The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Think I’m gonna go ahead and put my ideas to paper. Never did any type of screenwriting or anything but ima start.
Any time you have an idea pop into your head, WRITE IT DOWN ASAP. I've lost about a dozen ideas because I thought, "I'll remember it later." :francis:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
@Drew Wonder

BTW, congrats on your award win.

Do you think you'll be able to get an agent or management off of it? Is that something that awards body could help with?

I know there's a strike going on, so I'm wondering how we're meant get in contact with studios etc. without agents. Just another hurdle for brehs I guess.

:lupe:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Drew Wonder

BTW, congrats on your award win.

Do you think you'll be able to get an agent or management off of it? Is that something that awards body could help with?

I know there's a strike going on, so I'm wondering how we're meant get in contact with studios etc. without agents. Just another hurdle for brehs I guess.

:lupe:

Thank you bruh. And idk, I’ve been sending query letters to different production companies, directors etc. mentioning the award. Unfortunately the only contests that will get you immediate attention from managers or agents are Nicholl and Austin

There’s a producer who was a judge in the contest I won who was supposed to be a keynote speaker at the award ceremony but everything was canceled because of COVID.

I had an independent producer reach out to me to express some interest but it didn’t work out (would rather explain that story in a DM)

So right now I’m just trying to network as much as possible

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Thank you bruh. And idk, I’ve been sending query letters to different production companies, directors etc. mentioning the award. Unfortunately the only contests that will get you immediate attention from managers or agents are Nicholl and Austin

There’s a producer who was a judge in the contest I won who was supposed to be a keynote speaker at the award ceremony but everything was canceled because of COVID.

I had an independent producer reach out to me to express some interest but it didn’t work out (would rather explain that story in a DM)

So right now I’m just trying to network as much as possible

I'm bad when it comes to networking, but I know that's how the business works so I have to not only get used to it, but get good at it.

:francis:

I also need to write something new. I have the bones of an idea but I can't seem to flesh it out. I'm not sure if there's not enough there to flesh out or if I'm just procrastinating.

Plus with COVID I've had no motivation other than keeping my current job steady.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm bad when it comes to networking, but I know that's how the business works so I have to not only get used to it, but get good at it.

:francis:

I also need to write something new. I have the bones of an idea but I can't seem to flesh it out. I'm not sure if there's not enough there to flesh out or if I'm just procrastinating.

Plus with COVID I've had no motivation other than keeping my current job steady.

I feel you. With everything going on I haven’t had much motivation to write tbh. Gotta break out of it

if you’re on Facebook though I’d recommend joining the Screenwriters group. A lot of beginners but also some established professionals. I’ve made some good contacts there

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Random script that I found online, David Mamet's Malcolm X screenplay from the early 80's. I read it, it's....interesting :jbhmm: Seems kind of dreamlike compared to Spike's version and comes across more like a bunch of random memories than a standard plot. Mamet's one of the GOATs but I don't think his approach worked here. But it's still an interesting read for those who like reading scripts

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Seeka.Tv Announces Premiere Date For Second Season Of Black On Both Sides
September 16, 2020Michaela P. Shelton

Seeka.tv has announced the premiere date for the second season of Alonge Hawes’s award winning digital series ‘Black On Both Sides’. The second season, titled “Black On Both Sides: Sankofa”, will make it’s first five episodes available for streaming on Monday, October 12th. The series experienced a slight delay in production due to concerns surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, but it seems Hawes and his crew were able to safely and sufficiently finish filming the highly anticipated sophomore season in time for it’s promised Fall release. In addition to the premiere date, an official season synopsis and title for each of the 8 intended episodes have been provided.

Anansi Moor enters the second season of Black On Both Sides grappling with the state of black America as he continues to juggle his quest for personal vengeance and his ambitions for a brighter future. As continued tragedies push him towards the forefront of a revolution, Anansi must decide if his destiny lies in masterminding from the shadows or grasping the reins of leadership, for his choice will irrevocably entrench not only his own fate, but that of his community.

As in it’s first season, every episode of Black On Both Sides: Sankofa will again be titled and inspired by novels from renowned black authors such as James Baldwin, Zora Neale Hurston, and Langston Hughes. Each title will share thematic resonance with the work it is titled upon. The episode titles are as follows.

seasonindex.jpg

The first season of Black On Both Sides was critically acclaimed, earning 4 star reviews from online publications such as Indyred and 22 Indie Street. Series creator Alonge Hawes was bestowed the Diamond Award for Best Director and Best Actor by the L.A. Shorts Awards. The series was also named Best Web/New Media by the Virgin Spring Cinefest. Co-star Shani Hawes was bestowed the Platinum Award for Best Actress by the L.A. Shorts Awards. The second season has been nominated in three categories ahead of its premiere at the 4th annual Minnesota Webfest, including Best Drama.

Black On Both Sides is created, written, and directed by Hawes, who also stars alongside Julian Robinson as Henry Gil Scott Heron, Kiara Woods as Maya Patterson, Shani Hawes as Nandi Chisholm, Scott Piehler as Cyrus Alexander, Roberto Cruz as Quintoni Mason, and Quentin Williams as Saul Matthews. The series is executive produced by Alonge Hawes and George Reese. Shani Hawes, Jamal Mcclendon, Rodderick Fedd, and Cordarol Sanders serve as producers under A Million Stories One Pen Productions.