The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
First EP is up

Just watched the ep.

It's cool, I like the premise a lot, but I think Jada I think it is (the black girl) is too caught up in race herself ("Black people don't take the stairs...", "That's how slavery started..." etc.)

I think it might have been an idea to toy with if she was more of the "straight man/woman" and everyone else around her is non-PC (as they are) and slowly as the series develops, she becomes less and less PC and devolves to their level.

Just a thought, but good shyt, man.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just watched the ep.

It's cool, I like the premise a lot, but I think Jada I think it is (the black girl) is too caught up in race herself ("Black people don't take the stairs...", "That's how slavery started..." etc.)

I think it might have been an idea to toy with if she was more of the "straight man/woman" and everyone else around her is non-PC (as they are) and slowly as the series develops, she becomes less and less PC and devolves to their level.

Just a thought, but good shyt, man.

Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right, I discussed with the co-creator, Jada may be talking about race too much in that one. Early draft didn't have all those race jokes in it. I felt like I needed to hit people over the head with the race stuff in the first ep to set the tone for the series. I think we did a better job in later episodes turning that down a bit.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right, I discussed with the co-creator, Jada may be talking about race too much in that one. Early draft didn't have all those race jokes in it. I felt like I needed to hit people over the head with the race stuff in the first ep to set the tone for the series. I think we did a better job in later episodes turning that down a bit.

I don't even think there are too many race jokes, it's just hard to tell who, if anyone, is the "voice of reason", which is why I singled out Jada. If she's the one who's been roped into working at Colored People, it'd make sense if at least in the beginning, she'd like "Y'all talk about race way too much" and slowly she just becomes one of them so when she makes a "Black people don't take the stairs" joke, the other dude can look back at her and be like "Now you're getting into the swing of things" or "Now you're one of us" type shyt.

I'm probably thinking too traditionally though, if they're all talk first think later that may be funnier going forward.

Either way, I'mma keep watching. Keep posting 'em.

Before. I like to take out 30% to be on the safe side. It can get tedious but I work like crazy.

Check out my current main source:

As a freelance Write rmyself, 'preciate the link

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
First EP is up

Nice work, really nice.

I think the colors are off, too muted and inconsistent. The set design is a little boring but you make it work. The timing on "same difference" is off.

Writers thoughts

In the elevator she says that the repair dude (or whoever) is on his way. Surely the guys in the elevator know that, they hear everything she hears?
Why do the people in the stairs walk down the entire stairs and not just down a floor or up a floor and use the elevator there?

Also I saw the boom mic reflect and it's shadow in the elevator :camby:

Just messing with you, it's a tight space and shyt like that happens :pachaha:

The best scene is the last before the credits, when Dan stops the dude in red. The timing on everything, acting and camera is fantastic. He seems by far the best actor.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nice work, really nice.

I think the colors are off, too muted and inconsistent. The set design is a little boring but you make it work. The timing on "same difference" is off.
Yeah, its pretty washed out. Another episode is even worse, going to cost $300:stopitslime: to get it color corrected and that's a hookup so we decided to just fix the one that was really bad, was hoping most people wouldn't notice on this one:merchant:.
Writers thoughts

In the elevator she says that the repair dude (or whoever) is on his way. Surely the guys in the elevator know that, they hear everything she hears?
Good catch, originally it was written so that there was an actual emergency phone in the elevator, but the elevator we were able to use didn't have one. Should have rewrote that part.:ohhh:

Why do the people in the stairs walk down the entire stairs and not just down a floor or up a floor and use the elevator there?
In a lot of office buildings the staircases are locked. You can't open doors from inside the stairwell above the first floor. We could have made that clear though.:patrice:

Also I saw the boom mic reflect and it's shadow in the elevator :camby:

Just messing with you, it's a tight space and shyt like that happens :pachaha:
Yeah, noticed that while editing:what::manny::pachaha:

The best scene is the last before the credits, when Dan stops the dude in red. The timing on everything, acting and camera is fantastic. He seems by far the best actor.
Yeah I think Evan is the most experienced.

Thanks for watching, good feeback.:myman:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
@ghostwriterx

Why not send emails to film schools close by and ask if some students are interested in color correcting and let them take a stap at it. The worst that can happen is the students say no and that's not gonna cost you a cent.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Thought I'd put this here since only a couple of us check this thread out really....

I might... might have the opportunity to pitch something to a major cable network in the coming months. I don't know if it'll work out and I'm literally not telling anyone at the crib, but I thought I'd post it here to get it off my chest a little.

When I know more I'll share (good or bad)

Finger crossed for ya boy :merchant:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thought I'd put this here since only a couple of us check this thread out really....

I might... might have the opportunity to pitch something to a major cable network in the coming months. I don't know if it'll work out and I'm literally not telling anyone at the crib, but I thought I'd post it here to get it off my chest a little.

When I know more I'll share (good or bad)

Finger crossed for ya boy :merchant:
Perfect your pitch, get it to its simplest form, try it out on strangers. good luck!