The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
^^ Also try to gage which network it would be good for. Network tv and standard cable channels have commercials so maybe 22-25 pages might work for a 30 minute show. Premium cable like HBO, Showtime, etc don't have commercials so you should write 30-35 pages for a 30 minute show.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
^^ Also try to gage which network it would be good for. Network tv and standard cable channels have commercials so maybe 22-25 pages might work for a 30 minute show. Premium cable like HBO, Showtime, etc don't have commercials so you should write 30-35 pages for a 30 minute show.

Yeah I was thinking network, cable is longer.

Are you going by that "1 page is 1 minute" guideline, because the spec scripts and shooting scripts I've read for half hour shows tend to be 30-35 pages :yeshrug:

True, just looked at a few shooting scripts I have, they tend to be in that range. I think 30 is a good#

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
My writer brehs, I've always wondered this, but never really heard anyone talk about it in a concrete way.

On an average to good day, how many pages can you write?

What's the most you've ever written that was actually good or useable after you came back the next day and read it again?

I tend to write sporadically, not touching FD for days, even a week or two, but always thinking about the script and only feeling like I need to write once I've "watched" the scene in my head 5 or 6 times. Then I'll sit for an hour or two and bang out 7 or 8 pages.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
@steadyrighteous

I'd say it's more about the hours you put in. It's work. If you write for ___ hours a day you should always write (at least) for ____ hours a days no matter how many pages you write because sometimes you can write 4 pages in 1-2 hours while on other days can take 12 hours.

This. Also, IMO, if you're thinking about what you want to write, that's writing.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You know that feeling when you're in the theater having to sit through a god awful trailer of some cliché ridden, predictable ass feel-good romcom and you just want to start writing a movie called "Adolf Hitler has a toothache" about Hitler having a toothache that hurts so much it's impeding his speech, and his treacherous right hand men use the fact that no one can understand what he's saying to give out false orders that start WWII, and Hitler tries to explain the situation to the people but the pain from his tooth ache frustrates him so much he shouts and throws his hands around and that's basically why he always sounds the way he does in his speeches?

Goddamn fukking The Hundred-Foot Journey bullshyt. :camby:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
You know that feeling when you're in the theater having to sit through a god awful trailer of some cliché ridden, predictable ass feel-good romcom and you just want to start writing a movie called "Adolf Hitler has a toothache" about Hitler having a toothache that hurts so much it's impeding his speech, and his treacherous right hand men use the fact that no one can understand what he's saying to give out false orders that start WWII, and Hitler tries to explain the situation to the people but the pain from his tooth ache frustrates him so much he shouts and throws his hands around and that's basically why he always sounds the way he does in his speeches?

Goddamn fukking The Hundred-Foot Journey bullshyt. :camby:

:seanw:
farming2jwknv.gif

Last edited:
Daps
My writer brehs, I've always wondered this, but never really heard anyone talk about it in a concrete way.

On an average to good day, how many pages can you write?

What's the most you've ever written that was actually good or useable after you came back the next day and read it again?

I tend to write sporadically, not touching FD for days, even a week or two, but always thinking about the script and only feeling like I need to write once I've "watched" the scene in my head 5 or 6 times. Then I'll sit for an hour or two and bang out 7 or 8 pages.

I'd say 4 to 5 pages on a good day. I try to get at least 1-3 done every single day, depending on whether or not I'm writing a new draft or just polishing. Everybody has their own process but I have to write or at the very least research and outline on a daily basis. I've gotten to the point where I don't feel right If I don't get any work in that day.

Having said that, writing out scenes in your head counts as working/writing for me. If that's what works for you, go with it.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I'd say 4 to 5 pages on a good day. I try to get at least 1-3 done every single day, depending on whether or not I'm writing a new draft or just polishing. Everybody has their own process but I have to write or at the very least research and outline on a daily basis. I've gotten to the point where I don't feel right If I don't get any work in that day.

Having said that, writing out scenes in your head counts as working/writing for me. If that's what works for you, go with it.

I knocked out 4 pages today, had been thinking about it for almost a week and a half though.

Two different writers that I've listened to (podcasts) have said taking walks or taking showers work, and I can't front, I get good ideas in the shower. I actually took a 3rd shower in a day to get over a hump and it fukking worked :russ:

I find when writing the script isn't flowing, I'll switch to Character Descriptions or Season Outlines/Breakdowns, but if I'm honest, I can go long stretches without doing a damn thing knowing I could/should.

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is, knowing how I work, I worry if I was given a deadline, could I meet it?

Daps
I knocked out 4 pages today, had been thinking about it for almost a week and a half though.

Two different writers that I've listened to (podcasts) have said taking walks or taking showers work, and I can't front, I get good ideas in the shower. I actually took a 3rd shower in a day to get over a hump and it fukking worked :russ:

I find when writing the script isn't flowing, I'll switch to Character Descriptions or Season Outlines/Breakdowns, but if I'm honest, I can go long stretches without doing a damn thing knowing I could/should.

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is, knowing how I work, I worry if I was given a deadline, could I meet it?

Which podcasts do you listen to? Aaron Sorkin said he takes like 6 showers a day when he's working on a script.

I would suggest entering your work in contests if you wanna get a feel for writing with a deadline.