The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Which podcasts do you listen to? Aaron Sorkin said he takes like 6 showers a day when he's working on a script.

I would suggest entering your work in contests if you wanna get a feel for writing with a deadline.

I try not to listen to podcasts that are too "writerly". Partly outta insecurity and fear of hearing something that'll make me feel like I shouldn't be doing it. Partly because sometimes writers "talk up" what they do and make it seem like high art and it's annoying. When you've heard the guy who wrote Superhero Movie and Scary Movie 4 talk about how execs are stupid you kinda walk away with the :wtb: face.

Writer's Bloc with JR Havlin - he interviews a lot of comedy writers (I skip the Daily Show writer eps because he works there, I don't watch the show and once you've heard 2 you've hear 'em all)
Industry Standard with Barry Katz - Interviews mostly the suits and execs that make the decisions. Interesting to hear what they think since ultimately, it's their decision what goes.
The Moment with Brian Koppleman - He interviews directors etc. but when he has a comedy or movie writer on I'll listen.

Besides that, it's all comedy podcasts and once in a blue moon they'll have someone on who performs and writes, so you can get that perspective, but I'm selective about what I listen to.

I'm tryna be inspired and motivated for the most part.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where yall at with your scripts?

Can't lie, I finished my first draft last August (13 months ago) and went through 20 drafts until maybe 4 months ago. Wrote maybe 7 pages of a new one and that was about 6 months ago.

Tryna see what I can do with the script I got. Sent it to like 3 coverage script people, and they all liked the protagonist very much and I edited where I had to.

Even if I write 30 scripts in my lifetime, this one will always be my fav. I can guarantee that. Maybe that's why I aint been inspired to write more. :shaq2:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Where yall at with your scripts?

Can't lie, I finished my first draft last August (13 months ago) and went through 20 drafts until maybe 4 months ago. Wrote maybe 7 pages of a new one and that was about 6 months ago.

Tryna see what I can do with the script I got. Sent it to like 3 coverage script people, and they all liked the protagonist very much and I edited where I had to.

Even if I write 30 scripts in my lifetime, this one will always be my fav. I can guarantee that. Maybe that's why I aint been inspired to write more. :shaq2:

What changes for you from draft to draft?

Story? Dialogue?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Dialogue, removing unnecessary sub-plots (sometimes replacing it with better ones), trimming scenes, removing characters, etc

Yeah, dialogue is what I'm most surprised by when looking at a script again.

It's weird how bad dialogue can look over the course of 24 hours lol.

Anyway, to answer your first question from the post above, I'm currently writing the 2nd episode of a show I'm working on. Right now it's just that, but I think I've got something decent on my hands with it.

I've also written a 10 ep. breakdown for it and an overview for the 2nd Season. All told, that doc comes to 10 pages.

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
man, i was writing a ton of shyt and just deleted it because i suck :to: Ill never be a great writer.

Daps
First drafts are supposed to suck. That's why they call it the vomit draft. It's takes several drafts to break a story. Just keep going because 90% of what's in that first draft is gonna eventually get changed or cut anyway.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Got an interview with a huge ad agency next week as a copywriter.

:lupe:

shyt has been like a reality tv show. They cut from 300 people to 30 and then to 12 (I got straight to the 12 group) and then we were asked to come up with an idea over for a real company and present a full ad campaign in front of the marketing department heads from the company and the heads of the ad agency. Now I just got a call and was asked to come to a meeting tomorrow.
The pressure is :damn:

If they are calling me in for a meeting just to say I don't get the job :camby:

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
shyt has been like a reality tv show. They cut from 300 people to 30 and then to 12 (I got straight to the 12 group) and then we were asked to come up with an idea over for a real company and present a full ad campaign in front of the marketing department heads from the company and the heads of the ad agency. Now I just got a call and was asked to come to a meeting tomorrow.
The pressure is :damn:

If they are calling me in for a meeting just to say I don't get the job :camby:

good luck :salute:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Just got word that one of my competitors (and a friend) did not get a call for a meeting
:feedme: