The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
damn forgot all about this thread, what the update with some of you guys?

Recently wrote a spec sample for Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham games)

They're looking for a scriptwriter and wanted a scene from Arkham City re-written so I thought 'What the hell...' n did it.

I know I won't get it, or even hear back but it's got me itchin' for a job writing in gaming and after speaking to a recruiter that shyt sounds damn near impossible if you're not a 50 year old white dude with novels under his belt.

:scusthov:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i havent written a god damn thing. all i do is plan and stop.

I got an offer for $5000+ to write a web series, but the guy wanted 13 scripts in 60 days, which i told him would be nearly impossible. i told him I'd give it a shot, but I'd prefer he knock it down a bit b/c thats too damn much... especially when the idea wasn't strong and i would be starting from absolute scratch. he wanted to make a web series based on 2 characters from a 3 page short I wrote. I never had any intention for it to be more than a 3 page short. He gets back to me and says I'm 100% right and they were trying to do too much in too short a time, so now I'm trying to negotiate something else. so that kinda sucks, but I can't bind myself to a contract I wouldnt fulfill... and if I did somehow write 312 pages from absolute scratch in 2 months, the product would be absolute dogshyt. he's telling me not to worry about story... not for nothing but yeah thanks for the money, but i dont want a total mail-in associated with my name. anything i get paid to write should propel me further, not draw people away from me. A bunch of funny jokes are great, but it needs to follow a story arc.

im "writing" a pilot for a guy in LA, who is also rushing me (these dudes dont get it, it takes time, i cant churn out a script from scratch in a fukkin week, it wont even be semi-good)

and outside of that, I have 2 screenplay ideas plotted out, but no progress is being made. Eventually I'll crack into them, but i have a shytty job now that is taking up all my time

my sunny is still the #1 script on that site after all this time, but i haven't so much as logged in for like 2 months.

If anyone wants to "talk shop" and let me spitball my ideas at them, pm me, I'm always down for crowd sourcing

oh and I write shytty articles for a website for like $15 a pop... but I'm procrastinating on those as well, not enough money to care.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
i havent written a god damn thing. all i do is plan and stop.

I got an offer for $5000+ to write a web series, but the guy wanted 13 scripts in 60 days, which i told him would be nearly impossible. i told him I'd give it a shot, but I'd prefer he knock it down a bit b/c thats too damn much... especially when the idea wasn't strong and i would be starting from absolute scratch. he wanted to make a web series based on 2 characters from a 3 page short I wrote. I never had any intention for it to be more than a 3 page short. He gets back to me and says I'm 100% right and they were trying to do too much in too short a time, so now I'm trying to negotiate something else. so that kinda sucks, but I can't bind myself to a contract I wouldnt fulfill... and if I did somehow write 312 pages from absolute scratch in 2 months, the product would be absolute dogshyt. he's telling me not to worry about story... not for nothing but yeah thanks for the money, but i dont want a total mail-in associated with my name. anything i get paid to write should propel me further, not draw people away from me. A bunch of funny jokes are great, but it needs to follow a story arc.

im "writing" a pilot for a guy in LA, who is also rushing me (these dudes dont get it, it takes time, i cant churn out a script from scratch in a fukkin week, it wont even be semi-good)

and outside of that, I have 2 screenplay ideas plotted out, but no progress is being made. Eventually I'll crack into them, but i have a shytty job now that is taking up all my time

my sunny is still the #1 script on that site after all this time, but i haven't so much as logged in for like 2 months.

If anyone wants to "talk shop" and let me spitball my ideas at them, pm me, I'm always down for crowd sourcing

oh and I write shytty articles for a website for like $15 a pop... but I'm procrastinating on those as well, not enough money to care.

I write a lot of shytty articles for a day job :russ:

LA is expensive, gotta make ends meet. Is the site you write for actively hiring or a personal come up you came across?

And you may have mentioned it before, but where do you live now?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I saw an ad on craigslist and sent them links to my commercial blog i did for like 2 months. They "liked my style" and since then, I've written 5 pretty crappy articles in the same vein where i use elipsis way too much and have fake conversations with people. My blog writing style is very manic. I can write sports or pop culture articles... I really should just write more, b/c it's fun, but I can't be as crass as I was on my own blog and it stifles my "comedy" a lot. I just write irrelevent shyt like this Ranking Subway they don't even proofread lol, the word "impressible" is in this article... impressible. http://www.rsvlts.com/2013/06/07/an-ode-to-geico-and-how-much-we-hate-them/ there are probably a ton of typos in here too, i dont spend too much time reading what i write.

I'm in NJ. the web series was going to be filmed here http://mauifilmstudios.com/ the guy wanted to fly me out there too to write with them. I plan on making this happen eventually. Free trip, plus he offered me a laptop for some reason, and cash on top. good deal.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Hey love this thread, I'm in atlanta but really want to get into screenwriting, i wrote a screenplay for a movie and a pilot episode for a cable tv series, no one worth anything has read them but i always get good praise when people read it, I wanted to know more about this coverage and if anyone had any connects or advice on making any advice on how to make noise in atlanta until i could move to LA, and the first book i read that really got me going was How NOT to write a screenplay

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm just flat writing a pilot i know no one will ever touch with a ten foot pole, but i don't care, hoping it becomes a "calling card" script. it has religious themes, so i expect it to be radioactive, just love the idea so much that i believe it will lead to other things.

that being said, nah it probably won't.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Im gonna write something soon. I actually started but i only have 5 or so pages. Its about previous job experiences.

Got the who stole the cat books, and a couple other script writing books. Going to dl a program called celtx...i think its freeware scriptwriter software.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
just find a free copy of final draft, screw celtx

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Final Draft is industy standard, just use it.