all :yeshrug:

I'm writing a half hour thing show right now and the thing that freaks me out is just how long a 30 minute show is in script pages. It's a lot, but once you've got the beats down (the different scenes in the ep) you'll feel more inclined to write.

It sounds to me like you're writing more of a Treatment/Outline of your show right now, so I'd suggest doing this:

1 page doc that's the overview of the show - what it's about, what's gonna happen then what it all leads to.

Then the next thing would be each episode (1-10) individually. A paragraph each detailing exactly what happens in each ep which will help give you a better idea before you start writing.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm writing a half hour thing show right now and the thing that freaks me out is just how long a 30 minute show is in script pages. It's a lot, but once you've got the beats down (the different scenes in the ep) you'll feel more inclined to write.

It sounds to me like you're writing more of a Treatment/Outline of your show right now, so I'd suggest doing this:

1 page doc that's the overview of the show - what it's about, what's gonna happen then what it all leads to.

Then the next thing would be each episode (1-10) individually. A paragraph each detailing exactly what happens in each ep which will help give you a better idea before you start writing.

Its just 22 pages:yeshrug:, but sometimes it feels like 100.:wow:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Best advice is write dope sh*t. Write everyday. Then write some more. Build a good stable of material, have someone who's knowledgeable read it and when its ready start cold calling managers, production companies etc.

If you live in LA, networking is key and probably just as important as your work. Going to be tough if you're not in LA.