The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Sure. I'm a freelance writer, doing web content, blogs, ads, anything you can think of. Not all that fun, but it pays the bills and allows me to work from home, which frees me up to write or do whatever I need.

Don't know if this inappropriate but how much do you make a month doing those side jobs :lupe:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Have you made any money yet? If not keep grinding breh. You remind me of myself when I was trying to get into IT

i remember i added up all the money ive made from writing (scripts and web) and it was just about $2 grand... over like 5 years.

the "optioned" script, which im pretty sure is no expired so i retain the rights to it, was for $500 + another $500 b/c they did something with it, and the contract stipulations were i could make a maximum of $25,000 if they ever actually shot it. That was just a pipe dream though. I don't know what the minimum is for Hollywood, but it's definitely considerably more than that.

Also, never picked Chasing Chamberlain back up. it's a solid idea on the surface, but i never really tried to flesh it out. someday.

i haven't been writing much lately

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Dope!!

Keep it up. My homeboy dropped a web series under Issa Rae's (awkward black girl) network on Youtube.

Check it out.

This is really good, subscribed to the channel. Something like that is what I wanna do. Are they funding themselves or for they have backers?

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
This is really good, subscribed to the channel. Something like that is what I wanna do. Are they funding themselves or for they have backers?

Funding themselves they have a kickstarter or indiegogo going right now.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Do you think they're gonna lose money, break even, or make a profit off of it?

Going to do a kickstarter to raise funds to do 10 more. Not really expecting to make a "profit". Hopefully get some work off it, if not tax-write off.:ld:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Going to do a kickstarter to raise funds to do 10 more. Not really expecting to make a "profit". Hopefully get some work off it, if not tax-write off.:ld:

Were you just the writer or did you do more? Are you doing any marketing for the webisode?

Also kinda OT but awkward black girl sold a tv show to ABC :ehh:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Were you just the writer or did you do more? Are you doing any marketing for the webisode?

Also kinda OT but awkward black girl sold a tv show to ABC :ehh:

Writer/producer/creator along with my wife, directed one ep. Been trying to market on social media twitter,facebook etc. haven't spent any money on ads yet, not sure if I'm going to. Friend of a friend put me in touch with one of the producers of Awkward Black Girl who hooked me up with some crew members. Got some other industry connects (black hollywood is really small) so hopefully can parlay that into something once we create a big enough buzz.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
FML

Got a dope gig writing scripts for a tech start-up funded in London and NY.

They were hooked up with colleges, universities, experts and professors worldwide, reviewing cutting edge tech (the type of stuff that gets funded on Kickstarter and is in it's development stages not "the new iPhone" etc.)

The reviews were gonna be in the form of a running TV show/single cam comedy style. Actors were hired, location wasn't rented, but bought (These people bought an entire office space that was top to bottom glass, it was beautiful) set dressed, award winning director on board...

Founder/head and the heartbeat of the company just found out he has non hodgkin's lymphoma and production stopped.

I feel bad, not just because of the opportunity, but because I met the guy, and he really was passionate about this project. He was at production meeting he didn't need to be at because he loved this shyt.