The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Perfect your pitch, get it to its simplest form, try it out on strangers. good luck!

That's gonna be the hardest part. And I'm already a generally introverted/quiet person so I've got to get my shyt on point to not come off like a bumbling idiot.

You ever pitched anything to producers/execs of any kind? This'll literally be my first time doing it (if it goes down)

Batz

The Freaks Come out At Night
Daps
I want to do a horror movie. I got this idea that i want to do, what are the ins and outs about scripts for that?

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's gonna be the hardest part. And I'm already a generally introverted/quiet person so I've got to get my shyt on point to not come off like a bumbling idiot.

You ever pitched anything to producers/execs of any kind? This'll literally be my first time doing it (if it goes down)
Nothing formal, just casually to friends in the industry. Pitching is a whole other art form, I'm an introvert too, so even when I'm "pitching" to friends I stumble over my words all the time.:snoop:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You might want to check this out, could be helpful.
https://rt133.infusionsoft.com/app/page/7deadlysins-infolist
Thought I'd put this here since only a couple of us check this thread out really....

I might... might have the opportunity to pitch something to a major cable network in the coming months. I don't know if it'll work out and I'm literally not telling anyone at the crib, but I thought I'd post it here to get it off my chest a little.

When I know more I'll share (good or bad)

Finger crossed for ya boy :merchant:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Dammit, my fingers are itching to do some writing again but I don't even know where to start.

The Rydeen trilogy, three tales about the rise of space-crusading drifter with super strength into a planetary king?

Margery, a comedy about a nerdy redhead's masturbation addiction growing out of control?

The Blood We Shed, about two fifty year old Irish veterans (one a Marine, the other an IRA terrorist) who have a bare-knuckle fight to the death?

Luchador, the autobiographical story of my friend Jack's adventures in love, strip bars and the army?

Gut Bucket, a western about a wildered boy tasked to return the favor on a renegade Indian who guts people and keeps them in buckets?

Aoki Descent, about a nearly-blinded female cop in a future society who discovers it was her own government that triggered the 'accident' that almost took her eye-sight?

The Tale Of Jésus Christo, a western that retells the story of Jesus Christ as a Mexican bandit hunted down by the Jewish owned train companies?

Blak Boy Conquers The World, the story of a stowaway black boy on a whaler in the 19th century becoming its most important crew member?

Ody Of Joy, a children's story about Ody, the apprentice of the witch of good who, after being captured by her sister, the witch of bad, must convince the third sister, the witch of indifference, to help him save the world?

A Cold That Never Ends, a drama about a heavy partying Chinese girl who, after a boy she went home with dies from an overdose, out of fear flees to her estranged father, a former Colonel in the Chinese army who never got adjusted to life in America?

Seriously brehs, where the hell do I start? :damn:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished my short for the 48 hour film project and now I can sleep :blessed:

Ended up with having to do a comedy. Couldn't get any actors, had to completely rewrite the script on the day of shooting (my first time writing), had to deal with a crap ton of paper work, and spent the majority of today editing to have in done by the drop off deadline. All in all it was fun. They will be showing everyones films at a local movie theater here next week so I can't wait( and a bit nervous) to see my work on the big screen.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Finished my short for the 48 hour film project and now I can sleep :blessed:

Ended up with having to do a comedy. Couldn't get any actors, had to completely rewrite the script on the day of shooting (my first time writing), had to deal with a crap ton of paper work, and spent the majority of today editing to have in done by the drop off deadline. All in all it was fun. They will be showing everyones films at a local movie theater here next week so I can't wait( and a bit nervous) to see my work on the big screen.

I did the 48 Hour Film Project this year as well for the first time.

It is pretty fun to do, though I was only Script Supervisor.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've said it before but I'll say it again because it was in the earlier pages

Check out www.scriptshadow.net for great tips

PS - Anyone hear got connections in the industry, read scripts, etc?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
How does an unknown get a break out in Hollywood nowadays?

That's the statement thousands if not hundreds of thousands of aspiring writers/creative like us are asking.

There's no simple answer, but from what I read, hear and pick up, if there was a simple answer, it would be connections

That's not on some nepotism or like "they're tryna keep us out" type of thing a lot of people complain about, it's more to say people tend to work with and hire the people they know, not always the best people.

I watch a lot of Comedy Central shows and I read the credits. When a comedian gets a show, the Staff Writer's are comedians that person associates with.

When a network buys a script or a project, it tends to be from someone who they've worked with before (regardless of whether their last project was successful)

I can't remember where I heard it (I listen to about 25 podcasts lol) but I think it may have been on Barry Katz's Industry Standard:

People want to work with people they know are cool, because there's nothing worse than having to spend 12+ hours a day with a$$holes, so meet people, don't be an a$$hole and when they need someone like you (writer, actor, director etc.) they'll come and get you.

:yeshrug:

That's what I cling to so I don't lose hope :russ: