The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Funny that I was thinking of upping this thread, but didn’t. Page competition ending soon. Gonna try it out. Got my script looking much better than when I sent it to AFF.

Im thinking if I should also send in my movie screenplay. The final deadline is next month and i just need to do touch ups on this draft.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
My script failed in both Page and Austin. Has anyone used Blacklist before? Do they accept pilots? I really wanna know what’s wrong with what I have. Austin feedback told me my structure needed to be tighter. I did my touch ups and submitted it to Page.

Are there any other competitions or ways I can try to get my work noticed? I’m so tired and fed up with this 9-5 grind and where I’m at in life. My soul hurts. :mjcry:

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My script failed in both Page and Austin. Has anyone used Blacklist before? Do they accept pilots? I really wanna know what’s wrong with what I have. Austin feedback told me my structure needed to be tighter. I did my touch ups and submitted it to Page.

Are there any other competitions or ways I can try to get my work noticed? I’m so tired and fed up with this 9-5 grind and where I’m at in life. My soul hurts. :mjcry:

I took this up as a hobby and just started again in recent weeks. Thought I had it down and watched a couple of videos and figured, I must be wrong cos my style looks off to other examples.

Just keep grinding fam. Maybe create a website to publicise your stuff? Link it to a podcast and talk about writing? These are both ideas I’ve had and have started working on.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I took this up as a hobby and just started again in recent weeks. Thought I had it down and watched a couple of videos and figured, I must be wrong cos my style looks off to other examples.

Just keep grinding fam. Maybe create a website to publicise your stuff? Link it to a podcast and talk about writing? These are both ideas I’ve had and have started working on.
Do You still have the vids?

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

Bro, don't trip, I know what it's like when you first start, to get those emails/messages where your script gets passed over...the feels :mjcry::mjcry: especially when you see some of the scripts that get chosen over yours. I haven't tried PAGE before but I got through to the Second Round (Top 20%) in the Austin festival twice. A few other competitions (WeScreen Diverse, ScreenCraft) that I've placed as a finalist.

Just keep grinding, and writing/improving on your craft...there are a few sites you can send your script where they will give you feedback. (for a price) to improve before you send to different competitions. (WeScreenplay is a solid one)

I suggest you possibly join Coverfly (Free to join/host your scripts) They compile all the competitions your script are eligible for and you pay to enter them on there.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Bro, don't trip, I know what it's like when you first start, to get those emails/messages where your script gets passed over...the feels :mjcry::mjcry: especially when you see some of the scripts that get chosen over yours. I haven't tried PAGE before but I got through to the Second Round (Top 20%) in the Austin festival twice. A few other competitions (WeScreen Diverse, ScreenCraft) that I've placed as a finalist.

Just keep grinding, and writing/improving on your craft...there are a few sites you can send your script where they will give you feedback. (for a price) to improve before you send to different competitions. (WeScreenplay is a solid one)

I suggest you possibly join Coverfly (Free to join/host your scripts) They compile all the competitions your script are eligible for and you pay to enter them on there.

I'm just so frustrated because I'm tired of working dead end jobs, being unemployed and just getting by. I'm about to hit my mid-30s and my life ain't shyt. It's fukkin tough. :mjcry:

I'm in LA county, i love movies/shows. This is the only thing I wanna do in life. I've been at it for 8 years and have no problem coming up with ideas, characters, plots/storytelling, dialogue. I know I still have things to learn, but I don't know what I'm missing when it comes to a solid script.

Sorry for venting, but I'm caught in the moment of heartache. I'll check out those contests/sites you listed.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

I'm just so frustrated because I'm tired of working dead end jobs, being unemployed and just getting by. I'm about to hit my mid-30s and my life ain't shyt. It's fukkin tough. :mjcry:

I'm in LA county, i love movies/shows. This is the only thing I wanna do in life. I've been at it for 8 years and have no problem coming up with ideas, characters, plots/storytelling, dialogue. I know I still have things to learn, but I don't know what I'm missing when it comes to a solid script.

Sorry for venting, but I'm caught in the moment of heartache. I'll check out those contests/sites you listed.

Nah man, it's all good. You just got to look at it like this; you have an unique POV in this world, i.e write what you know/experience/relate at least, no one can "out-write" you FOR you, if that makes sense. Take all of your experiences and tap into that, you'd be surprised at what you can get.

How many scripts have you written? You say you have no problem coming up with the nuts and bolts of one, (characters, concepts, ideas), so how many do you have in the tuck? The hardest part is starting fam, so just have faith in yourself and chip away at it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Nah man, it's all good. You just got to look at it like this; you have an unique POV in this world, i.e write what you know/experience/relate at least, no one can "out-write" you FOR you, if that makes sense. Take all of your experiences and tap into that, you'd be surprised at what you can get.

How many scripts have you written? You say you have no problem coming up with the nuts and bolts of one, (characters, concepts, ideas), so how many do you have in the tuck? The hardest part is starting fam, so just have faith in yourself and chip away at it.

2 screenplays (a horror and family animated) and 2 pilots (comedy, animated and live action) are "done." I wrote shorts and specs as well. What I mean by "done" is I have the 3 act structure, but I still need to tighten the structuring and do some touch-ups. Since one of my pilots isn't hitting, I'm gonna work on my horror one next. I'm also gonna start on a new screenplay that's been on my mind for some time.

I've never had to take long to finish a first draft for an idea I'm focused on. I think it only took me 2-2 1/2 weeks to do one screenplay, and that's the longest I ever had to do one.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
2 screenplays (a horror and family animated) and 2 pilots (comedy, animated and live action) are "done." I wrote shorts and specs as well. What I mean by "done" is I have the 3 act structure, but I still need to tighten the structuring and do some touch-ups. Since one of my pilots isn't hitting, I'm gonna work on my horror one next. I'm also gonna start on a new screenplay that's been on my mind for some time.

I've never had to take long to finish a first draft for an idea I'm focused on. I think it only took me 2-2 1/2 weeks to do one screenplay, and that's the longest I ever had to do one.

at the bolded, that's a quick turnaround...dope

how long do you take to rewrite each screenplay/pilot? the details are a big part of what separates a good script/idea from the greats.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
at the bolded, that's a quick turnaround...dope

how long do you take to rewrite each screenplay/pilot? the details are a big part of what separates a good script/idea from the greats.

Probably 2-3 days. It's been some time since I touched the screenplays. I fixed like 20% of the pilot I submitted. The first time I submitted it (before these recent touch ups), the only critical feedback was it needing a tighter structure. I did that and submitted it to a different contest (Page); of course it didn't make it.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Probably 2-3 days. It's been some time since I touched the screenplays. I fixed like 20% of the pilot I submitted. The first time I submitted it (before these recent touch ups), the only critical feedback was it needing a tighter structure. I did that and submitted it to a different contest (Page); of course it didn't make it.

I feel you. What I normally do is write it out, get feedback (on structure, errors, dialogue, plot) from a few people/professional coverage to see if there are common "problems". Then when I get that back, I go in and try to do some rewrites. Take a step back for a while, in order to get a fresh set of eyes on it. Then maybe touch it up again. (Get more feedback) It's a process bro. I go through a few versions/drafts before I typically enter it into contests.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Started a new project recently; getting back into it after taking 2 weeks off. First project since 2019 and I forgot how much fun it is to come up with ideas.

I’m already 40+ pages deep and have outlines that are at least 15-20 pages. Structure is probably the last main thing I needed to work on and I went into this project with proper knowledge on it.

I hope to finish the first draft before mid-October. I know I woulda been deeper into the project if I didn’t chill for a weed break. Back to sobering up for at least a month and change. :obama:

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
Started a new project recently; getting back into it after taking 2 weeks off. First project since 2019 and I forgot how much fun it is to come up with ideas.

I’m already 40+ pages deep and have outlines that are at least 15-20 pages. Structure is probably the last main thing I needed to work on and I went into this project with proper knowledge on it.

I hope to finish the first draft before mid-October. I know I woulda been deeper into the project if I didn’t chill for a weed break. Back to sobering up for at least a month and change. :obama:

What did you read/watch on structure?