The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
What did you read/watch on structure?

Honestly, I can't recall much. I went back and read some parts in the Screenwriter's Bible book. I've been watching lots of movies recently and trying to pinpoint key moments and what time they're at. I'm getting better at being on point. (For certain films there are plot point breakdowns online.)

It's easier to keep tabs on your own work. As soon as I crossed 25 pages I knew I had to end the first act. I wrote about 6-8 more pages to finish it. My screenplay is an animated comedy, so the first act shouldn't be long.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Coli fam lending a hand by reading and giving feedback on scripts? :ohhh:

Can someone read my pilot that wasn’t good enough to reach the next round of some contests? Curious to see what others think the problem is. It’s an animated comedy.

Daps
:blessed: Ahh shyt. I gotta be more active on this shyt.

gearing up to write the second draft of my feature, although this feels more like a first draft cause I’m changing so much.

recently started using brain mapping to get my thoughts out before writing, I think this should work for me.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got back from the Austin Film Festival and damn, that was a great weekend. Linked up with writers I knew from my writer's group as well as a Facebook screenwriting group that I'm in. Watched panels with Peter Hedges (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, About a Boy) David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Carlito's Way), Scott Frank (Queen's Gambit, Logan, Out of Sight) and Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow, Dolemite is My Name, Coming 2 America) and they dropped a ton of gems and interesting stories about their work. Also randomly spotted Korey from Double Toasted at the bar lol

Had the chance to pitch some of my projects to an agent with CAA during a roundtable event that my boy helped me get into. I think I did well though ultimately my stuff wasn't what she was looking for (I also made the mistake of describing one of my scripts as "mid-budget" rather than "low budget" Seems like producers are looking for high concept but ultra low budget scripts). I ended up meeting a short film director who liked one of my pitches. I sent him one of my scripts, hoping he digs it.

Besides all the networking I did with everyone there, it was just a fun weekend overall. Lots of parties, good food and Austin is a dope city. I still don't think I would've gone if I wasn't a semifinalist (being in the semis gets you a huge discount) but if you got the money to go, I'd definitely recommend going. It was a great event and it'll have you inspired to write 10 scripts once you leave.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Got back from the Austin Film Festival and damn, that was a great weekend. Linked up with writers I knew from my writer's group as well as a Facebook screenwriting group that I'm in. Watched panels with Peter Hedges (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, About a Boy) David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Carlito's Way), Scott Frank (Queen's Gambit, Logan, Out of Sight) and Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow, Dolemite is My Name, Coming 2 America) and they dropped a ton of gems and interesting stories about their work. Also randomly spotted Korey from Double Toasted at the bar lol

Had the chance to pitch some of my projects to an agent with CAA during a roundtable event that my boy helped me get into. I think I did well though ultimately my stuff wasn't what she was looking for (I also made the mistake of describing one of my scripts as "mid-budget" rather than "low budget" Seems like producers are looking for high concept but ultra low budget scripts). I ended up meeting a short film director who liked one of my pitches. I sent him one of my scripts, hoping he digs it.

Besides all the networking I did with everyone there, it was just a fun weekend overall. Lots of parties, good food and Austin is a dope city. I still don't think I would've gone if I wasn't a semifinalist (being in the semis gets you a huge discount) but if you got the money to go, I'd definitely recommend going. It was a great event and it'll have you inspired to write 10 scripts once you leave.

:salute::blessed::wow: out here making moves and THRIVING...doing your thing fam

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

:whew: that's dope as fukk!!

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
A sample for the future. I did an Office one, but I don’t know how decent my structuring is.

I've heard a billion times and I agree, writing a spec for a show that's not on the air isn't the wave. The Office is too old and Married with Children is like 5 generations ago in the world of TV. Do it for fun, but as a sample maybe not

"If you want to be hired in a writers room, this is a critical skill. In 2021, the Warner Bros. Writers’ Workshop, the ViacomCBS Writers Mentoring Program, and the Nickelodeon Writing Program all required a spec script from an existing show." Why You Should Be Writing Spec Scripts of Existing TV Shows - WeScreenplay
:hubie: